Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS61ar/OS61RF-P/Hanno/ or Rossi61FIRE

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS61ar/OS61RF-P/Hanno/ or Rossi61FIRE

It seems like these were the "choice" engines of the times.
I just wanted to know what you guys liked the best and why did youconsider your choice overthe others.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:25 AM

Default RE: YS61ar/OS61RF-P/Hanno/ or Rossi61FIRE

rossi, for sure, on my opinion...
easy to tune, very powerful, reliable and.... simple, wich is not always the case with the sensitive fuel pump system of the two others you have proposed...
Last, the rossi is a pure short stroke, and a real classic MUST scream..... like during the good old days...
Old 08-15-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ys made a 60 short stroke some have called the most powerful ever.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM
My Feedback: (18)

My experience is recent and not from "back in the day" (I wasn't able to afford all that cool stuff back then) .. he he

I don't have any Rossi engines but I have a few YS 60's and 61's along with some OS 61 RF-P's...I've only run them on the test stand so far cause I don't have any of their planes ready to fly but here are some of my opinions:

I'm pretty amazed with each one of the engines I've run...They are all very strong and easy to deal with...It's been a joy to play with them so far...

My two favorites would have to be the OS 61 RF-P Hanno Special and YS 61LS AR...They both have a little extra "coolness factor" built in and boy are they powerful!!! Both swing bigger props and turn lower RPM's than their siblings (the standard YS 61LS and OS 61 RF-P)...

The YS AR kinda stands out from the crowd because it comes from the factory with an aluminum piston liner which is really kewl!! It cost me an extra $100 per engine to get an aftermarket AAC piston/liner for the Hanno engines (not that I'm complaining!! I feel extremely fortunate to have them!! It's just super kewl that the YS AR comes with a good liner)...

Both the Hanno and the AR have a machined aluminum cylinder head which is really neat...Both are "tuned" to run at lower rpm's -vs- their standard versions...The Hanno has a really nice crank and a stainless steel rear bearing which comes from the factory...The AR has some internal differences from the standard YS LS as well...

On the test stand the OS Hanno and the YS AR run almost neck-and-neck to each other (both will spin an APC 12x12 @ 10,3k)...It will be fun to get them in the air cause I can tell they are gonna be some real stump pullers...

The "standard" YS 61LS and OS 61 RF-P are very comparable to each other too...They are noticeably different engines then their "big brothers" (the AR and Hanno) which is pretty interesting...They turn a little higher RPM's (10.5-11.5k) and spin slightly less of a prop (APC 12x10 max)...They each handle very nicely and are allot of fun to run on the test stand...

I've only run one of my YS 60 short stroke engines...I found it very powerful but I'm not quite as familiar with it yet...It seemed happy swinging a 12x8 APC and was turning @ 12k if I remember correctly...I still have some learning to do on the YS 60's as far as tuning ect...

I grew up running YS engines (45's, 91's and 120's) so I'm kinda familiar with their "peculiarities"...These are my first YS 60/61 engines but so far they seem to be on par with my past experience...

These are my very first OS engines ever...I'd probably say the OS's seem a little more "user friendly" than the YS's can be...I've read comments where people almost hated the YS 61's back in the day cause they could never get them to run right...I can understand that and see where the OS engines may be a bit easier to handle...But once you learn YS engines they are very reliable...You have to learn to get it set-up correctly, don't touch anything, leave the regulator screw alone and have good fresh fuel!! They are good engines...

Most all of the engines I've acquired have been used with only one or two nib...My normal procedure is to take each one apart and go through it prior to running...I've got to see all the "innerds" on each of my engines...The Hanno is really almost a work of art!! Then the YS AR has some neat stuff in it too...I'll typically replace bearings and high wear items plus inspect everything real good before putting them back together...I've now decided I'll swap out the stock Hanno ABN liners with a new Shadel/Nelson AAC piston & sleeve assy before I run those engines again...

OK..So once again I ramble...Sorry I just like yacking about these engines..he he

Just my experiences so far...I'm defiantly no expert on the subject!! Just stuff I've noticed while playing around on the test stand...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 AM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Which FIRE Rossi? Rossi made both short and long stroke versions. Are you also including the new AXE Rossi?
This is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. The Rossi short stroke was king in its day which was well before the YS AR and OS Hanno SPecial appeared. The YS 60FR was IMHO the premier short stroke engine, however, I also think the Rossi was the best engine for the general pattern flying pilots as it was easier to operate out of the box. I ran OS and YS very successfully, but watched other club members struggle with the YS (the pipe was too short and they would never set the needle rich enough). Their engine woes ended with a switch to the (virtually) bullet-proof Rossi.
I have run the AR and the Hanno and they are both excellent engines. My personal favorite engine is the Hanno Special. The current stock example that I'm running has nearly 500 flights with only the occasional plug change (typically 60-80 flights, but my last one went 135) on 15% nitro and an APC 13x9 prop. The YS runs very well, too, but the pressurized fuel system requires a bit more maintenance. The YS AAC piston liner is better than the OS 'ABC' (actually ABN), but with a Nelson piston/sleeve the OS is an outstanding engine.
The advantage of providing a fuel delivery system (pump or regulated crank pressure) allows you to place the fuel tank on the CG eliminating minor pitch trim changes during the flight.
If you were giving me an engine I'd be happy with any of them
-Will B
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I ran both YS short stroke and OS VF's. I would clean up and smooth the internal crankcase on th VF and run it with thelarge bore 3-needle card. The VF would easily run with the YS and was less tempremental. Only problem with the OS was the pealing liners.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I ran a Rossi 61 in my Atlanta. It would never finish a flight and I was completely lost about the problem. I finally installed a Perry pump, completely different animal after that. Plane hauled some... That was waaay back in the late 80s. I'm now more interested in the OS and YS engines, mainly because (as Atlanta_60 put it) of the kewl factor.
I have collected a few of the Rossi rear exhaust and now have to unload them. Kewlness comes at a price..unfortuantely. So I'm focusing on just the YS and OS for now.

DM
Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the OS line from the VF all the way thru the OS61RF Hanno Special. I switched from Rossi/Webra when turnaround started and we were trying to slow the planes down with larger props. My OS 61 Hannos and RFs were very reliable (except for the peeling liners) and I could count on my competition running YSs to loose one or two rounds because they didn't finish the round.

After I found someone that could chrome (real chrome) my cylinders, the OSs were dead nuts reliable. New bearing every 75-100 flights and you were 'good to go'.

I still have some chrome sleeves around somewhere.
Woodie
Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 AM

[X(][X(][X(]
Who chromed them????

DM
Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 AM

that's what i was thinking. and put those sleeves up for sale!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM

I went through a period where I was desperate because I had a Hanno liner which had peeled and no replacement..I was very sad...Fortunatly another run of Shadel/Nelson liners came about (Thanks Aurora 60 & flywilly!!) and I was able to get in on them..

It whould be Extremely nice to know who chromed your liners!!!

I came across a couple of guys but neither one would do the OS ABN liners due to the perticular nickle plating used...They said their chrome wouldn't stick or something to that effect..

Sure would be nice to have a back-up plan in the event someone needed it..

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Chuck, and everybody...
Henry gave me the name of a gentleman who performed 'restorative' chroming. He did not say if he had any restrictions. We did chat about chroming old OS liners (not re-chroming as they were never chromed in the first place ). Henry said it can be done. The chroming part is the easy part. It is the removal of ALL the nickel on the OS sleeve that is the labor intensive (or pain the a**) part of the process. Apparently, any nickel left on the sleeve interferes with the chroming process and the integrity of the chrome. Henry would actually prefer to just make new parts (he did NOT commit to making any more). I will find the name and post it here. I may call him first to get all the details which I can post here and save him a lot of emails!
As an aside, Henry is a perfectionist and chroming used OS liners may provide us with perfectly adequate parts that just don't meet his exacting standards!
-Will B.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM

I know what you mean Will!! As a matter of fact I removed the nickle from my failed Hanno liner and it was indeed a pain in the arse!! My fingers were sore for a week..lol...I can't remember what I did with that sleeve?? I think I may have tossed it...kinda stupid..I should have hung on to it "just in case"...I was successful in removing the nickle so I know it can be done but it's a lot of work...

That's great if there is a chromer out there who would work on the OS liners!! I still worry a little about my standard RF-P engines cause I didn't save any spare liners for them..I kinda wish I would have but there were a couple of guys in need so I let my "spares" go to a greater cause...

Have Fun..

Chuck
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 AM

Daggets,
Were all the Rossi short stroke?

DM
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM

in the past, all the rossi were short stroke... lately, they have made a long stroke 60 class...
they are available at sahaks axe rossi engine in the us... as an european, i have bought all my italian rossi there, as they are almost unfindable here, in france...
The new rossi are almost the same since 30 years, but the carb and the internal design have been improved...
They are not to be confused with the novarossi engine, those one are another kind made by the brother...
can have a look...http://www.rossienginesusa.us/
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 AM

I have a 45 Record Rossi that I was thinking of getting rid of. Last night I took it apart to see which sleeve it had. Wow... the quality in the parts is nothing like a production engine. The rod looks like something from a Summit catalog.
Very nice

DM
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Does anyone have any performance numbers on the Rossi engines, either short or long stroke?
I remember Atlanta60 a;ready did a side by side of the YS and the Hanno quite some time ago.
Should even look into the Webra 61 with the Dynamix carb. I think Ranedave did that one?
And the Supertiger X series..

DM
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe not of great help but better than nothing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61845.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1261347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58593.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1261348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49874.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1261349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59583.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1261350  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 AM

wow...I love this forum

Thanks UStik!!

DM
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a fun forum!

Now looking at all these curves together, most remarkable seems the Webra long-stroke with sustained torque in the lower rpm range. The Rossi, on the other hand, has a bit more peak performance but nearly collapses at low rpm. Is it that why Hanno and others preferred the Webra? (And did they use the Hanno Special for the sponsoring?)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:23 AM

Subscribed.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 PM
TFF

I went into the hobby shop today to wast some time. Poked around and found a nib Webra Speed .61F-LS black head with alum. stripe. They have 4-5 more. It is a junk shop hobby shop and it seems he has got a hold of someone who had an old hobby shop's stock. Has the old Circus Circus stamp in the box lid.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM

[X(][X(][X(]
Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

[X(][X(][X(]

no kidding!!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM
TFF

The biggest problem was not being able to get all. Got a nib OS .45 FSR too, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.