Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Comprehensive battery guide for a beginner >

Comprehensive battery guide for a beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Comprehensive battery guide for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comprehensive battery guide for a beginner

After a 17 year hiatus, I've decided to get back into the hobby. Specifically, I'm sprucing up a sailplane I built from a Carl Goldberg kit back in the day. I have selected my new radio (Spektrum DX6) but I plead for some help on batteries. There are so many different kinds it's a bit mind numbing. If someone could point out comprehensive online primer on batteries, I would greatly appreciate it! My poor googling skills just pile more information than I can absorb. Ultimately, I want to get the best battery to power my receiver and servos.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:33 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Comprehensive battery guide for a beginner

Not that much has changed. There are just more choices. You can still run NiCD, but now you can also run NiMH, Li-Ion and Li-Polymer. You will be fine with NiCD or NiMH unless you want to save weight and get into Li-ions. There are some people using Li-po for RX, but that is just not something I would recommend.

The best battery is the one you are comfortable and SAFE with. Get a good NiCD or NiMH pack for around $10 and go fly. You can get fancy later on. I have over 1k in batteries and regs and that does not include chargers. Keep it simple for now.

Have fun!!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:16 AM

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Not that much has changed. There are just more choices. You can still run NiCD, but now you can also run NiMH, Li-Ion and Li-Polymer. You will be fine with NiCD or NiMH unless you want to save weight and get into Li-ions. There are some people using Li-po for RX, but that is just not something I would recommend.

The best battery is the one you are comfortable and SAFE with. Get a good NiCD or NiMH pack for around $10 and go fly. You can get fancy later on. I have over 1k in batteries and regs and that does not include chargers. Keep it simple for now.

Have fun!!

Plain and simple. Good answer too. Just get a good battery pack to use while you are exploring the options. I use NiCD's. But there is nothing wrong with the others.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what kind of distances your planning to run that sail plane but the dx6 is a park flyer system not designed for long distance high flying the last I heard. A dx7 would be a better choice I think.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Great advise to keep it simple. I'll definitely do that. So looks like I'll be researching more on NiCD as I get started.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM

I plan on using a simple hi-start for launching. I don't think I'll get it much higher than a few hundred ft. My old Airtronics radio did ok... is the DX6 limited in range? I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Nicd is good as well as Ni-mh, as Nimh is more heavier than NiCd and Nimh is more MA (milliamperes) as NiCd.

Mody