Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Control Line Plane Converted To Rc >

Control Line Plane Converted To Rc

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Control Line Plane Converted To Rc

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Line Plane Converted To Rc

HELLO RC PLANE FANATICS.

I HAVE A QEUSTION OK YOU KNOW THOSE GLOW POWERED PLANES THAT ARE CONTROL BY A CONTROL LINE. I WAS WOUNDERING IF YOU ADDED A MICRO RADIO GEAR IN IT WILL IT FLY.

IS THIS POSSIBLE

PLEASE ANY INFO ON THIS

[email protected]

AOL SCREEN NAME: NITRORACER2006
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51311_18718.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	31720  
Old 01-30-2003, 02:22 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Default UC to RC conversion

It ceartainly has been done in the past. The RC Nobler is a convert and is still being produced in kit form by Great Planes.

The problem with the plane pictured is hinging the surfaces and getting the control linkages made in the plastic material. Not impossible but you may have better luck starting with a kit and building in the necessary parts. Herr engineering (now part of Sig Mfg.) has some nice designs.

EXCAP232
Old 01-30-2003, 03:10 AM

DO YOU KNOW WERE I MAYBE CAN FIND SOME PICS OF PLANE CONVERTED
Old 01-30-2003, 09:47 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Conversion pictures

You might try searching the archives at MAN (model airplane news) or RCM (radio control modeler) magazines and see if they have pictures. Both have websites however I'm not sure if this type of thing is possible.

One of my all time favorite conversions was called the "Cheapmunk" and was a conversion of the Sig UC Chipmunk kit. It was in RCM from the early 70's. The cover has a orange and blue J&J Eyeball (with lovely model) in front of the Dremel factory.
This changed the plane to a low wing and converted to tricycle gear. I have one of the kits and plan to convert it using the wing tube method much like the Sig Somethin' Extra. This kit is still in production.

I have a spare copy (cover damaged but contents readable). I will sent it to you if you like. Send your address to me by PM.

EXCAP232
Old 01-30-2003, 12:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey NOS2006, is that old cox for sale? send me a message. theres no way you could get that thing to fly on its own power with rc gear even if you swiss cheesed all the plastic out of it and recovered it, maybe with a 1/2 mile runway but by the time if lifted off it'd be out fuel..........Rog
Old 01-30-2003, 03:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a much bigger problem with the plane pictured, i.e., the relative sizes of the prop and wing. While being flown on strings, the strings will counteract the torque. Without the strings attached, that baby will want to roll like crazy!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:13 PM

Rog is right. It is worth more selling it than trying to make it fly as an RC model. It won't fly RC fashion. Heck, it will hardly fly controlline! I fly both, and (with a couple of exceptions) those plastic Cox models are some of the most difficult to fly CL planes ever devised. I think they were a plot to discourage CL flying. There is a market out there among collectors of the the Cox line, however, if you can just tap into it. Good luck, Dzl