Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 plane building >

plane building

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

plane building

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane building

I have been given a LT-40 and when I opened the box I was very overwhelmed with the many pieces to put together. Is this an easy plane to put together. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. Attempt to build or ????????
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Default RE: plane building

The Sig LT-40 is one of the best beginner planes.
Here is a link to a very thorough build thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3439708
By all means build it. Look through the thread I linked and if you have any questions come back here and ask.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Don't worry, it's not as hard as you first think. Just go slowly and take it one step at a time and follow the manual. You'll feel great when it is all done and flying. (I'm assuming you got a manual with this?)
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto.

You're making the same mistake most people make - You're seeing all those parts at once.

Just do the first step.

Then do the second step.

Before you know it, all those parts will be gone and an airplane will be in their place
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They're low on the food chain for easy kits. I helped an Explorer Post build four of them in four teeny-boppers per team. We all had a blast. All flew, all survived and all were assembled by totally different approaches. One team used two 8oz. bottles of Titebond, another used 1/2 of a bottle. I don't think you can mis-build an LT-40 if you take your time and follow the guide. Measure twice, cut once.

Be happy it's not a box of unmarked balsa sheets, blocks and sticks. Some "builder's kits" are not far removed from sending you a balsa log and letting you work with that.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Be happy it's not a box of unmarked balsa sheets, blocks and sticks. Some "builder's kits" are not far removed from sending you a balsa log and letting you work with that.
Naw, a true builder's kit sends you the seeds and you have to grow your own tree!!!!

Ken
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only easy mistake to make is getting the firewall glued in backward. Holes for steerable nose gear and throttle are specific in location.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
You're making the same mistake most people make - You're seeing all those parts at once.
This is a very good point. Even the most complicates things are just made up of a bunch of smaller, simple things. Attack it as a bunch of little mini projects and it is done in no time.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: hawkly

I have been given a LT-40 and when I opened the box I was very overwhelmed with the many pieces to put together. Is this an easy plane to put together. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. Attempt to build or ????????
Hawkly, you won't regret the build. It will be a great experience and it will help you to fix any of the planes that you may damage in the future. Let alone it will be lots of fun. I am having as much building my plane as I do flying my planes.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM

your getting some great advice, only thing I would add is to read the instructions all the way though at least once. Then if you feel you got a handle on it you could start one step at a time, try and look a couple of steps ahead and understand them before doing a step. That might save some mastakes.
AND if you make a mistake (everyone does) don't worry anything can be fixed, just get back online and ask !!!!!!!!!
good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Building trainer aircraft has advantages. As log as you build things reasonable straight and don't skimp on the glue in high stress areas like where the two wing half meet trainers are very forgiving to weak building skills.