Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 number of club members and flights >

number of club members and flights

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

number of club members and flights

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default number of club members and flights

How many members are in your club and how many flights are you able to get in on a saturday or sunday?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: number of club members and flights

The number of members in the club and the number of actual pilots showing up to fly on a given weekend are markedly different. Our club has 65-70 members but I`d say 15-20 steady, regular flyers. How many flights on a given day, to me, is heavily influenced by why one goes to the field in the first place. Some guys go almost solely to fly and might get in 5-10 flights if they`re there most of the day. Others, myself included, enjoy the social aspect of the hobby(talking to friends, watching others fly, helping other pilots, etc., etc.). I`m usually happy when I get in 2-3 flights on a nice day.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I just joined the club this spring, and I have only met about 6 of the members. If I go to the field in the afternoon after work, I am typically the only person there and I get unlimited flights. I have showed up at the field at vasrious times throughout the weekend and have never seen more than 6 people there, and that was only once on a Saturday morning. There are about 30 members on the roll, but I don't know how active many of them are. Typically I fly untill I am tired and go home.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 AM

Our club has about 300 registered members and sometimes you can't get a bench on a nice Saturday or Sunday. About 40% are what I'd consider "active". I'd have to sayI can get in 3-4 good, safe flights on a weekend day if I'm doing well. This field is 5 minutes from my house so I usually go in the mornings during the week if I want to fly a lot. Due to the closure of a field near ours we have many new members (a good thing for the club) and some of the newer members seem to be having a little trouble with our safety protocols. For instance, a few still insist on flying while standing on the runway, keeping all others on the ground while doing so. This will smooth out.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I primarily fly at the Omahawks RC club. Our club has 150 or so members, and some Saturdays can be very busy out at the field. I can't really remember a time when I've had to wait to fly because the flight line was too busy. With a well organized flight line, there's normally enough space for everybody who wants to be flying at any given moment.

If we have 30 pilots all hanging out at the field, 20 of them will be watching the fun, chatting with other pilots, or looking at one another's planes while another half a dozen or so are tuning their planes or working on something in particular on the ground or a starting table. That leaves 3 or 4 pilots flying at any given moment who are actually flying.

I also fly at the Midwest Performance Flyers club. The membership count is around the same, but it has a smaller flight line. There the issue is normally related to sharing the airspace between helicopters and airplanes. I have had to wait a while for all of the helicopter pilots to land before I felt comfortable taking off, but I've always been able to get my flights in.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM

We have a nice grass field and not many members. Probably 12 active. I normally fly in the mornings with one or two other members. We take turns. Probably 3 or 4 others fly in the early evening and they do the same. On Sat and Sun morning we will have 5 or 6 active at the field. So we get in as many flights as we want. Here is a couple of pictures on a Sat morning. Hummmm pictures don't want to load.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21293.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1227426  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
My Feedback: (18)

My guess is about 30ish members, and if I get to stay all day then I can get a lot of flights. I have two small children so its more like 3 to 4 and just some social time with the other guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
My Feedback: (8)

We have 'club night' on Wednesday when most people show up. I leave when it starts. On weekends I can fly as much as I want. We have a limit to 6 planes in the sky but there are rarely that many on a weekend, at least so far.

We have 60 members, but I don't think they all show up.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM

We have about 70 members in our club, I tend to not fly during the weekends, but I think it is busy with probably 15 members, most talking to each other and a few flying, I could pobably fly as much as I wanted, but I like to BS more then fly sometimes.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Sometimes the jawbone gets more exercise than the thumbs but this is by choice at most clubs. This is also a social activity.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM

it all depends on the people. We have about 150 people in the club. This last Saturday about 30 people were there. About 15 were flying. It seems to always be 50-50 on flyers and political specators,[>:] We get anywere from 1-6 at a time. Some people are really nervouse about flying in a crowd. I got in about 6 flights in over 2 hours. My buudy I brought along unannouced got the club trainer going and he got 3 flights in. I would of liked to do it but the club a stickeler on the designated instructor status for none AMA people, I'm workin on but I'm new to this club, I was one at our old club. I even maidend my Balsa Nova. DAmn that rossi 45 makes some noise. Just love it
Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Simple answer then I will read the posts.

Number of members: I don't know, but probably 30 or more and possibly as high as 100. Number of pilots on a given weekend: Maybe 5-6 on any Saturday or Sunday that doesn't have an event going.

Number of flights: Well I tend to walk around look at planes and chat a lot, so I get maybe 4 flights, sometimes as many as 6 or 7 on a long day out. However; I could easily fly till both my planes RX batteries went dead if I worried more about air time than talking to my friends.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM

We have 3 fields, and the field I normally fly at (currently close while the city parks department works on development of the park roads) has maybe 25 or so regular flyers that show up through the week. Last figure I heard for our club was about 675 members, but there where over 175 registered to fly at the field. Since its a city park, club membership is not required to fly there, only AMA per city regulation.

I've had only 2 occasions where I needed to share my frequency in 3-1/2 years, and very seldom do all 5 flight stations have pilots at them. Normally the most in the air is 4, and usually 1 or 2 at a time.

There are days where I'll have one plane and get 2 or 3 flights and other days where I take 3 or 4 planes out and try to get from 6 to 8 flights on each. I also take my field charger out so I can keep the batteries topped off. Occasionally if I'm in the area running errands and I see the gates open I'll stop by just to socialize.

Hogflyer
Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM
My Feedback: (2)

We have a group of about 25 people total that fly at our field. There is a core of 5 or so nitro flyers that fly on Saturday and Sunday. The electric guys fly at a local church on Saturday but are not allowed to on Sunday. They fly with us on Sundays. We don't normally fly past noon because out flight stations face to the west and in the afternoon you are looking into the sun. We had more members but we had a small group depart looking for a better field. They started contruction on the south side of the property so we are not sure how long we will eb able to fly there either.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Approximately 40 members. If we have ten at the field at once it is a huge turnout. I think everyone gets as many flights as they want.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM

We have 8 members. 2 of those I have only seen when collecting their dues. ( I like those kind of members ). The most we have had there at one time is 4. Usually it's me and one guy there on Saturday and me and a different guy there on Sunday after church. We usually fly all we want. Most of the time it's "it's your time to fly - no I just flew it's your time". We fly all we want to and only one plane in the air at a time.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM

My club has about 60-ish members but only like 40-ish are active. It depends on what time Sat & Sun. If you get there early morning (8:00 ish) nearly all the benchs are taken up, a couple less people on Sunday morning. You'll typically see 1 - 4 on a good night. My dad & me go mainly afternoon/night, morning on an occasion. Most older guys are there in the morning talking & drinking there coffee, some don't even bring planes !

TF96
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
My Feedback: (22)

The Houston area has nearly 20 clubs. My club has nearly 100 members, thats down from about 130 in recent years. You can fly all you want almost any day. There are about 30 to 40 regular pilots and the rest either don't fly at all or rarely fly. There are a couple of professional "crashers" in the club. You might not want to stand out on the flight line while they have anything overhead!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We average around 30 members and 6-10 flyers on a Saturday is considered a very good turnout. The norm is 4-6 flyers on a good Saturday. Most guys on a nice day will usually get in at least 3 and some as many as 5 flights during a real long day. Somedays we just sit and bs about all the flying we have done or plan to do, but currently can't seem to get up from the comforts of a good folding chair to fly a plane. Flying accounts for about 10% of my time spent on this hobby. Another 10% is spent building airplanes, and the remaining 80% of the time is spent talking about building and flying airplanes.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

There are a couple of professional ''crashers'' in the club. You might not want to stand out on the flight line while they have anything overhead!
LOL......

I know what you mean.....Or hide behind the fence!

Those are the guys everyone actually watches to see whats going to happen! lol
Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM

we have 38 members. I only see about 10 on saturdays. a few of the retired guys go out in the mornings during the week. We get plenty of flights in as long as the 2 or 3 3d guys dont come out with there large scale planes. they want to be in the air alone.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 AM

I'm not sure how many total members the club has but, I fly on sundays mostly and thats the normal fly day for the club. I've seen about 35 guys at the most and the average is about 20. like a lot of people have said for some guys it's a socal thing and they just hang out. I BS a little but I go to fly. at the field we have a 5 plane in the air max. with that I can fly as much as I want, as it seems I've only flew with crowded air space a few times. the only time I don't want to fly is if someones on the buddy box. when that happens I'll land if I'm up or wait if I'm down until they land.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM

250 members, 8-14 flights for me on a typical weekend day.

Never had any problems getting flight time.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hulio516
How many members are in your club and how many flights are you able to get in on a saturday or sunday?
I belong to two clubs, each with something like 35 members. One has a N-S runway, the other has an E-W runway. I can pick the club by the wind direction. When I get there, I'll find maybe 15 other flyers, and a few who come to renew friendships. Lots of flying going on.

If I bring 3 planes, and get six flights, that's enough for me. If I bring one plane, maybe three flights. It's not a contest, and by the way, some folks have other committments on weekends & only come to the field during the week, maybe evenings.

At work, I'm half a mile from the E-W runway, and usually wind up there. I've gone home without flying, or with just one, from time to time.

Cheers,
Dave Olson
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I am quite lucky I guess. When I started in PA I flew in a very active club around 4-5 guys always there flying weekends were busy but I don't really fly on the weekends. I am a weekday after work guy. And where I work now has its own field! Yes a field only for employees. Probably 20 members if that. Half of those guys are control line, we have a circle. When I go after work I have only once had someone else there. I get 7 flights in 2 hours and i'm leaving. It is great. I went on Sunday once nobody there. I think most guys there belong to other clubs near their houses. They fly at lunch mostly where 3-4 guys fly at once. I love the gas and go flying I get there. I like meeting new people and everything and like to talk about planes but mostly I want to fly. Having maybe 1 other guy there is perfect. Oh and dues is only $10/year. If there is no wind(doesn't happen in IL) there might be 2 other guys there lol.

Edit: Scar - I am one of those guys, weekends are for friends/family/golf/other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.