Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Money saver >

Money saver

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Money saver

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money saver

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCK9&P=7 get one of those install the female of these they fit the standard banana plug http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVXY5&P=0 and you have a very affordable power supply
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Money saver

That would work.
People commonly use things like laptop power chords with modified ends on the wires.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, a laptop power supply is not good to use here. Laptop power supplies usually put out anywhere from 14-24 vdc. If you connect a charger to that there is a good chance you'll blow it out, or at least the fuse if there is one.

If you want to make a power supply to run your chargers at home you can convert a PC computer power supply. The nice thing about converting one of these is that you can get different voltage levels (+/- 12v, +/- 5v, and +/- 3.3 v). Sometimes you can pick up used power supplies at a computer shop if you tell them what you are looking for they may give an old one. I run a computer shop and I have a box full of used power supplies in the back. Anyway, you can find instructions for converting a power supply here: [link]http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm[/link]

I have 4 of these around my shop and I use them all the time. I especially like the 5 volts of it. I use the for powering receivers in planes that I am setting up on my bench so I won't have to worry about having a charged battery during setup.

Ken
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM

i have several of the power supplies too. Our IT department was recycling all the computer that were old and they let me take all the power supplies. I have given away so many of them. A guy at the airfield knows how to convert them. I have one to take to the field and one at home on the work bench. Great tool. Better than paying $80 for one at the store.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Yeah, likewise.

It takes a bit of time and effort, but they are inexpensive, put out a very regulated voltage level, and are far more flexible.

I have a couple of supplies with LED's in them, that double to remind me the supply is on, while it glows a cool blue.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM

I got this: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Samlex-RPS1204-4-AMP-Regulated-DC-12V-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ300295416557QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA _Accessories?hash=item300295416557&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|24 0%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50]Power Supply[/link]

Works excellent. Highly recommended.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM

My charger came with a Toshiba laptop charger which runs at 15 volts. If you plug your charger on to your car battery it's pretty close to 14 volts unless your battery is weak.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

GaRCfield,
Yes, I understand that yours works that way. Buy some laptop power supplies put our more voltage than the charger can handle. To simply state that a "laptop power supply" will work could lead to problems when the charger is plugged in. That is why I corrected you, because a blanket statement that "all" laptop power supplies will work could lead to problems.

Ken
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Also most laptop power supplies cannot handle the draw from the chargers.

You have to worry about BOTH voltage and capacity.

Laptop power supplies typically max out around 3A which is less than the 5-8A most chargers need.

Even some PC power supplies may not provide enough current to handle charging say a 6 cell or more pack.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

GaRCfield,
Yes, I understand that yours works that way. Buy some laptop power supplies put our more voltage than the charger can handle. To simply state that a "laptop power supply" will work could lead to problems when the charger is plugged in. That is why I corrected you, because a blanket statement that "all" laptop power supplies will work could lead to problems.

Ken
Gotcha, I should have been more clear as voltage and amperage were running in the back of my mind. Thanks Ken.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Here's another link to convert a pc power supply.
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm
Paul
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Well I had noticed that most 12v power supplies are running above $50 most are closer to $100 this one has a 12 volt 10amp output which is enough for most everything and with a little mod it will work for banana plugs, thought it was a good tip for someone starting out wanting that shiny new flight charger.You dont really have to buy the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL356&P=0 that tower suggest for every supply application by default.

Converting those old pc supplies is brilliant.