Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Looking for a self-teaching trainer >

Looking for a self-teaching trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for a self-teaching trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a self-teaching trainer

A friend of mine just bought a Super Cub a few weeks ago and got me looking into the hobby as well. I've read a lot of the posts on this forum and it seems like most if not all recommend getting an instructor and starting with one of several Trainer models. As far as the time goes, that's just not an option right now. Also, due to maintenance and time committment gas is probably not a good way to start either.

So I'm thinking electric and foam are the way to go for a self-teaching starter plane.

His Super Cub as taken a couple good beatings including getting stuck in a tree and being knocked out with a football. Plenty of epoxy later it's still flying. The only reservation I have is that the Cub is a 3 channel and I fear I'll get bored with it quick after a couple dozen flights.

Is there a comperable 4 channel plane that would be acceptable for someone with no experience or should I just go with the Cub? Are there other self-teaching trainers out there? I read through the getting started threads and it looks like all of those pretty much require some experienced assistance.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM

Default RE: Looking for a self-teaching trainer

I think you know what answers your going to get on this one.

I'm a newbie as well so I can't help with planes but I am still going to make a comment or two. Are you saying you don't have time for an instructor? Going it alone will take you much much more time and money. Being buddy boxed to an experienced pilot will allow you to fly longer and more often because you will avoid crashing and repairing your plane.

Brian
Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered Electric Trains?

Seriously though, You're just going to have to find some time and a little money to do this right. Get with a local club and talk with some instructors there. You will probably find that at least one is retired and willing to work with you almost at any time you are available within reason. You've seen what your friend is going through and it probably won't be any easier for you no matter what type of plane you get if you try it on your own.
Contact the club. Questions are free.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM

I don't think there's such a thing as a self-teaching plane that's not going to be boring after a few dozen flights. When you're learning, things hapen fast and you need a slow plane to give you time to react. A big, slow electric glider might get you started, but as you're soon going to hear, learning to fly by yourself isn't a time-saver.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1fastdoc
<<snip>> Are there other self-teaching trainers out there? I read through the getting started threads and it looks like all of those pretty much require some experienced assistance.
Just looking at your post, I believe an RC Flight Simulator would work for you. After mastering that, you could decide whether you want to proceed on to models.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-30-2006, 01:31 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If you insist on going it alone just be prepared for some frustrating moments. I would suggesst finding one of the cheapest slowest flying planes to start. there is no doubt you will trash it eventually. Find a feild with plenty of un-obstructed view and play away!
Another suggestion is try to find a hobby shop that has a simulator on display. take advantage of experimentng on that as much as possible. they will let you continue to use so long as you are loyal to their store.
This is a wonderful, exciting and addicting hobby, i wish you the best!!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: r/cmark42

If you insist on going it alone just be prepared for some frustrating moments. I would suggesst finding one of the cheapest slowest flying planes to start. there is no doubt you will trash it eventually. Find a feild with plenty of un-obstructed view and play away!
Another suggestion is try to find a hobby shop that has a simulator on display. take advantage of experimentng on that as much as possible. they will let you continue to use so long as you are loyal to their store.
This is a wonderful, exciting and addicting hobby, i wish you the best!!

I kind of figured this would be the response, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an option I was overlooking. I guess part of it is my desire to go out and get something that I can put up in the air as soon as possible. The other issue is cost and the current lack of funds. As a Christmas gift I have about a $300 budget all said and done and little money to allocate in the near future.

I did spend some time at a hobby shop on one of the simulators. It wasn't pretty.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM

You can Download FMS (Flying Model Sim) It's freeware and it will give you some chance of understanding how to control certain models. you will have to get a controller that you can plug into your USB port of course but at least its cheap not time consuming and you will make less costly mistakes.
Once you got a bit of background pop down to the LHS and see what they have available.
I think the begin Air would be a good choice as a 1st plane its 4 ch a freind of mine has one and it flew nice and stable and its a RTR.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I should of mentioned that I am self -taught. It was terribly expesive (Fun, yes, but expensive). I'm fairly sure I would b a much better pilot as well had I worked with someone originally. Who knows what bad habits I have aquired
Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 PM

4ch + Begginer = Trouble, money, time, anger, and so on.

Get a 3 ch to start with i am preety sure you wont get board, and then when you can fly that ethier sell it and get a 4ch or just add to the collection and get a 4ch...

I personaly dont use a instructer i am good with airplanes and dont have the time for one. Well i can also add the nearest trainer is at least 2hours away with no traffic.

All in all go with a 3ch..
Old 12-30-2006, 02:55 PM

Check around your local clubs and see if any have trainer planes that you can learn on. See also if anyone has used equipment for sale at club swap meets/auctions. Stay away from EBAY until you have enough experience to know what you are getting. You CAN get into this hobby cheap but NOT with new stuff always. But old stuff has experience, at least I do.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Today I agree with Bruce.

Just got a friend's 13-yr-old flying for under $200.00

Gently used Hitec Flash 5 . . . $75.00

Gently used OS .40 LA . . . 30.00

New Skyraider Mach II . . . 75.77 - (Why should we pay for Tacks, when we don't get them.) (Wonderful Trainer, for someone who is co-ordinated.)

Turkey baster . . . . 2.00 - Put squeeze bulb on the top of a plastic soda bottle, which was cut off just below the neck, leaving some flare. Drill hole smaller than brass or plastic tube. Cut end of tube to sharp point like hypo needle, force into cap. Use the other (long) part as a chicken stick.

D Cell 1.00 - And a strip of aluminum with a small hole in it, the back bent over the cell. Hang it on the Plug by the hole and the + end on the side of the cylinder.

Gallon of fuel . . . 15.00 - (There are tacks there, too.)

Here we pay 8.25 % for our tacks. (my wife hates it when I say things like "Potatoes Au Gratin!! And they have cheese on them, too!!)

Try what Bruce wrote!!!!!

Ken Erickson
San Antonio, TX
Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 PM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCXF4**&P=ML
This is an economical RTF but it won't leave much on your budget for field equipment. They do offer a variety of payment plans though that may help.
Good little trainer that many have learned with.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bruce has a great suggestion of a solid trainer with a radio and engine for a second plane for a reasonable price.
I beg to differ with a previous poster, but getting a 3ch plane is a bit of a waist of $$ you may not become bored with a 3ch but you will end up having to spend twice when you are ready to advance to a better plane most all planes trainer or otherwise have elevator,rudder, ailerons, and throttle. 4ch required for control.
with a 3ch radio you have rudder,elevator,and throttle with no room to expand when you improve your skills.if you want to fly a basic 3ch plane great but you might want to get a 4ch radio for when you get that next plane.
finding a club or just a expierenced pilot to help you out is the best way to be sucessful in this hobby,a simulator would be a second so when you are not actually flying you are still getting stick time.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Park Zone has a cub which is under$200 will fly gently enough in open grass field to practice with. electric /cox engine boosted gliders make excellent trainers & between regular flying session practice planes. & flying a glider is not boring! try to keep it up there longer takes real skill & knowlege of weather.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 AM

i think a simulator is important but stories of people trying to "go it alone" and end up crashing are a dime and dozen. if you do plan to go solo from the beginning, please do spend time on a simulator and make sure you do your flying away, far away, from any people.

my friend started with a little electric cub. it went up and came down in a spectacular crash between two people. needless to say, he got an earful from those guys and a scolding from a bunch of other bystanders. plus, it broke into a thousand peices. within a matter of seconds he wrote off a nearly $200 investment. yes... even michael jordan would bend down to pick that up.

my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to teach yourself on an electric...
- read and study (the forums is a good starting place)
- get a simulator (FMS is a free download, just google for "FMS simulator". I did not get version 8.x to run on my XP but version 7 works. Others have had no problems. I just use the keyboard for control: getting the perspective/point of view was/is the main point for me.)
- Get a slow foamy and a decent radio. GWS Slow Stick and Beaver are popular choices. I took the E-Starter but it is relatively "fast".
- find a large flat area on a day when there is no wind.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother got one of these recently and we've been having a ball with it. And we both agree that it would be a great first-step:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=HBZ7100