Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Suggestions for new plane >

Suggestions for new plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Suggestions for new plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for new plane

I'm looking for a new aircraft to stick my O.S. 46 FXI in I've narrowed it down to a few choices and wanted to get thoughts of some people on the board.

1) Hanger 9 Pawnee
2) Sig Somethign Extra 51.5
3) Great Planes Super Sportster 40 MkII
4) Lanier Dart 40

A breif history of what I have flown Nexstar ( this is where the motor will come from)
Goldberg Piper Cub Kit with an O.S. 60 (FP?) I have floats on this plane
Ultra Stick 60 with ST 90

I like to think I fly okay. I've had two crashes since I started in 2006, one being I had the elevator on low rates on the the Nexstar and couldn't pull out of a steep dive, plane is fixable havn't had the motivation yet ( it happend last year) and the 2nd crash was the Ultra Stick I had a deadstick and turned with the wind instead of against this caused me to be ten feet short of the runway I put in down in the soybeans , this has already been fixed.

Two members at the club have the Pawnee however neither has finished putting it together, they think with the large 83in wing span the 46 wouldn't have enough power.

I want a mid to low wing plane if anyone else has suggestions I would be open to those as well.

What is everyone thoughts?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Suggestions for new plane

Your Ultra Sport .60 is a step ahead of all of these planes with regard to aerbatic capability and skills required to fly except perhaps the Sig Somethin' Extra. Were you looking to take a step back and have something more relaxing to fly?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM

No, I want something aerobatic, my problem is finding something that the 46 will fit into and still have the power to go straight up if I so decide. I use my cub for the lazy days as well as flip on the flaps on the stick and hold it in the air like a kite.

What else would you suggest?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Lots of good choices in this category, in no particular order:

Tower Fun 51 kit, Tower Uproar, GP Dazzler, H9 Tango, H9 Twist, Sig Fazer kit, Model Tech Magic V2.0, Model Tech 3Demon Gen II, Seagull Harrier .46, VMar Easy 3D, World Models Fun World 40

Any of these airplanes would be extremely fun to fly and would go straight up with your .46 FXi
Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM

I have a Sig " Something extra", and a Sig "Four Star 40". I also have a Big Stick which is what I mounted my OS.46FXi onto. I also got mine from a Nexstar. I like all three of these planes. The one I always feel good flying is the Stick. I put an APC 10x7 prop on it and it moves fairly fast. I can always grease the landings with this plane. The other two are fun, but not like the Stick. It can do everything that I'm able to do with it and I see no problem in expanding my abilities with it. The second choice for me is the Something Extra. this is a cool plane!

Good luck.
Frank
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM

The Pawnee is definitely not an aerobat. The two people I know who have flown it say it is a Cub with the wing on the bottom. It is powered by a Saito 82. They seem to think a 46 would fly it well as long as your expectation is scale like flight.

I've flown my brother's Super Sportster 60 a little bit. It's a pretty responsive plane, and it came out about a pound overweight compared to the specs on the kit box. I don't know what the 40 size weighs in 'real life' but the specs at Tower say 4.75 to 5 pounds. In that range the 46 should perform pretty well.

The Somethin Extra description lists a weight range of 4.25 to 5 pounds. If you got one at the low end of the range it would be the lightest of the choices you listed.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (13)

H9 Twist, GP Venus 40?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Just a Quick note, I purchased a Dart 40 a few months ago ( not flown yet) and I feel that for the price it is a good choice for anyone. it appears to be well built, and looks real nice. finish is very nice. well worth the investment. I hope to fly mine soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM

It's light so it doesn't take to wind well...but its a lot of fun is the Sig Mid Star 40....only in kit form but builds fast
Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Lots of good choices in this category, in no particular order:

Tower Fun 51 kit, Tower Uproar, GP Dazzler, H9 Tango, H9 Twist, Sig Fazer kit, Model Tech Magic V2.0, Model Tech 3Demon Gen II, Seagull Harrier .46, VMar Easy 3D, World Models Fun World 40

Any of these airplanes would be extremely fun to fly and would go straight up with your .46 FXi
Bigedmustafa's list consists of planes that are highly aerobatic fun flyers, which you may be looking for. Of that list, the Tango 40 would be the most challenging on takeoff due to its tendency to torque steer. The wing gains lift and the ailerons like to kick in just before the tail gets to flying. This may surprise some folks who are not used to it. After more than 50 flights, I'm still learning takeoffs! Other than that, it's a real blast to fly and you can do almost anything.

The Piper Pawnee (the first choice on your list) is not very aerobatic, as others have said. It is one of the more forgiving planes. I have a friend who has one, and for me it was easier to fly than my Rapture 40. A .46 engine would probably provide adequate power, but something like an OS 55 AX swinging a 12-6 or even a 13" prop may be a better choice. Takeoff is easy with the Pawnee. Just open the throttle gently, get the tail flying and correct with rudder, and you're good to go. There are no surprises in landing either. Response is a little spongy when expo is used. This is the plane you want if you just want to cruise around and relax while still flying scale, being almost as stable as a Telemaster. Another plane with similar habits but a little faster would be the Spacewalker. Good luck on your choice.

NorfolkSouthern