Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Machining engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machining engines?

Ok i have been posting alot. But i am new to nitro and i am very excited. as most of u were. My friend owns a machine shop and he siad he could copy my engine. He likes to tell lies a lil. I know he has the machine shop and all but is there away to do this. And also would i be able to make my own engines then? He siad he could make them outa titanium. Would this be a good thing. Has anyone tried this.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 AM

Default RE: Machining engines?

Your best bet would be to stay away from making your own engines. he may be able to copy it looks wise, but the performance would just plain suck. Nitro engines are made out of certain materials for a reason.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:28 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell him to make one just to prove him wrong. It may start but other than that it's just wishfull thinking.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:29 AM

So if there was a way to find out wat metal to use i could maybe do this? Or is this impossible to even get good results
Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make all my engines myself.I use titanium as well and the engines are impossible to wear out. go for it and let me know how it turns out for you.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: asmund

I make all my engines myself.I use titanium as well and the engines are impossible to wear out. go for it and let me know how it turns out for you.
Really?

I'm sure everyone here would love to see some photos of your engines.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, you must have one expensive mill, as precision is an essential requirement for any engine.

Ryan
Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 AM

oh yeah I bet . I use titanium for the crankcase, crank and head,and kryptonite for the piston and con rod(very durable) the carb I make out of aluminum and some brass.The most time consuming is to make the bearings. I make them out of a lump of ceramic and burn them myself in a oven. they turn out great.I say go ahead and do your own engines, its not at all difficult and well worth the time you have to put in it. Afterall a new engine can cost as much as 120 bucks.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 AM

I would love to see pictures, words are not too convincing.

Ryan
Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM

{EDITED} Pointless post. Duh.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Sounds cool, can we get some pics?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:50 PM

I would love to see pics. And i will most likely be trying this in two weeks.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Tell him to go for it... seriously.

The materials are nothing special.
Use 7075 Alu for the rod.
High silicone Alu for piston
The liner is brass with a chrome in the bore. It needs to be tapered slightly. No clue about how much.
The case is cast Alu but just have him machine it from 6061 or 7075 Alu.
Hardened steel for the crank and wrist pin.

He can probably do it but it will take time to get it right.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:40 PM

Ok for all you non informed on machining equipment a low precision mill or lathe is accurate to around 1/10000 of an an inch and a high precision one is around 1/100000 to put this in persepective an average human hair is only 4/10000 of an inch in thickness so no you dont need a "high precision" mill or lathe to make parts my dad makes me parts all the time (career machinist 25+ years) I'm starting to learn how but im not to good with mill yet but it really isnt that difficult if you have some teach you who knows what there doing and has the time.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks im gonna have to try it
Old 03-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Why not use the internal parts from an existing engine and just make the case. Custom engine case ( engrave your name, turn a side exhaust sleeve 90 degrees and have a rear exhaust, change mounting hole dimensions, water cooling.) the possibilities are endless. People who tell you that it can't be done are narrow minded naysayers, go for it.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:23 AM

I will but how could i make it liquid cooled?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Take a look at the marine engines for boats, just a cooling head with a water passage. In a car you would need a radiator and a pump to cool and circulate the water, probably not worth the trouble.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:18 PM

just run it up to your feet`s and take a piss on it occationally, that should do it
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: asmund

Is this a good material for the crank case? I.e. will Titanium expand with the piston sleeve at the correct rate when at operating temp?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Don't bother with Titanium. I's very difficult to machine.

What's wrong with Aluminum?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Titanium isn't as good as unobtainium although it is cheaper and easier to machine.I've had the best results using it rather than titanium but it does require a 4 axis mill with a top speed in excess of 30,000rpm to get the best results from the diamond cutting tools.I make the head out of high temperature glass so I can see if the fuel's igniting okay,takes all the guess work out of finding the right mixture.
Pistons should me made from magnetic iron so that any stray metal particles stick to it and don't float about inside causing the bearings to break down.
Best fuel is 98% nitrmethane with 1%oil and 1% nitro benzine or turps if no nitro benzine available,my engines easily exceed 60,000rpm and last for over 30 gallons of fuel.
I'd post a pic,but the next doors dog buried the engine somewhere and he won't tell me where,even though I've tried to bribe him with a jam sandwich.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: bikeracer
I make the head out of high temperature glass so I can see if the fuel's igniting okay,takes all the guess work out of finding the right mixture.
Finding the correct needle setting requires running the engine at speed with a load. You will never achieve complete combustion, so what colour of the rainbow are you looking for?

Best fuel is 98% nitrmethane with 1%oil and 1% nitro benzine or turps if no nitro benzine available,my engines easily exceed 60,000rpm and last for over 30 gallons of fuel.
If you prove to me your engine spins 60 000RPM and runs on 1% oil for over 30 gallons, I will buy your engine for $30 000 US Dollars...... Better yet, just the 60 000RPM

EDIT: I LOVE THIS PART
Pistons should me made from magnetic iron so that any stray metal particles stick to it and don't float about inside causing the bearings to break down.
Ryan
Old 07-23-2006, 06:41 PM

----"Finding the correct needle setting requires running the engine at speed with a load. You will never achieve complete combustion, so what colour of the rainbow are you looking for?"--------

Well it varies between a darkish black and a lightish white,depends on which specs I'm wearing at the time.

-------"If you prove to me your engine spins 60 000RPM and runs on 1% oil for over 30 gallons, I will buy your engine for $30 000 US Dollars...... Better yet, just the 60 000RPM"--------

I can't prove anything now that that damn dog buried it,further bad news is that he's just been taken to the vet and it's unlikely he'll be coming back.I'll miss him because he was good at sweeping up and making tea.

I wish I could sell it to you as it would make me a tidy profit of $29.997.99 and I need another batch of unobtanium and there's a world shortage at the moment with all stocks kept in Beirut,plus the glass blowers are on strike.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 PM

First of all, the frequencies caused by the engine combustion would break the glass. If your fuel had Nitrobenzine in it, I would like to know where you get it. Read this, about a 1/3 of the way down it say this... Nitrobenzine(Oil of Mirbane) Yellow oil in some perfumes and dyes. It reacts with the blood and corrupts it, and also paralyzes the central nervous system. Initial symptoms: burning sensation then numbness in mouth. Pallor. Unconsiousness. Death within about 2 hours by respiratory failure. Post-mortem appearance: Cyanosis - greyness at extremities. Blood dark and thick. Stomach has a red congestion and bleeding under the surface. Organs smell of bitter almonds, like with cyanide.

http://www.keleka.net/deepbackground...cs/toxicol.htm

Respiratory failure, do you know what that means? You inhale it, you are dead in 2 hours.

Another dumb comment, Unobtanium is a word that describes a metal characteristics that are impossible. We use that term in the engineering world all the time. It also sounds alot like Unobtainable.

As well, a 4 axis mill? Why am I wasting my time trying to argue with you.
Anyway, lets all wait for the silly rebuttal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.