Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Learned how not to check for leaks in a fuel tank >

Learned how not to check for leaks in a fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Learned how not to check for leaks in a fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learned how not to check for leaks in a fuel tank

I had pulled out an old tank and I was trying to check for air leaks. I had the idea to blow in one fuel line and plug the other. When I did that, I got a mouth full of fuel[:'(].( there was a little bit of fuel in the tank) I went the sink and spit it out and washed my mouth out with water several times. I then driained the fuel and thought I try again and the same thing happened[&:]. There was just enough to get in the chunk and in to my mouth. I learned not to do that again. I don't drink but I think that how it would feel like if I had a strong drink, man did it burn .
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Learned how not to check for leaks in a fuel tank

Next time, blow in the vent instead of the feed tube
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you were going to say "I used a match..." [X(] [:@]
Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't drain my tank at the end of the day if I can get to the fuel lines, I just put a dot in both the vent and carb lines. After one chilly morning, I came home from the field and put the plane in the garage. I wanted to do something with it, and the next afternoon, the grage was toasty warrm. Plane on the bench and I decided to pull the tank. I pulled the carb line off the tank and imeadly took a glow fuel shower. Minn, I should have taken the vent line off first It's susprising how much fuel will come out of a tank with just a slight bit of air pressure.

Don
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Dangerous situation and toxic staff; I am glad your eyes did not get splashed.

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Toxicity
Methanol is toxic. If ingested, as little as 10ml can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. The usual fatal dose is 100–125 ml (4 fl oz). Toxic effects take hours to start, but effective antidotes can often prevent permanent damage.
Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. Firstly, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning. Secondly, in a process of toxication, it is metabolized to formic acid.
The initial symptoms of methanol intoxication are those of central nervous system depression: headache, dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, confusion, drowsiness, and with sufficiently large doses, unconsciousness and death. The initial symptoms of methanol exposure are usually less severe than the symptoms resulting from the ingestion of a similar quantity of ethanol.
Once the initial symptoms have passed, a second set of symptoms arises, 10 to as much as 30 hours after the initial exposure to methanol, including blurring or complete loss of vision and acidosis.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campgems

I don't drain my tank at the end of the day if I can get to the fuel lines, I just put a dot in both the vent and carb lines. After one chilly morning, I came home from the field and put the plane in the garage. I wanted to do something with it, and the next afternoon, the grage was toasty warrm. Plane on the bench and I decided to pull the tank. I pulled the carb line off the tank and imeadly took a glow fuel shower. Minn, I should have taken the vent line off first[img][/img] It's susprising how much fuel will come out of a tank with just a slight bit of air pressure.

Don
Most of the four strokes I use are YS and pressurise the fuel tank. Any idea how many times I have pulled the wrong line first??? Those tanks will blow out fuel for several feet!!![&o]
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Most of the four strokes I use are YS and pressurise the fuel tank. Any idea how many times I have pulled the wrong line first??? Those tanks will blow out fuel for several feet!!![&o]
The YS squirt. I like to wait until someone is standign in just the right spot then pull the fuel line plug.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck, that was the big joke when the YS first came out. You had to watch who you were pitted next to!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. Now i have a syringe (dont know if i spelled that right) It is alot safer. The burning mouth feels just like a shot of 151.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM

As soon as I had the fuel in my mouth the words " May be fatal if swallowed or may cause blindness" rang in my head[&:]. I made sure I didn't swallow any I'm glad my O.S likes the taste of it, cause I don't
Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM

when it happened to me, i called poison controll right away. They told me that if it doesnt get swallowed or in the eyes or if there are no open sores in your mouth than you should be ok. They told me to gargle milk to help take away the burning sensation and of course flush with lots and lots of water.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

I test tanks for leaks by running a basin of hot water and submerging the sealed up empty tank. If there is any leak, there will be a stream of bubbles. Sometimes I put the tank in the freezer for a few minutes before sealing it up.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM

That's pretty scary...

Only 2/10ths to 3/10ths of an ounce of ingested glow fuel is enough to make you blind!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it.

FYI: 30% BURNS!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Wow, very sorry to hear that.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM

to stop getting a mouth full of fuel all you have to do is let go of the vent line...the one you're not blowing in...then it just goes in your ear