Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 A first for me.. >

A first for me..

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A first for me..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A first for me..

Due to the weather I finally have all the planes in my hanger ready to fly so on Saturday I will attempt to fly them all at least once.
Easy Glider Electric - I fly all the time. I keep it in my trunk.
Sky raider trainer TTPro .36 - Flown this quite a bit but this is the first flight after snapping the fuse in half.
Tiger 60 kit TTPro .61 - I built this over the winter and have been flying this weekly.
Hanger 9 Cherokee OS .46LA - I bought this over the winter and had to rebuild the firewall and set up controls. this will be a maiden flight which I will do myself for the first time. If this doesnt go well I wont be heart broken! If the Cherokee survives its in need of a recovering...

I've never had two different glow planes in the air within weeks of each other. I'm interested in feeling the different flight charicteristics of the sky raider and the Tiger. I've been flying for 1 year and havent gotten the " feel" of the planes yet. I fly alright but definatly dont feel "connected" to the planes yet.. I'm thinking flying my two different planes one after the other my help if I can " feel " the difference????

I'll be happy if I can get all four in the air and it will be a bonus if they come home in one piece!

Pop
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A first for me..

That's the spirit! I like it. When you maiden the Cherokee just concentrate on flying it, don't get freaked out about the trims, it'll probably be out of trim. Just hold the sticks to keep it flying nice and trim as you make some lazy circuits.

In what order will you choose to fly your airplanes? Personally, if I take more than one airplane to the field I always fly the plane I love the most last, regardless of how they fly.

You'll be fine, they'll all come home in one piece.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 AM

Got to agree with West. Take it up, keep it flying then trim as you go along with a couple of circuits.

Good luck we know you will do great and have a fun day!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: WestCoastFlyer

That's the spirit! I like it. When you maiden the Cherokee just concentrate on flying it, don't get freaked out about the trims, it'll probably be out of trim. Just hold the sticks to keep it flying nice and trim as you make some lazy circuits.

In what order will you choose to fly your airplanes? Personally, if I take more than one airplane to the field I always fly the plane I love the most last, regardless of how they fly.

Order of flight? good question.
I was thinking of the easy glider first as we have to wait until 9:00am to start the glow engines. I was thinking of going with the tiger because I'v been flying it lately, then the Sky Raider as I dont think the rebuild will have caused any problems, then the cherokee last after I've warmed up?
But you have a point in ending the day on a high note by flying the tiger last....

I've crashed enough not to let it bother me, other than it would be nice to make it through a month without having to rebuild something....

I also just picked up a Cap for my pick up truck so I can start setting it up to carry all my flight gear...should be much easier than trying to stuff everything in my car.

Steve
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they are all on the same Tx, just be sure to select the right model before takeoff!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

If they are all on the same Tx, just be sure to select the right model before takeoff!
One of the advantages of using the Spektrum DX7 - model match!

But thanks for the heads up!

pop
Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM

I had everything loaded in my car last weekend but the winds were 15 - 18 mph with gusts in the mid 20's.
While I would have flown my glider and probably my tiger in those winds, I didnt think it was good weather for maidening my cherokee so I did some yard work instead..

Tomorrow looks like perfect weather...

Pop
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Line them all up next to each other on the runway and let it rip. Do a couple of circuits around the field in formation then see how many you can get back down safely.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Popriv
ORIGINAL: WestCoastFlyer

Order of flight? good question.
I was thinking of the easy glider first as we have to wait until 9:00am to start the glow engines. I was thinking of going with the tiger because I'v been flying it lately, then the Sky Raider as I dont think the rebuild will have caused any problems, then the cherokee last after I've warmed up?
But you have a point in ending the day on a high note by flying the tiger last....

I've crashed enough not to let it bother me, other than it would be nice to make it through a month without having to rebuild something....

I also just picked up a Cap for my pick up truck so I can start setting it up to carry all my flight gear...should be much easier than trying to stuff everything in my car.

Steve
That's great about getting a cab for your pickup. I'm saying goodbye today to my Jeep Wrangler. I sold it because it just wasn't fair to always borrow my sons Cherokee (my car before I bought the Wrangler) to go flying. I'm looking forward to getting a bigger rig. Fly them in the order you feel comfortable with.

Regarding the maiden - Full throttle on takeoff, when you're airborne and climbing out, throttle back. You'll have to hold the sticks at un-neutral positions as you fly your lazy circuits, flying straight down the length of the field each way, trimming as you go. I've seen guys have someone stand next to them and have them do the trimming. Never take yours eyes off the model. The first time I maidened my own airplane I realized I was looking down at the Tx to find the trims, sliders in those days. It was nearly disastrous. To trim out a plane your thumbs and fingers need to know where the trims are without looking at the Tx.

Have fun!