Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 I went flying last night >

I went flying last night

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I went flying last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I went flying last night

I went flying last night. I'm sure that it sounds like no big deal to you, but last night my friend (and fellow reviewer) Geoff, his son Jon, my 89 yr old dad and I met out at the old abandoned airport where Geoff and I shoot our review pics and videos and we just flew for the fun of flying.

No planes to review, no video tape to shoot, just 4 guys from 4 generations with 4 of our favorite airplanes, a perfect night for flying and a perfect field.

It was heaven!

I had my Super Skybolt, which had been sitting for 2 years with engine problems that I just didn't have time to solve, but a few weeks ago, I pulled out the YS91 that just wouldn't idle right and swapped it with a YS 110 that had been sitting on the shelf for too long. What an amazing combo! I took off and proceeded to climb straight up till it was ridiculously high - talk about unlimited vertical!

My dad had his new Top Flite P-47. He totaled the last one he had recently and since it was his favorite he got another. After a short trim flight, he took it up again and wrang it out. Another outstanding flier!

Geoff brought a little Cub-like plane called the Paulestina. This is a new plane from World Models that Geoff is reviewing. We shot video of it over the weekend and we both fell in love with it, so he brought that out just to enjoy flying it without having to shoot pics and video.

Jon had his Sky Fly Max, which he soloed on earlier this year and he got two or three short flights in as he practiced his landings.

Not a single problem, not a single camera click, just a perfect night of four guys who love to fly flying their favorite airplanes and all four planes came home in one piece.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I went flying last night

You Bum

Bob
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 AM
My Feedback: (3)

No that's what I call a Super Evening!! It just doesn't get any better than that!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Note to all you Product Reviewer Wannabe's: This is only the second time this year that Geoff and I have gone flying just for the fun of it (First time was mid-April)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM

You mean you usally get paid to fly ?

Lucky Dog,

Bob
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second Minnflyer's thoughts! What a great night to just go have fun! I'm really starting to enjoy watching my son fly. He got started a little last fall, but his first flight was not so good. Now, after flying on the Simulator all winter, he came out this spring and soloed after just two lessons! I believe that if he sticks with flying, he'll be better than I am in just a couple more years...

Back to the evening, I cannot think of a better place to fly on a better evening!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Icant wait till my son gets here. We are going to have a blast.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 PM

I went flying last night too and wrecked my UltraSport 60[]

Did a fast take off, banked to the left very hard, and snapped into the ground at such speed that there were almost no bits left to pick up.

Fortunately it was just a dream and the US60 is still in one piece! Hope it wasn't a premonition though!

Terry
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM

I'll bet the "Old Man" probably flew circles around all 3 of ya! After all, he has 89 years of experience!

And him flying a Top Flite P-47 is unreal at his age! Maybe he should have brought "his" video camera to show everyone how others fly with less experience!

"Big Dan"

Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good on you. The trouble with making the hobby pay is that then it becomes work. ;-)

Remember: we do this for fun! I have to remind guys of that at our club meetings all the time.

Nothing beats a day of boring holes in the sky when nothing eventful happens. Mmmmmmm.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

I'll bet the ''Old Man'' probably flew circles around all 3 of ya!
You would be impressed Dan. At 89 he flies a warbird like he was a 20 yr old sitting in the cockpit