Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 buckled ca hinge >

buckled ca hinge

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

buckled ca hinge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buckled ca hinge

After installing ca hinges for the first time I noticed one buckled, I did not notice this until after I glued all the hinges it was NOT very noticeable! the hinge look correct. I put the hinges on the wing first with a pin in the center then pushed the aileron on the hinges this must be when one buckled looked like a “z†bend between aileron and wing something for new builders to be aware of.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Default RE: buckled ca hinge

Probably the slot was not quite deep enough. or too thin.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:10 AM

the slot was correct I used a electric slot cutter
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, this is something to always check for before gluing. Is it in the middle or on the end? What plane?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: wzak29

the slot was correct I used a electric slot cutter
Sometimes even the slot cutter leaves a little garbage in the slot.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM

It’s the 3rd one from the wing center (second in from the tip) the rest are fine. I wish someone tolled me to watch for this I read everything I could find about installing ca hinges and there was nothing about this?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: wzak29

It’s the 3rd one from the wing center (second in from the tip) the rest are fine. I wish someone tolled me to watch for this I read everything I could find about installing ca hinges and there was nothing about this?
It isn't very easy to buckle a CA Hinge. Considering the hard flexible plastic is in the middle. With the hinge having support on either side from the other hinges I would think it will be OK. Definitely not the most desirable way for installation that is for sure.

As far as telling you about this. Good luck with getting all the information. The great hobby is nothing but learning. Good luck with your hinge.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you're going to be flying high-speed aerobatics.

If you're really uncomfortable with it, you could cut it out and slip covering hinges through the gap and iron them down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70346.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1156802  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If the rest of the hinges are already in place you've only got two choices. 1) live with it like this, or 2) cut all the hinges, reslot for new hinges, and install new hinges. Like Minn said, I doubt that it will make a big difference.

For future reference, even with the electric hinge slot cutter it's best to still check each slot before installing the hinges. See if the hinge can slide into the slot. If not, use a hobby knive (X-Acto) to clean the slot out.

Ken
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Since you have a slot cutter rehinging is not that difficult either. ( assuming it's electric ).

Carefully cut the existing hinges to separate the control surface.

Cut off any remaining hinge material. I also will use a drum sander to make the remaining material flush with the wood or covering.

Now you have to make a choice.

You can carefully try to cut new slots immediately above the existing hinges. The offset will be so small that it will not matter.
Ideally you would cut the existing material out, but this is almost impossible. Just manually scribe a small line or depression where the slot cutter will begin cutting, and then use that as a guide.

OR you could slot new hinges adjacent to the area they are currently in.

Normally I do the former for looks.

That's it.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM

opjose
When you rehinge in the same slot, isn't the balsa already soaked with CA and maybe not get a good bond or pentration. I haven't done it, so I only posing a question.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM

The electric slot cutter does a fairly good job of removing just enough material that this is not a problem.

If you can do this right up against the existing hing, if anything the area is a bit stronger due to the bond to the hinge and the other side that is already hardened.

I will NOT do this with hand picks however. I tried once and I could never get good results attempting to remove the adjacent area.

The Electric slot cutter solves that.

Of course to REALLY play it safe you could pin the hinges too.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: goirish

opjose
When you rehinge in the same slot, isn't the balsa already soaked with CA and maybe not get a good bond or pentration. I haven't done it, so I only posing a question.
Correct. Do NOT rehinge next to the old hinges, the CA soaked wood will not absorb sufficent CA to hold the new hinges. Rehinge in different locations.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: shd3920

Correct. Do NOT rehinge next to the old hinges, the CA soaked wood will not absorb sufficent CA to hold the new hinges. Rehinge in different locations.
I don't want too sound like an idiot, but when I installed my rudders hinges I did a poor job and the gap between the vertical stab and control surface was too big. So I cut off the hinges and with a lot of patience (and swearing) got out the bottom "old" hinge from the slot. I added a new hinge into that slot just cutting it a bit more open too the top and the other hinges I installed right next too the old ones. Okay the plane hasn't really flown (due too engine problem which almost made me loose the plane twice, but luckily got it down the first time with no damage and the second with minor), but I have done a stress test on the ground too see that it can absorb stress on it and it stuck perfectly.

I guess we will see when it gets into the air and I start pounding the body with the 60 engine, but as far as I can tell, also got a second and third opinion from more experienced, it fits perfectly.