Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 whats the value of GP super sportster 40 RTF? >

whats the value of GP super sportster 40 RTF?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

whats the value of GP super sportster 40 RTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the value of GP super sportster 40 RTF?

There is one GP Super Sportster 40 for sale locally, its is ready to fly (Royal .45 engine, Futaba 148 servos, and Futaba receiver). My question is what would be the fair price. The owner said that it has flown it only one time and is selling this airplane to get into gas airplanes..
Thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: whats the value of GP super sportster 40 RTF?

The only issues I have on setting a value on a setup like that is the engine. IMHO, if I am buying an engine from somebody I don't know, and the engine isn't still new in the box, then I count the engine as ZERO value. I say this because it's entirely too easy to ruin a glow engine. Even one lean run can ruin it. If I know the person and they can be trusted then I'll figure the cost of the engine into the value of the plane, otherwise I don't count it as you don't know if it's a good engine or a fishing line anchor until you can run it.

On the same note, count on sending the receiver in and having it checked to for problems. This is just good insurance to ensure the receiver hasn't been in a crash, or doesn't have any cracked components

Other than that you can look at the cost of the plane and the radio gear (minus the cost of sending it in) and start from there in figuring if it's a good value. If the plane is in good shape (it should be after only one flight) and the radio works then it should be worth close to the original cost of the plane and radio. However, look at the plane closely for any signs of repair. Look for covering that has been added on, or seams in areas where they shouldnt be there. If you do see signs of this it's a pretty good hint that the covering was cut to make a repair.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-16-2009, 01:15 PM

The Royal engine is old, even if it is "new." I think they have been out of production for quite a few years. That doesn't mean a lot, but, if it ever needs parts you may not be able to get them. As Ken said, it would be hard to count the engine as having any value.

With the Royal engine, and S148 servos, I'd guess the receiver is also pretty old. The S148 is still being sold but they have been around for a very long time.

Hobby Services charges $18.50 for a receiver checkout. If it is not on your channel, they charge $25 to change it. Even if you do that yourself the crystal is about $15. Shipping both ways will be about $20. Assuming no crystal change or problems, servicing the receiver will cost you $40.

The SS 40 is available as a kit or ARF. The following assumes it is an ARF:
Airframe, new, $160
Servos $14 each new (ARF uses 4), total $56
Receiver, new, $60
Total invested about $276.
Deduct $40 for receiver work and you have a starting point of $236

I have seen a lot of RC stuff, in good shape, sold for about half of new cost. If I wanted the plane I might offer $100 to $125.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which 'Futaba Rx' could be one of hundreds even old wide band units that would be foolish to try to use in todays environment and may even be incompatible with what ever Tx you intend to use.

Without specifics on old stuff like this consider a fifty-fifty chance the rx is worthless or ill advised to try to use.

Royals were good engines for the state of the art twentyfive years ago however if you ever need a part might as well forget it and its performance, user friendliness, throttle response etc. won,t be up to the standards of many modern engines.

The fact that you were told the owner only flew it once especially an airplane that old is not a plus side on the purchase ledger. That only tells you he was either afraid of it or not up to the skill level to fly and or operate the engine. Its likely he never acheived a good tune on the engine let alone break in and never got the airplane properly tweeked: throws, CG Etc.

Another factor seriouly affecting the price of a used airplane package is location expecially in this recession. I can purchase in our small town airplanes fitting the same general description all the time at 75 to a 100 bucks. However I can travel a hundred miles north to Las Vegas and sell the same airplanes locally for two hundred or more.

There are ton of airplanes out there that are never flown and owned by people who never went to a flying field or flew My best guess these folks outnumber folks who actually fly at least 15 to 1 in every town.

John
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with carrellh. If the model is in good shape, and doesn't show any crash repairs, $100.
to $125. seems reasonable. I would consider the engine suspect, and the radio gear more than
likely unusable. Do the servos have the "J" plug? or those old ones that are no longer used?
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-17-2009, 02:27 PM

The older version of the S148 was the S38 that had the obsolete plug. The servo's should be fine, you just need to check them to make sure the gears are not stripped, but changing gears is not too much of a problem.

Flip the prop by hand to check for compression. If no compression the engine may be useless. Then slowly turn the prop to get piston close to top. Slowly to let the air bleed off, then lightly with finger and thumb jiggle the prop back and forth. Listen for a clicking sound. This is to check your conrod. (connecting rod) If you hear a slight click the conrod is overly worn.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Super Sportster used..... $40
junk used Royal engine.....25
junk used servos........... 12
junk receiver............... 10
total for junk.... $87

Hand him a $50 bill and tell him to keep the change and you'll take it all!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:56 PM

I just got the airplane for $120.....

No repairs or damage ( I believe that this airplane had only one flight..)
Servos look like new
engine.....looks good....if it won't run good enough I just ordered brand new magnum .46...so I dont really care about the engine
Receiver..unable to check yet but doesn't show any damage (its high band..the same receiver which I use in two other airplanes that I own..)

So far I think I got a pretty sweet deal...I will replace the landing gear ( I don't like the stock gear) and this think will be ready to go...once I will replace the landing gear I will post some pictures..

Thanks guys for your advice!!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Good luck with your "new" plane. I'm a Sportster fan so I'd love to see it.
BTW, I fly mine on the stock gear without problems.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks a lot...I will post some pictures pretty soon...I have to remove some decals etc and then will post pictures...

Since I will be flying off the grass runway, and I like the look of the landing gear mounted to the fuselage,I might go ahead and modify it a little bit...right now I'm trying to get as much info as possible..before I will start working on it.