Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Learning To fly RC Airplanes >

Learning To fly RC Airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Learning To fly RC Airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning To fly RC Airplanes

I would like to get into flying RC airplanes. I have a CX3 helicopter that is awsome and a DX6ibut i would like a plane as well. I was looking at the ultra micro P-51 BNF from parkzone. Is this a good choice for someone to learn on that has flown rc helicopters? I was going to get a cub but i dont want to get bord with it right away.
Thanks for your input
Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Learning To fly RC Airplanes

I wouldnt start out with a mustang, but it does happen, if you crash it, then try the J3 and then get "bored with it" ,,you still wont have the mustang to go back to....Rog
Better to get bored with something easier than to crash the cool plane...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM

I suggest before buying anything that you make a trip to the local flying club......Ask questions....I bet someone will offer to give you a flight.......then you will know if making the transtion to fix wing will be easy on you......perhaps a couple of training flights will be in order...at least an instructor will be at the club...or at the least his contact info......
Make your decision from what you learn....Good Luck
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 AM

I would consider buying a used trainer and fly for a while to get use to it. If you don't crash you can probably sell it for what you paid for it. Then you could move up to the next step of a low wing trainer or Stik plane. After that you should be more than ready for your P-51. If you currently fly a heli you should progress pretty fast.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Hi,

I purchased an E-flite Apprentice 15e. The cost was $299 ready to fly, and includes the airframe, radio gear, brushless motor, esc, and 3s 3200 lipo battery pack. It is all foam and the all up weight is around 2 1/2 lbs. All I had to do was epoxy the two wing halves together, bold on the tail feathers, charge the battery and go flying. And boy does it fly well.

I tried to start the hobby with a Wattage Ezette. But that plane was way under powered, as it only had a brushed 380 can motor and sub "C" cells.

The apprentice, on the other hands has bags of power. I give it full power on takeoff and within 20 ft I am airbourne and it very nearly goes verticle. I need to reduce power and give it some down elevator to put it in level flight and need to take the power back to 1/4 to keep it from continuing to climb. I have had roughly 26 flights and I am beginning to roll, loop, hamerhead, and cuban eight, as well as do a little inverted. I mostly take off on a paved strip, but due to the configuration of my flying field(s) I land on long grass (1-2 inches).

I have had one mishap which cracked the cowl, but that was repaired with tape.

Flight times are around 20 minutes. Normally I take off and fly around for about 8 minutes, land and then do another flight on the same battery of around 8 - 10 minutes. (This is far better that the E-zette which only got a total of about 8 minutes.) I bought a second battery of 3000 MaH. I also bought a Triton EQ chatger which can charge a depleted battery in bout 50 minutes from an AC outlet. The included charge takes about 1 1/2 hours from my car, and I got very tired of waitinig. The Triton cost me $119 plus I bought a multi lead adapter for many different battery types. However, Hobbypartz does a good charger for $55 bucks, as I discovered at my local flying field after I bought my Triton. I think my triton is a better charger, but I probably would have been satisfied with the cheaper one. But I would definately get adn AC version.

Here is a link to the Apprentice at Horizon Hobbly: www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx

I am glad you are thinking of getting into airplanes, I am enhjoing it a lot. Good luck and happy flyinig.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM

So i should start with a trainer... what is the best BNF trainer that you can get?</p>
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM

If you like the little planes like the micro P51 then get the micro Cub first. The CX3 is a fine beginner helicopter and is a lot of fun. The Cub is similiar to the CX3 in level of ability. Beginning with the P51 is similiar to starting with the Blade SR or mSR.

I suggest you get the Super Cub LP. It is larger than the Micro and is a blast to fly. It is perfect for the beginner. As stated above, the Apprentice is also an excellent starter.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (6)

My vote is the Super Cub LP from Hobby Zone. It's only $179. It has only 3 channels (throttle, elevator, rudder), and it takes a beating. Replacement parts are cheap and plentiful and it flys great. Super easy take-off and landings. I fly mine inverted for days. inside and outside loops. Put the larger prop on and has power to spare. Batteries are cheap. Totally out performs J3's of the same size. Flying a high-wing plane first is a must. The flight characteristics of a low wing plane is not good for beginning.
I started off with the Super Cub LP first, then on to the T-28 Trojan, Then the 5 channel P-51 from nitroplanes and now I'm flying a Hyperion Extra 260 ARF.
Start with the LP. I've trained several beginners with this plane and they all had great experiences.
Mark
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jgb17

So i should start with a trainer... what is the best BNF trainer that you can get?</p>
I would start with HZ Super Cub LP and then an Hobbistar 60 on a training cord. Comes with a computer controler, motor, servos and recever. Everything you need. Just add APC12X8 and some fuel and your in the air. Super plane, lots of power, easy to see and fly's well inverted. Scoot

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...GHD4**&amp;P=0

Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM
My Feedback: (3)

If your going electric to use the radio you have the HZ cub is a good choice as stated. I would skip the smaller version just because when training the plane gets away, hard to see, rather quickly. I have flown the HZ cub and the Apprentice for new guys and was impressed with both.
The apprentice will tolerate a bit more wind then the Cub.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

You have alot to think about and your Heli experiance helps.
Here is some reading:
[link=http://www.mycoolrc.com/FAQ/firstrcplane.html]Beginner First Plane[/link]
You may want to go the cheap electric route, Undoubtedly, you already have a sim if your heli flying so that will help alot. My advice is NOT to jump out and spend $400 on a Nitro plane but to give it a try with an electric, but not something as small as the tiny parkzone BnF stuff.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Go with a cheap 4 channel electric. Something with good dihedral (sp). You will get more fly time with an electric.