Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
How to best clean an engine? >

How to best clean an engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to best clean an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to best clean an engine?

Hi all,

I have an OS .46 FX that needs some cleaning. It has never been crashed, but does have some grass / week residue from the prop contacting the long grass at the edge of the field over the past year. The Carb is clean (to the best of my knowledge), its just the outer casing that's dirty. The engine is on the front of a driller, so it is completely exposed (no cowl or fuselage to cover it), and I would just like to look a little better.

What is the best way to clean the exterior (ideally without having to disassemble the inner workings - I am not that comfortable)?

Thanks for your help,

John
Old 01-29-2003, 03:38 PM

For quick external cleaning, I like using carb or brake cleaner in the pressurized cans...from the automotive department at Wally World...it's pretty cheap too. A wirebrush works real good for getting off the burned on oil. MAKE SURE the carb opening is covered as well as the fuel inlet and vent nipples when your cleaning.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:54 AM

Tattoo,

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like it will work well.

-John
Old 01-30-2003, 02:01 AM
My Feedback: (3)

I have a really dirty engine (OS .25 SF) not even sure if it works. What i did was opened the back and wiped out all the oil and gunk. Is this harmful for the engine?
Old 01-30-2003, 02:13 AM

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/engines.htm

That will show you how to REALLY get an engine clean. But I'm talking about when it is covered with burnt oil, etc.

For post flight cleaning, I just use an air compressor and a soft bristled brush. I don't use any kinds of solvents or such.

FYI - if you wipe the crud from your engine after each flight, you'll have much less burnt crud on it. Usually burnt oil is a sign of an engine that is over-heating if it's on the engine and not just the muffler.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 AM

PaPa-NeGeorgeo - No, it won't hurt anything to pull the backplate and wipe out the engine. You should almost never have to open an engine though.

Just be careful when pulling the backplate. Sometimes the gasket is stuck partly on the backplate and partly on the engine. If you tear the gasket you'll need to replace it with a new one.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:51 AM
My Feedback: (13)

The very best method I have found is to get an old crock pot, fill it half full of regular auto antifreeze and "cook" the engine parts for several hours in the antifreeze. It will dissolve baked on castor better then anything I have ever used. The engine comes out cleaner than a store bought chicken! Sound wierd but it really works.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by CCRC1
The very best method I have found is to get an old crock pot, fill it half full of regular auto antifreeze and "cook" the engine parts for several hours in the antifreeze. It will dissolve baked on castor better then anything I have ever used. The engine comes out cleaner than a store bought chicken! Sound wierd but it really works.
CCRC1 - I've had several people tell me they use anti-freeze to clean their engines with good success. I've never tried it personally. You mention that it takes several hours to clean the engines though.

I started using the method I put on my site (see my last post) because it is what Clarence Lee recommends. It works wonders and only takes a few minutes. The worst part I ever cleaned was the muffler from my Raptor that gets castor cooked all over it in just a few flights. It takes about 5 minutes to come clean. Most engines come clean in under a minute. Give it a try sometime.