Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Quick Question >

Quick Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question

Hey guys, i'm not exactly new to these things but i do have a question. Because my 1st interest is cars, i left behind my plane and i have to ask something.

As we (car guys) break-in our motors, so you i (plane guys, including me of course). But how exactly i must break-in a plane motor? I hear that they put the plane somewhere that can't go further, start the engine and leave the engine run for hours, sounds little crazy for me. Is that a must? Or is it even true? I break-in my motor that way but for only 30 minutes, giving throttle sometimes to clean the engine up. I flew without problems, but i'm asking anyway.

Thanks [8D]
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Quick Question

Break it in by the manufacturers recommendations, and you'll be fine. no Manufacturer, or anyone else in their right mind would suggest you tether the plane and run the engine for hours.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Well, that is also a help, but the car guys sometimes don't follow the manuals because we believe that there is a better way. Well, is wrong that "many hours" break-in we doing? Or is just a waste of engine life? Really, how many tanks have plane engines have? Just curious. In cars we can go through almost 10 tanks (125 cc) without problems
Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Run a tankful of fuel through it with a very rich setting. Occasionally tweak the needle to peak RPM for a few seconds, then bring it back to rich.

After the first tank, fly the plane with the engine slightly rich for about 3 flights and you're good to go.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM

When you saying occasionally, how often exactly? every 2 minutes, 5 or 10. If running in rich settings, the engine will keep running for about a 15-20 minute period, right?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Definitely find a manual. There are two main types of engines that we use: ABC and Ringed. The ABC engine uses a conical shaped cylinder to create the seal between the cylinder and piston, and the ringed uses a ring to create the seal. I believe the ringed engines use a longer, richer break-in period, and the ABC engines use the rich-lean method described above.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM

I know the differences of the 2 categories. For now, i'm using the standar nitro engines. The ringed engines are too big for me right now
Old 05-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Do it 5 or 6 times during the initial run
Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM

For how much time? And how much rpm i must peak? I mean, i must close the needle untill i hear the engine screaming? Or just to "clean" the engine?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Bring it to peak RPM for about 10 - 15 seconds each time.

If you turn the needle to peak RPM and then you hear it start to drop RPM, you have turned it too far. Stop leaning it out and open the needle again or you could damage it.

If you are still unsure of what to do, find some qualified help.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM

No, don't worry. I know when an engine peaks its full rpm But 10-15 second, isn't that too much? But what i'm talking about. The planes are always in that rpm, how silly of my
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM

10-15 seconds at max RPM then turn 1/2 turn rich for 2 or 3 minutes, then lean to max RPM 10 to 15 seconds, then 1/2 turn rich for 2 or 3 minutes keep repeating. All the time at full throttle. Run 2 tanks of fuel and you are done. It takes about 10 minutes per tank.
After break in always run an airplane engine a little rich, about 200 to 300 RPMs on the rich side from max RPM or about 1/8 turn of the needle valve.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Do we measure temps here? I think not, right? Also, when i will know if my engine is fine tuned? There is a sound that can understand? I think i must tune the engine untill it peaks the MAXIMUM able rpm, right?