Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

F3A Special Pattern Radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3A Special Pattern Radios

Hi all,

I have Just spent 8 Hours Repairing a very nice Futaba FP- 8-JN FM radio, it had alot of issues,
here in Australia we fly Mode 1 , this radio was Mode 2 sort of ???

The the Throtte (3) and Elev (2) were swapped in factory and labled but the trims were Mode 1 ???

I don't know why Futaba would supply a Mode 2 configed this way, the other problem was the Snap roll switches if pressed would lock up the Elevator [X(]

I fixed the mode Issue by swapping the wires to the Stick pots so every thing is Mode 1

After alot of cct tracing I diagnosed the issue with the snap switches to be Faulty(yes this took a few hours !!! )I found the fault to be bad CD4066 chips which I replaced
I also cleaned everthing, all the switches were in good shape and did not need replacing.

The Manual was missing but is on the Futaba Site.

Did any other Radios makers eg. JR, Kraft ect make any dedicated Pattern radios like futaba ?

Johnkpap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98913.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1268871  
Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Default RE: F3A Special Pattern Radios

The trims were done that way on purpose. It was called cross trims, made it easier to trim the elevator without taking your hand off the stick. Proline also used this and when I built my Ace Silver Seven I wired the trims that way.

To answer your question, yes all mfg's made/make what could be called "pattern" radios.

FWIW I used a Futaba 8JN in the early 80's as my main patten radio. It was not a popular radio because of the cost and Proline's stronghold.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes I remember sitting in class (high school) and dreaming of having an 8JN. when I finally became of age for a job, I settled for a 7FGK. The cost of an 8JN was more than double that of the 7FGK on FM. I'm still looking for one and an 8SSAP.
Nice work on preserving that radio John!!!

DM
Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM

If anyone finds one at a swap meet thats dead, no power ......BUY IT

The fault is a 0.1 ohm resistor being used as a fuse cost of the part 5c !!!!

If anyone needs help fixing one, PM me.

There was also a Manual with settings for the radio for various F3a aerobatics, If any one has
one a copy would be nice as the radio cam with no manuals but I did get the box Reciever and charger.

I did manage to dig up a copy of the RCM Review, I will post it shortly.

I am going to test the radio In a trainer in a few weeks it has been Tested and Stickered, It is ok to fly it is narrow band 20khz FM.

Regards

Johnkpap
Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I still have my 8JN as well as a 5JN. I bought 2 5JNs back in the very early 80s (for pattern use, and a bit less expensive). When I got a promotion/raise I indulged in an 8JN which I flew for almost 15 years. I'll have to find them (I should have the manuals too), maybe post some photos. I've always kept all my old radios (one 5JN and a few WE Expert radios are still at my parents' house, though I'm sure my dad has cannabalized them by now - being an avid R/Cer and inveterate electronics tinkerer) - except for my Kraft radios from the '70s which were sold when I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.
-Will
Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my uncle has several kraft radios, one really nice one (7 channel super or something)that has never been used. i should inquire about using one for some pattern flying.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

my uncle has several kraft radios, one really nice one (7 channel super or something)that has never been used. i should inquire about using one for some pattern flying.
Was your fathers' Kraft a "Signature"? [X(]

DM
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks Everyone for the info

I am posting a RCM Review and a Advert from Airborne

Regards

Johnkpap
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nk27795.pdf (1.62 MB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf
Vq52437.pdf (458.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Was your fathers' Kraft a ''Signature''? [X(]

DM
yes, i think it is a signature. i think that's the one still nib
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 AM

Oh My Gosh..
A NIB Kraft Sig. Series. That would be worth more than the new Futaba 14mz to a collector, and even more to you I'm sure, since it was your fathers'.
So what did you're father fly? He had to be REALLY into the hobby to make such an investment like that just for a backup.
Love to see a pic, if at all possible. The switches would be in a custom placement as per your fathers requirements.
Do you think you'll ever fly with it?

wow...I still cant get over it.
There is a New never used Kraft Signature radio sitting somewhere.
Kind of makes me warm inside.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

DM
Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 AM

The 8JN was a very good rig in it's day. As I said before I used one in the early 80's (still own it). When they first were out there was a problem with the control pots, something about the sticks not returning to dead center. Futaba fixed/upgraded this quickly. As much as I liked using the radio I never did quite like the control sticks. I was so used to the silky smooth Proline ones. At one time(and I still might) I was thinking about replacing the sticks with ones from ACE.

Although I was a Futaba guy in the day I must say I always lusted after the Kraft "Sig's"!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:35 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kraft Signatures and the Prolines had the cross trims in better places. They were at the upper right and left corners so when you wanted to trim the elevator you just took your thumb off the throttle and it was right there. Cross trims in the center of the TX is a bit of a oddity. I have 2 used Kraft Signatures and I would say keep it NIB. If it is used 1 time it is not NIB; you probably have the only one left.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

Oh My Gosh..
A NIB Kraft Sig. Series. That would be worth more than the new Futaba 14mz to a collector, and even more to you I'm sure, since it was your fathers'.
So what did you're father fly? He had to be REALLY into the hobby to make such an investment like that just for a backup.
Love to see a pic, if at all possible. The switches would be in a custom placement as per your fathers requirements.
Do you think you'll ever fly with it?

wow...I still cant get over it.
There is a New never used Kraft Signature radio sitting somewhere.
Kind of makes me warm inside.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

DM

actually it's my uncle's. he's the one that got me into rc planes back in the early 80's. i used to have an old red colored transmitter (World?) that he gave me. i know he has 2-3 kraft radios, 1 is certainly a top of the line radio. and he has never been serious about flying. just buying and building. so the radios are all in good shape. he has many nib items. a OS .91 DF VR, a Fox twin 1.20 right out of the factory that he toured, K&B, HB engines, several kits (all warbirds). boxes of balsa and on and on.

i will check in on the Kraft radios
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 PM

awww an old 8JN!

I miss mine, my first radio, and my dad's last.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 PM

THere is someone selling a 8SS here on RCU. Kinda pricey though, at least for me right now. He does have it as a complete system though. I'll have to keep looking.
I do have some nice JR single sticks to play with
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM
bem

Hi,

Anyone know if the 8 chFutaba FP8-JN FM radio had 35 MHz module for transmitter and a 35 MHz reciever?
I checked in the US manual at Hobbico http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8jn-manual.pdfand on FMbandonly 53 MHz is mentioned.
Maybe there was FM 35 MHz selecteable for theEuropean market (where 53 MHz is unusual as far as I know)?

/Bo
Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 AM
TFF

53 mhz was for the US ham radio market which, when it came out was the only band you could transmit FM on until the modern 72mhz. I am sure they had 35 FM if it was legal at that time, because Futaba is a world company. I am sure you could wire a modern FM 35 in if you cant find a standard module.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (21)

A Futaba 88SS, I have one. Might be interested in selling it, but I would need to find another SS sinceI need the SS to be competitive. I have JR and Pro line too, like thosepretty much. I know this post is a bit old but just in case.
Mark
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Bo,

Did you check with Robbe/Futaba about a transmitter module?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Bo-
It's possible to make a TK or TP module work in a J radio. It's just a matter of making a small adaptor board between the J input pins and the TK/TP output socket. You can remove the plastic cover from the smaller module, insert into the adaptor board and apply a piece of double-sided tape to the back of the new module. Remove the plastic case from the original module and push the outside half into place-Voila!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48734.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1297258  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
bem

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; ">Hi,<div></div><div>Crazy idea with a Futaba FP8-JN: put a 2.4 GHz module in the transmitter with 2.4 GHz reciever?
Seems there is a Corona module and reciever package that will fit if I'm not totally wrong?
http://www.corona-rc.com/coproductsh...?ArticleID=125

Any other aftermarket 2.4 GHz systems that would work with aFutaba FP8-JN?
Jeti model 2.4 GHz systems perhaps,http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?p...oduct&amp;id=2
And Spectrum 2.4 GHz system,http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/T...odID=SPMMSFUT9
</div><div>Any other 2.4 GHz systems that could fit?

/Bo</div></div></span>
Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 AM

What about this Idea

I have a old FT-TF-AM from a old 5G radio, This has the same case as the 29MHZ FM FP-TM1-FM IN IN MY FP-T8J

The other thing I have is a old FF7 (One memory) I am thinking of making up a adaptor out of both these two items that will
look neat and professional.

I have also been told that 29mhz modules can be re-tuned to 36mhz ,35mhz and 40mhz

I dont want to do this, I like to keep things origonal or make mods that can be un-dun also I have 3 29mhz FM rx that I can use.

I will post pic's If it works

Johnkpap