Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Covering Trim >

Covering Trim

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Covering Trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Trim

I've been looking at several trim schemes and planes with extensive (and complicated) trim schemes. My question is, how is this done to look so perfect? Is it as hard as it looks? For example, lining up the trim scheme with ailerons, elevators, rudder. How do you cut the sceme? Do you apply the trim to the plane and then cut? Do you cover it with a base cover and then trim?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Covering Trim

Not too hard but.... very time consuming! I do it by making what I refer to as skins.

To make a skin I start with a drawing (plan) under a piece of glass and cut the covering material so there is approx. 3/16" over lap when laid out over the drawing.

Then starting with the lightest color first spray a very light spray of water on the glass and then position the first color on the glass a squeegee the water out. Apply the next color in the same way. They can be bonded permanently together using TopFlite Trim Solvent or with a trim iron set as hot as you can get it without causing the covering to shrink.

Continue until you have a completed skin. Over solid areas (fuselage or sheeted wings you can just make the skin on the plane, I use a pencil to lay out the pattern and just overlap the mark by the thickness of the line that way when the next color is applied it is covered by two layers of material and will not show through.

Practice on scrap first.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:42 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Covering Trim

It boils down to this... It's as hard as you want to make it.

The easiest thing to do is to cover your plane 1 color, but it's not recommended.

A two color scheme allows you to have the needed contrasting colors that enable you to see the plane better against light/dark backgrounds.

The more colors you add, and the more complicated the design, the more difficult it becomes.

To do things like line up one side with the other, you simply measure from a specific point ("ok, the red stripe ends 3 1/2" from the end of the aileron, so it has to be the same on the other side". Etc.)

Sometimes it's easier to put a detail, on top of the base covering, and sometimes it makes more sense NOT to have covering under a trim piece. Every color scheme is different.

You can even do the same scheme several different ways. On my first Ultra Sport, I had a blue band with white stars on top of a white base. I cut the stars out of the blue to let the white base show through. On the second one I built, I added white stars on top of the blue. So in many cases, the choice is yours.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Default Covering Trim

The best tool I've found for doing this is a 4 foot straightedge. I cover the whole plane first. Usually white. I may leave solid edges, like a leading edge bare, but be careful, sometimes a covering will have a different look if it is over white compared to bare wood. Then I make templates with big pieces of paper and fit them on the plane first for a check. When everything is right I cut out the trim covering with the straightedge and an exacto knife. Be careful to cut your trim the right way with your glue side . Make sure you punch pin holes in your base covering anywhere you are trimming over, or else you will have bubbles everywhere. I feel that the extra work is well worth it.