Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Hobbico SuperStar .40 Select CH 44 >

Hobbico SuperStar .40 Select CH 44

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hobbico SuperStar .40 Select CH 44

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico SuperStar .40 Select CH 44

Okay, ive got a few questions about this plane. You can get the link here First of all, im just a beginner, and ive heard this is a great plane to start out with... now onto the questions.

1. What frequency of radio should I get with this plane?

2. Under the accesories needed section, it said i need a Great Planes AccuThrow Deflection Meter , a Great Planes C.G. Machine , and a Hobbico Hot-Shot 2 Standard . Honestly, do i really need those, or is Tower Hobbies just tryin to squeeze a few more bucks out of its customers?

Thanks for helpin,
-Brian
Old 07-08-2003, 03:00 PM

Ohhh, let's see...

A cg machine: already take care of... you have 5 on each hand

Deflection meter: Until you get really technical, just eyeball it. If you browse around the forums more, most guys descibe throws in different way.... usually refering to how far barn doors open.

The hot shot is something you may need though. If you don't have anything to start the plane, the hot shot clips on to the glow plug so you can start it. That is one of the things you will need.

As for the frequency, it really doesn't matter. If you want to try to avoid conflicts, go to your field on a busy day and see if a certain range of frequency's is used more then others. For my club it's the channels in the 50's. If you have a larger club, you're bound to have a conflict with someone, and there's nothing much you can do about it except take turns flying.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. This plane comes with the engine and radio already installed. The radio is on 72mhz with the channel number 44.

2. The accessories mentioned in the list are a guide, you don't actually need all of them.

The throws should be set up as the radio is connected but you can check them with a standard ruler. I've put together several planes and still have not needed a deflection meter.
The CG machine is very useful, and I would recommend getting one. However, I'm not sure that it is strictly necessary for this plane. Double checking the balance once the plane is put together by placing your fingers under the wings at the suggested balance point should be adequate.
As for the Hot Shot, you need some sort of glow igniter to start the engine. What field gear you need is a whole subject in itself. When I first started I bought a field pack in a card box similar to the one mentioned, I didn't use half the stuff....
Old 07-08-2003, 03:09 PM

Actually the plane i am going to get is the Hobbico SuperStar 40 Select RTF 60" . Now, can you answer the questions in the first post on this thread about this plane?

And i got one more...

Will i need to throw this one, or can i take it off from the ground?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:25 PM

This is exactly the same plane, only the radio channel isn't specified. I gues you specify this when ordering...

If you throw it have someone stand by with a video camera...

This plane will be much easier to take off from the ground...
Old 07-08-2003, 03:38 PM

I've got the same plane and yes it takes off the ground. Can't imagine throwing this plane :surprised It is actually more responsive than my LT40, but the trade off is hotter landings. Which at first was not what I wanted, now it's almost a must! Wait till you fly a trainer like the LT40 with a 40FX instead of the LA40. You will be the next Tim Taylor. You wont be disappointed with the Super Star Select, its a great plane for the $$
Old 07-08-2003, 07:01 PM

This is the exact plane I am training with right now. As already mentioned befoer by others 1) check on a busy day to see what is a good freq to be on, 2) I used a ruler for the throw measurements based upon the ones in the manual and then had my instructor tone it down some, 3) the CG device I want but there are other thngs that I need first so that one is a christmas suggestion, 4) I use a Ho shot plus a Alkiline one that I used with my trucks, both work just fine.

I did purchase the Hobbico starter kit, it came with a cicken stick. fuel tubing, fuel fittings for the fuel bottle, extra glow plug, prop and fuel pump.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:26 PM

I say skip the Superstar, and go straight for the Avistar. It's semi symetrical wing will allow you to learn aerobatics on it if it survives your basic flight training. I started on the Avistar with no problems. Lands fairly slow and has enough diheral to be stable. It's just all around more fun. I think they just try to get more money out of people by selling a so called basic then intermediate trainer.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:26 PM

In reference to the frequencies I would check with the club first, in my club there are some channels prohibit.

The CG machine is a must sooner or later if you're really in the hobby; try talking with the people at the club they can help you with the throws and the cg for your plane.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:05 PM

Hi...I am also a beginner and have recently purchased and began flying the SS 40. Can't compare it with the Avistar since I have never flown that one. But the Superstar is a great one to start with.
All the responses you have already received are good ones. The radio frequency doesn't matter (mine is 42) unless there are numerous flyers at your field(s) using the same. I also wanted the necessary field equipment to begin to fly without going whole hog right off the bat. If you buy this plane save the following. Here's what will get you on your way....

CG - The plane fully assembled (empty tank) on the underside of the wing (each side) near the fuselage measure from the wing leading edge back about 3 5/8" and stick a small piece of masking tape. Use a maker and mark the tape exactly 3 5/8"..that's the CG starting point. Lift the plane at the points with a fingertip on each side and see if the plane balances level. A little nose heavy is OK. If not, move the receiver & battery forward or back to make adjustments. This ARF should be close already.

Throw measurement - Place the plane on a flat surface. Use the trans. trim controlls to set all control surfaces as close to neutral as possible. Place an extended tape measure or ruler under each aileron and move each full up then full down with the joystick and note the full travel distance in each direction. Refer to the specs for the recommended amount of travel. Do the same for the rudder. Throw adjustments are made by which hole in control horns the pushrods are put into. Roll the plane and see fi it rolls straight. If not, loosen the nose wheel pushrod at the servo and adjust.

Field equipment (necessities) - Compare combo vs individual prices. Glow starter (Hot Shot2 is OK), Extra glowplug (A3 for the OS 40), chicken stick unless you're brave/experienced, hand crank fuel pump with set of fuel can fittings, and extra 3 or 4 feet fuel tubing (the recoil stuff isn't really necessary). Any RC hobby store sells this.

If you do go with this plane I suggest one modification. Get a fuel line "T" and plumb it into the fill/feed line between the tank and the fuel inlet. The 3rd. side of the "T" can have a short piece of tubing with a removable plug (fuel dot) inserted for easy removal for fueling. This filling point makes fueling much more accessible that disconnecting one of the main joints (tiny fingers aren't even small enough). With the fuel fitting set installed into the jug cap, you can fuel or defuel without having to worry about catching spillage from the removed muffler/pressure line (a closed system and cheap). It is still removed for fueling operations but plumbed back into the jug.
I Haven't regretted going with the Superstar. The first tendency for a beginner is to see all those more advanced planes at the field and immediately want something more. Right now the big thing is to get lots of hours on a trainer...Good Luck
Jim
Old 07-08-2003, 11:57 PM

I agree about the manual fuel pump, my field box kit came with an electric, but the old hands at the field all have a manual one. I can watch and learn! If my electric quits, I'll get a manual. In the meantime I keep a syringe type for emergencies. One less set of wires to mess with.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:13 PM

is there anything else i need to get, like some kind of charger?
also, should i buy fuel off the internet or in a hobby store?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:19 PM

If you are joining a club check with them. Our club sells fuel at a very very good price. If you order you have to pay hax mat fees if you order by the gallon so a hobby shop would probably be better if your club does not sell it.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:22 PM

what about chargers, will i have to get those? Tower hobbies doesnt say anything about that.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Charger/Fuel

If you get the SS 40 Combo, the Futaba radio comes with a charger that charges the radio and the battery in the plane at the same time. Charge overnight before the next day of flying. The radio has a battery level meter but for experimentation, after charging just turn things on and work the controls with the plane on the ground. You'll probably get bored doing that before you run the batteries down. Depending how much time you plan to fly in one day, you may or may not need to charge in the field...experiment. If you get a glow starter like the Hot Shot, it also comes with a wall charger.
Fuel...I have never bought by mail. Like the guy said...Haz Mat stuff doesn't make it really worth it. A trainer plane will take about a 10% nitro fuel. Local hobby store prices will be somewhere around $15/gal. That'll get you in the air several times. Good Luck.