Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
I'm new......what plane should I buy >

I'm new......what plane should I buy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm new......what plane should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new......what plane should I buy

I have no experiance what so ever with flying...... I've never flown anything outside of a video game. I have built many RC sailboats however, so building isn't too much of a problem, but would prefer an ARTF.

I want a gas operated, lower cost plane that looks good......not necesarrily realistic, but good and not plasticy; that is forgiving and I could fly in my back yard (Oh yea, its big enough) if it must be electric for this, so be it, but I would want one with reasonable batter life. To get even more picky, I'd like one with primary controls.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:56 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ok man how big is your back yard like 10 acres............if it's that big mybe a superstar or something like that............you not going to get a cheap non-plastice looking trainer..............the only thing i can think of is a cub.........the reason is the film that an ARF is coverd with is plastic.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:06 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are many trainers out there. Depends on your Back yard size as to what you want to get. The average 40 sized plane will require more space then most people have in thier back yard. Also you don't want to be flying over you neighbors house, or anywhere people or personal property is located.

I would also suggest you not try to buy it and fly it. You will most likely find your self picking up pieces shortly after take off.
Look for a local club, and seek help. not only will he help you learn to fly, but also teach you the other stuff you need to know. Like tuning an engine!
Old 06-21-2003, 01:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Jord, please DO NOT try to fly a glow powered trainer in your backyard without a qualified instructor. There is a 99.99% chance that the flight will be very short and very destructive......the disappointment could put you out of the hobby for a while (I speak from experience). If you want to fly glow-planes, visit a local field and find an instructor. I'm sure that there will be many people willing and able to help....the experience will be much more enjoyable (not to mention safer and cheaper!)

If you must do it alone, then yes, I would suggest an electric.....probably something made by Hobbyzone or similar. One word of caution, these planes WILL NOT fully prepare you for glow models.......if you decide to go glow at a later time, you need an instructor.

Please do a search in this forum on threads that concern trying to fly without an instructor....there is a lot of good info there.

Mike
Old 06-21-2003, 03:15 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the Hobbico avistar, but fly it with an instructor at your nearest club or field. Certainly not in your backyard.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:44 AM

I'll add in my 2 cents:

There's a reason why they call them "Trainers". If you want to learn to fly, and fly right, you need a plane that's designed to be forgiving, and easy to fly. If you go the route most do when learning, you will most likely crash several times before you really master the basics. By the time you learn to fly, your plane will look like crap due to all of the abuse you'll give it. So, glow or electric, pick one that is recommended as a trainer, learn to fly at a local field with an instructor, and after you learn, then go and get a more realistic looking plane. Believe me, I felt the same way when I started, but looking back, that ugly little trainer was a blast. Good luck
Old 06-21-2003, 04:33 AM

The US Aircore Trainer is ok. And very hard to destroy
Old 06-21-2003, 09:39 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jord,
There are electric Parkflyers out there. You DO NOT want to try learning on a "gas" (glow) powered plane in your backyard, or without an instructor.
Something like a Slow Stick might work.

You'd be better off posting this in the "electric" beginners forum.
Dennis-
Old 06-21-2003, 12:07 PM

.40-size trainers will really mess up your house if they hit it.......

Get an instructor. Failing that, get a Pico slow something-or-other...they don't destroy stuff when they hit it.

You build sailboats? Where are you?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:15 PM

Try a superstar select .40. About $300-$330/ Which includes plane (takes less than an hour to build) Transmitter, and engine (already installed) also the servos and all the eletronics are installed.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:38 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Jord, get Real Flight and practice with it first.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:11 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...171&forumid=22

Duh..
Old 06-23-2003, 12:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

The Avistar is a great beginner. But, unless you are absolutely sure you're a natuaral talent, get someone to help you. The plane is very forgiving, flies great slow. The plane will go with you to the next level of basic aerobatics, even upgrading to the '46 FX engine when you ready for more power. It flies inverted. And unfortunately, it crashes like the hottest P-51. If you're by yourself, start with a slow electric. Get help with the glow. I'll bet you'll look back on the first day and say we were all absolutely right.