Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
 What to do with a Hanno head with a stripped glow plug thread?? >

What to do with a Hanno head with a stripped glow plug thread??

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What to do with a Hanno head with a stripped glow plug thread??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What to do with a Hanno head with a stripped glow plug thread??

Oh, how desperate have we become???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75912.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	1279756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25119.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	654.6 KB
ID:	1279757  
Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to do with a Hanno head with a stripped glow plug thread??

Hi,
You can send it to: Lee CustomEngines
10112 Woodward Ave.
Sunland, Ca. 91040
PH# 818 352 2766

By the way, this is Clarence Lee who wrote Engine Clinic in R C M Magzine.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome!! Clarence is still doing his magic?
Definately calling him in the morning!

DM
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

ARGHHHH,

I spent hours machining a nice stepped hole and matching brass insert along with paying $20 AUD for a glow plug tap, and the best comment is I should send it elsewhere. Does my repair really look THAT bad [&o]

Just kidding, I enjoyed every minute of it The Hanno should have had a brass insert from the start..
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bjr 93tz

You also could have made a helicoil yourself, that was my solution, but congratulations because our hobby is making, and not buying solutions.
I think the amount of hours to spend was the same but my lathe and the space for the solution was a little smaller. Nice job, good picture.
Taurus Flyer

Name:	Jh16343.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1280139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53406.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1280140  
Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought your repair looked great! Couldn’t understand why people were telling you to send it out for repair.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM

?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey BJR,
Great looking workmanship! Now the head will outlast all the rest of the parts. I did have a crankshaft break on a Hanno (after 1700+ flights).
What are you flying the engine in?
-Will
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think some of us misunderstood the thread. i wondered what was wrong with the head, now i understand you were showing us your repair. does look nice btw.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 PM

same head as sf and rf to my knowledge just not red. but a good anodizing shop can fix that for under $40.

gary
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the complements fellas, I feel so much better now. I only posted it because my self esteem needed a bit of a boost. []

It really hurt me to have this happen as I am dreading the day when this motor will become a shelf display item because of some unobtainable part. I can see the day in the future when this motor will have a flywilly/nelson piston liner, home made crank and conrod, aftermarket bearings and a perry pump, BUT as long as it has a red head and a number stamped on the case than it'll forever be a "Hanno Special"

Taurus Flyer: Making a helicoil is just wrong, a man shouldn't need those skills to have fun with aeroplanes, and engine manufactures should be embarrased that their customers will go to such lengths to extend the life of a motor part because they won't carry spares at a reasonable price or not at all.

flywilly: Engine is in a 8 1/4 lb SlingShot circa '92. A bit overweight but still flies ok, I'm Brett Richards in the Sportsmen class, first comp back since last one in '94.
http://www.qpfa.org.au/Results/2009/...20Results.html

Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

I'm Brett Richards in the Sportsmen class, first comp back since last one in '94.

In Sportsman, a competitor returning to the discipline, Brett Richards, won out with some excellent flying , while Kieren and Steve rounded out the top three.

1 Brett Richards 1000.00 1000.00 1000.00 1000.00 1000.00 1000.00 5000.00

Nice job Brett
Old 09-23-2009, 02:03 AM

Oh my gosh Brett! [X(] With your skills you shouldn't be buying any parts... they should be sponsoring you!
Damn nice perfect score!!!

DM
Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 AM

Ahh the old slingshot, they're still nice.

Good work on the last comp, you got it in spades man

now, BACK TO THE FIRECRACKER! (yes, I'm watching you! I'm curare on the other forum)
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

Ahh the old slingshot, they're still nice.
What? You mean David may have actually produced a straight one? Every SlingShot I ever saw, except for his, had a floppy, crooked rear end. They carried left aileron and right rudder trim and mine is no different. At least until I recovered the wings and un-twisted them but there's nothing you can do about the lopsided fin. Very nice plane but very bad kitting, for $250 fuse and cores you sort of got what you paid for, Bolly kitted Lotus's were much better quality.

I am very tempted to build an all wood Slingshot ripoff, with a dope and silked finish and get it sub 7lbs for the Hanno as this airframe is too heavy (8.25lb) and I won't do snap rolls with it anymore as it's getting on a bit. A sub 7lb Slingshot with an OS 91 pumped Surpass would be a treat....

Better yet, pry open the cheque book and make Steve Coram an offer for one of his Zeque's

Name:	Mk26629.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1280502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86390.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1280503  
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM

hehe, I'll ask steve if he's willing to sell!

Oh and for the record, the lotus wasn't much stiffer, they had a bit of a wobbly old tail end.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice looking workmanship on your Slingshot, BJR. I was tempted by both the Slingshot and the Lotus (back when there was a Bolly kit importer here in North America), but he wasn't bringing those kits in (or didn't have any and the wait was at least 3-4 months); so I went with the Runaround.
I'd like to build a current design (Zeque, Aries, etc.) but in a 60 sized version - they are so much more convenient - and I have lots of Hannos in various states of aging, but still running well (I just rebuilt 5 of them).
OS has stopped making the 1.40RX; so after almost 30 years they are no longer producing a rear exhaust pattern engine :-( I doubt they will make a larger version.
I guess it's just 4-strokes or electrics (pick your poison[:'(])
-Will
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Renegade/Curare, I might ask him myself if he turns up to the IMAC comp at SWARMS again on the Australia day long weekend. I met the bloke for the first time there at SWARMS this year, funny story was that I nicked one of his color schemes for a Curare I built in '90/'91 so meeting him in person nearly 20 years later really added to the weekend, top bloke as well as he called for me while my older brother (I was flying his planes) had to duck into town.

Nah, I couldn't afford a Zeque anyway so I think I'll build a top plane for the Hanno and use it to stir up the bigger planes

Flywilly, at the Dalby comp John Payne had a deadstick with his electric. Turned out the batteries had broken a tab off inside the pack, if he had been running an S-BEC or regulator off that pack then he could have kissed his plane good-bye. Lesson learned that it's hard to beat a simple Ni-Cad pack running through a mechanical switch when it come to flight controls.

I think that electric is the way to go in the long run if you're serious about pattern, but fourstrokes sound right for the job and give the plane some "presence" in the air. Two-strokes are just plain wrong (under the current rules) but a well sorted two-stroke still does a good job....
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM

I've gone in a slightly different direction, of running an MVVS 160 petrol in my last pattern ship (that said my current bird has a 140 in it,) I think a little more time spent on getting an effective schnurle ported 30cc rear exhaust petrol would be a helluva engine.

I'll design it, if someone supplies the CNC gear to do it!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Fantastic job on the brass insert!! That looks really great and thanks for sharing the "repair technique"!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks Atlanta60.

If anyone out there wants to know, I drilled the remaining thread out with a 7.5mm drill then drilled in an 8mm hole from the combustion chamber side stopping about 1.5mm short. In effect creating a stepped hole with a 0.25mm ledge. This also means the OD of the glow plug washer is slightly larger than the OD of the brass insert at the top so it effectively stops the insert (and glowplug) from "falling" into the cylinder while the step stops it "popping" out the top.

A piece of brass was drilled with a 5.5mm drill and tapped with a 1/4" 32TPI UNEF tap, then turned durn to the appropriate diameters.

My best guesses and a bit of googling indicated that the brass should expand less than the aluminiun so the "fit" should loosen as the head heats up and tighten as the head cools down, so after carefully calculating the required diameters that would give me the optimum interference fit at the expected operating temperature I machined the insert until it felt like it was going to fit if I heated the head a bit....

I then heated the head and pressed the thing in with a drill press and a drop of loctite, and cleaned up the seat and combustion chamber, and bingo!

PS. the machining purists will want to kill me for making the stepped hole with jobber drills and measuring the insert diameter with a vernier caliper but when you're doing an outside job at work in another department's workshop you try not to draw too much attention to yourself.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Thanks Atlanta60.

If anyone out there wants to know, I drilled the remaining thread out with a 7.5mm drill then drilled in an 8mm hole from the combustion chamber side stopping about 1.5mm short. In effect creating a stepped hole with a 0.25mm ledge. This also means the OD of the glow plug washer is slightly larger than the OD of the brass insert at the top so it effectively stops the insert (and glowplug) from ''falling'' into the cylinder while the step stops it ''popping'' out the top.
[quote]
Wow Brett, that is some really good forsight. I would have just drilled through. Now if I can get my brain to remember this one when I need to use it...

DM
Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Thanks Atlanta60.

bla bla bla

I then heated the head and pressed the thing in with a drill press and a drop of loctite, and cleaned up the seat and combustion chamber, and bingo!

PS. the machining purists will want to kill me for making the stepped hole with jobber drills and measuring the insert diameter with a vernier caliper but when you're doing an outside job at work in another department's workshop you try not to draw too much attention to yourself.

Brett,

When you did the outside job at work in another department’s workshop and you did clean up that workshop after you were finished the way you did clean your engine seat before making the picture you will get a lot of attention the next time when you show up, maybe THEY want to kill you, so be careful. (LOL).

BTW I measure the temperature of the gasket during operation and flights and these temps are 175 degrees C during normal operation and over 200 degrees C when mixture leans. (347 a 392 F)

Cees

Name:	Jh16216.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1282506  
Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 AM

C'mon TaurusFlyer give a poor guy a break

The copper washer seals on the shiny brass and aluminum "ring" not the cruddy looking anodised bit out near the fins.

I could have cut the seat a fraction lower, but when you have the head in a lathe spinning at about 900 rpm winding in a four flouted 1/2 inch endmill mounted in the tailstock and you can't see the seat because it's recessed, it takes a brave man to take "just one more cut"

I'm a bit surprised they let me in there at all, but I did do a few fitting and machining modules during my Electrical apprenticeship. I even cut the thread for the leadscrew in the vice I had to make. Long time ago now....

Name:	Ca82141.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1282574  
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's his style bjr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.