Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
century hawk sport--anyone have one? >

century hawk sport--anyone have one?

Community
Search
Notices

century hawk sport--anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default century hawk sport--anyone have one?

wondering if anyone has one and how does it fly--seems like a small peice of change for this heli--would like to get one for a kick around machine???????.......joe
Old 10-28-2002, 02:44 AM
My Feedback: (56)

Default hawk sport

get its great, cant wait for the 60 size.

jcp
Old 10-28-2002, 05:47 PM

I got one! Love it.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:53 PM
My Feedback: (117)

Originally posted by office
I got one! Love it.
Tell us more , what dod you like about it ?
Old 10-29-2002, 06:17 PM

Default Hawk Sport

Well worth the price and a lot more. IMHO it is truely a best buy.

Why? Because: 1) It has proven over time to be very trouble free (very low maintenance), 2) very issue free (no major design or manufacturing problems), 3) can be set up as a very stable trainer or hotter for trying 3D aerobatics, 4) is inexpensive to purchase so it leaves more money to spend on radio, gyro or engine, 5) is inexpensive to repair, 6) is easy to build (great manual), 7) it is very light for a 30 giving it a superior power to weight ratio for when one gets into aerobatics, 8) this also results in a light disc loading giving it better autorotation characteristics then heavier 30's, 9) It has always had good parts availability, 10) It comes with a very good one piece muffler, 11) the inexpensive and easy to install BB upgrade makes it very slop free 12) after one has completed their initial training all they have to do is exchange the good stock wood mainblades for a better set of inexpensive FunKey 550 fiberglass mainblades and one will have precision flight performance that belies the total money invested. For a total of only $222 ($160 for kit plus $22 for the extra BB upgrade and $40 for the FK blades) one will end up with one of the best, if not the best 30 sze heli on the market.

Many 30's on the market can combine a number of these features, but no other that I know of can combine so many of them, specially at such a low price.

All of the above is gleaned from over 15 years owning and flying many makes and models of R/C helicopters.

Albert
Old 10-29-2002, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the Hawk sport and the caliber 30. I also had a nexus. They all weighed the same within two ounces. I don't have a lot of time on my Hawk but it is a decent machine for the money. I have upgraded to the tube drive in the tail and the bearing upgrade in the head. Both well worth the money. I also mounted the tail servo on the boom with a direct carbon pushrod to the control arm. I flew the hawk several times prior to these upgrades and I could tell the difference in feel. Had I only had experience with my Nexus, I would still be impressed as hell with it. But, my caliber 30 still has a better feel, smoother yet more responsive. The caliber is also much quieter. If I was to destroy the Hawk I'd probably get another Caliber to replace it. By the time I did the upgrades to the Hawk I had spent almost $260 and the calibers can be had around $280.
On the other hand, I have had a couple friends thinking about trying helis and I have recommended the Sport Hawk to both of them as they can get into one so much cheaper than the caliber and can learn to fly. Then if they wish to stay in helis and upgrade it's not too expensive.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 10-30-2002, 04:37 AM
My Feedback: (56)

Default hawk sport

i agree. i have sold all my helis (.60 & gas). upgrades just cost to much plus i did not want to crash any of them. The hawk is the way to go if you just learning or just learning 3D aerobatics. I am also going to work on my first scale heli.

charles
Old 11-04-2002, 12:57 AM

The hawk sport is a great heli. I started out with the basic which I thought was great to begin with. I've since added the carbon tail drive, triple ball bearing tail rotor dirve and grips, and the ball bearing upgrade. A friend has had both the nexus and 30 raptor and after flying the hawk he plans on getting one for himself. It's a very stable and forgiving machine. it's not expensive to maintain, and the upgrades are very reasonable. I can't wait for the 60 size to come out!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Default RE: century hawk sport--anyone have one?

Hey Im new to the game. I bought this heli off ebay. I wondered if any of you vets. could look at it and Tell me what you can?? The seller identified it as a Century Hawk 30. I m not doughting him Just looking for info before I start getting it air- ready..

KEEP ON CHOPPIN!!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM

The Hawk 30 was the first in this series that came out about 12 years ago (1994). The Hawk Sport, as you can see from the posts here, was released almost 8 years later. There are so many differences that they could be different helis (much like the difference between my sons Honda Civic from 1992 and the one my daughter got in 2001). They may have the same name, but due to the vintage, they are vastly different machines.

You should easily be able to descern the differences by examining the manuals that are available in the PDF format in the customer support site here at Century Helicopters:

http://www.centuryheli.com/support/m...ml?currentid=2

The Sport is one of the first listed (go to the full build manual, not the quick build), then go down to the "Older helicopters" section and look at the Hawk III (vintage 1998/99). The Hawk III will have more in common with your earlier Hawk 30 then with the Hawk Sport.

Even the great little Hawk Sport was improved further in 2005 and is called the Hawk Pro. Again with this heli it seems they have again kept on top of the 30 size market with a low cost heli

Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info you have been very helpful..