Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 First Timer - Need Help Choosing Trainer >

First Timer - Need Help Choosing Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Timer - Need Help Choosing Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Timer - Need Help Choosing Trainer

I have been reading this forum and other Beginner forums for the past couple weeks. I am interested in the glow powered Trainer kits and have done alot of research to find the best suited trainer. I have narrowed down my options down to two trainers I found to be almost perfect for the Beginner builder and flyer.

1) Sig Kadet Senior Trainer Kit
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFF89&P=0

2) Telemaster 40
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tel40gas.htm

I have read alot about the Kadet Senior in the forums but no so much about the Telemaster though I found out about the Telemaster through my local hobby store.
I am just seeking some extra advice from experts and I was told that this was the place to come.

Thanks for your help, I will greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Default RE: First Timer - Need Help Choosing Trainer

G'day Mate,
You can't go wrong with either of em. But go & find a club, & an instructor, in your local area, they will have their own thoughts on the best trainer as well.
Same thing goes for radios, but look closely at the Spektrum DX7, the future is here, NOW.
Check em out here, http://www.spektrumrc.com/
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree. You can't miss with either one of them. Just a matter of personal choice. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the advice Dave and Alan, I have found a club in my area and will be visiting them in a couple days (busy schedule). I am leaning more towards the Sig Kadet Senior, since i want an easy first couple flights (without crashing and totaling the plane ) and the Kadet does that without the use of ailerons. (is it smart to start without the use of ailerons??)
I am not too worried about the build since i will be having time each week to commit to building.
Also i checked out the radio alan reccomended and it is impressive though a little costy (being a 7 channel radio), but if im going to be serious in this hobby i may have to invest for the best success.
Thanks again for your support
Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
My Feedback: (12)

No, it isn't smart to begin to learn to fly without using ailerons. None of the instructors at our club would start off a new student using rudder and elevator, only. Our instructors for the first flight or two, depending on the student, (simulator time if any, dexterity, etc.) limit the student to the right stick, elevator and ailerons. This gets the student used to the two control surfaces which contol, at least in part, altitude (pitch) and direction.

Find a good instructor at your local club. They will be glad to assist you.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Ailerons are your friend.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with flying without ailerons. That's the way I learned to fly 30+ years ago, and I still have several planes that are rudder/elevator. Most flyers today haven't flown a plane without ailerons so they don't realize how well they fly. You would be surprised how aerobatic a rudder/elevator plane can be. To a good instructor, it doesn't matter if the plane has ailerons or not, only that is controllable in all flight regimes. The Sig Kadet was designed with out ailerons for the simplicity and flies just fine with out them.

Now if you want a real challenge, try single channel - that's rudder only. No throttle control, no elevator, and no ailerons.

Hogflyer
Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with ailerons. It actually makes the plane easier to control.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, seems like starting a trainer with ailerons is the advantage over non-ailerons.
And after talking to a trainer from my local club, he also suggested that flying with ailerons is a better first time flying experience, but he did'nt go in to detail on my choices for trainers. He answered all of my questions (including the Kadet Senior over the Telemaster 40 since it is easier to fly) except, which trainers are easy to build and the harder ones.
I stated in my earlier reply that i am not too much worried about the build. Well now i am getting a little worried after doing research on the Kadet Senior. I have never built any stick R/C airplane kits, but would like to start out with one since i do have the time. What i read about the Kadet Senior was that the build can get a little complicated for begginers. Any input on that opinion would help lots.
Also if I do choose the Sig Kadet Senior, does the instruction/plans describe a way to install (bsaic) ailerons?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Wanted to chime in here. I've still got my Senior Kadet that I purchased used when I started flying. The builder installed ailerons and my personal opinion is that you SHOULD have them on your trainer. I'd throw in my vote for the Senior and if you buy the ARF, it has ailerons already, the kit doesn't but you can build them in easy enough. My dad (the builder of the family) put together another wing for the Senior that doesn't have nearly the dihedral as the first one and it really opened up the plane to do more advanced stuff. Anyone that tells you that you'll outgrow your trainer and never use it again is definitely mistaken or really missing out on a lot. I've got aerobats and warbirds but the Senior with that flat wing is my everyday flier. You can't go wrong with the Senior.

(Now I'll get on my soapbox) Just because the booklet says you CAN fly a Senior with a 46 engine, doesn't mean you SHOULD fly it with one. I had a 50 Saito in mine and it would make it off the ground but there was so much more I was leaving on the table. Personal opinion (and flame suit on) but the Senior with a 65 2-cycle or a 72 4-cycle is the perfect combination for the beginner or the experienced flyer. It'll teach you throttle control for altitude and it just sounds better when the engine isn't working at full throttle just to keep it going. I've got a 91 in mine and LOVE IT! Maybe that's not for everyone but don't sell yourself short either. There's plenty of plane there for a little larger engine.

You won't regret the Senior!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
My Feedback: (7)

All the planes you have discussed are good flying planes. The Sig Senior is a terriffic model to fly, but I don't recommend it as a primary trainer because it is basically a stick model. A trainer sometimes leads a hard life and "durablity" is a prime requisit. Consider the Sig LT 40, either kit built or ARF. It is one of the best trainers out there. I also learned on a three channel trainer 30 years ago (Sig Kadet). That was before buddy boxes and ready availablity of instructors. The Kadet was my successful trainer after I had demolished several other kits in the learning process. Following that, I built and flew a 4 channel Sig Kougar. It was re-learning all over again with some tense moments, but the plane survived my efforts.

Best bet with instruction available to you is to go 4 channel from the first. Later, you may want to get a 3 channel knock around plane to fly, just for the fun of it. Enjoy the hobby.