Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 reversing a brushless motor >

reversing a brushless motor

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

reversing a brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversing a brushless motor

I have a gee bee 3d with an extra motor and esc. I would like to use it with a flying wing that I made from scratch but I need to reverse the spin of the motor. Can anyone tell me how. On my other motors with 2 wires you just reverse the wires but i'm not sure what to do with this it has 3 wires.

thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: reversing a brushless motor

switch any two wires.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

I'm assuming that you are doing this to make the prop a pusher, but it is much more efficiant to buy a pusher prop and keep the motor spinning the right way. If you reverse the motor your prop will be spinning backwards, meaning now the leading edge will be the trailing edge making it much less efficient.

Austin
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: acarter

I'm assuming that you are doing this to make the prop a pusher, but it is much more efficiant to buy a pusher prop and keep the motor spinning the right way. If you reverse the motor your prop will be spinning backwards, meaning now the leading edge will be the trailing edge making it much less efficient.

Austin
I don't think so. The motor will face the back, but the prop will be installed with the LE now next to the motor instead of the opposite from the motor. The motor will now turn counterclockwise instead of clockwise. The leading edge will still be the leading edge.

Is this correct?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jagnweiner

ORIGINAL: acarter

Austin
I don't think so. The motor will face the back, but the prop will be installed with the LE now next to the motor instead of the opposite from the motor. The motor will now turn counterclockwise instead of clockwise. The leading edge will still be the leading edge.

Is this correct?

Didn't even think of this. And yes it should work
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM
My Feedback: (13)

There are three wires coming from the speed control to the motor. Switch any two of these and the direction of rotation will switch. And always put the prop on such that the face of the prop is pointing in the direction the plane flies. The face usually has lettering on it such as "7 x 5", etc. . If you put the prop on backwards, the plane will still fly forward, but not very efficiently.