Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Atlanta 60 and Engine - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlanta 60 and Engine - HELP

Hi,

I have a atlanta 60 with a Magnum .90 XLS. As you know due to the position of the tank, the engine is easily overfloated. I have been trying to use a Perry Pump or an Iron Bay regulator without much sucess. The best attempt was with the Perry pump which helped the engine not to sag when the nose was pointed up but I had some problems maintaining a reliable idle. Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as correct set up of an engine for this airplane?

Thanks a lot,

Le fou
Old 10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Atlanta 60 and Engine - HELP

The design of this airframe will make it difficult for an engine like the Magnum .91 to work well, as the Atlanta was designed for a pumped, rear exhaust .61 such as the YS .61 or the OS pumped .61 SF or Hanno Special. Your best bet might be to look for a pumped rear exhaust .61 on fleabay....
Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Glowplugboy suggested,the Atlanta MUST have a pumped engine such as the YS .60 or .61 or OS RE pumper. Reason being is that the fuel tank is on the C/G and is much higher than the carb needle valve. This is what you are finding out in that your engine is flooding out constantly. Find you and OS or YS on #bay and have a ball.

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 PM

So using a Perry pump or Iron Bay regulator does help the problem? Has anybody ever being able to use those with a "normal" engine on this airframe?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deadstick is correct that your best route to success is a pumped engine. Trying to attach Iron Bay or Cline to an Atlanta is analogous to a comment attributed to Dolly Parton's dad. He mentioned that her top side looked like someone trying to put ten pounds of flour into a five pound sack. The Atlanta's nose section is just to small to install the regulating equipment unless you hang it outside.

Although, Deadstick(sorry Dan) is a bit off about the tank being at the CG. It is really a good ways forward of the CG. But that really has nothing to do with your problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM

I saw some YS .61 helicopter version around. Do you know if it is possible to use them in an airplane?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM

There's no reason why your engine shouldn't perform like any other. Don't risk losing a plane to an unreliable engine. Remove the pump etc. and follow some simple steps:

1. RTFM (read the manual) for your engine. Use recommended fuel and break in procedure. Google for tuning tips, there's plenty. Read till your eyes bleed and read more. Use an engine test stand if possible.

2. Thoroughly check, clean, and test the fuel system. Ensure no clogs, clunk is working right, muff press line has no leaks, filter clear, fill line if installed is closed, oil buildup in tank, etc. Test for good flow by blowing in press line. Check carb for clogged idle air bleed etc.

3. Use new glow plug and new fuel - shaken well to mix before fueling. Stale old settled fuel even a month old can cause problems.

Good luck and happy flying.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Hi,

I am still looking around for a suitable engine. Do you think a OS 61 VF ABC FAI would work in this airframe? It does not have a pump but has the 7M carb.

Thanks for your inputs,

Le fou
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 PM

le fou,

How bought this setup for the perry pump.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20131.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1304614  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM

I don't have the Perry carburetor, just the Perry pump. Doe this schema still apply? Have you tried it with success in the Atlanta or another airplane with a similar setup?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

le fou,

I don't think all that stuff will fit in the nose of an Atlanta. As Deadstik and I mentioned above, the centerlline of the fuel tank is at least two to three inches above the carb. The airplane was designed back when the YS61s and OS61s, both pumped, were in vogue. These engines can still occassionally be found here in the classifieds and on that other auction site.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: le fou
I have been trying to use a Perry Pump or an Iron Bay regulator without much sucess.
ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

le fou,

I don't think all that stuff will fit in the nose of an Atlanta.
le fou,

I don't have an Atlanta but thought sense you mentioned that you tried a perry pump that the bypass method might relieve some pressure at idle.

Bryan

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Le Fou,
The OS 61VF should work assuming the tank is not too far (I don't know how far you can go here) away from the engine. The Tank C/L is above the engine if starting upright, but below it if starting inverted. I know it is a bit of a pain, but I eliminated the problems of starting inverted engines by building a cradle to hold the airplane inverted for starting (regardless of the fuel delivery system of the engine). How far is the tank from the firewall?
The information above is correct, the Atlanta was designed for a the OS pumper or YS (the short stroke version as the LS was not yet available) or Enya pumper.
Great flying airplane when you get the power issues resolved.
-Will
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Here's a copy n paste from Towers tech department:

FEATURES: This pump will provide fuel flow in any attitude, tank position, or fuel level. Helps improve plug life and fuel economy. Works with any engine with a good mid-range of RPM.

COMMENTS: This pump should NOT be used on an engine that is equipped with an air-bleed type of carb (For Example: some O.S. and Fox Engines). If you have an air-bleed type carb Perry MAY make a pump carb for your engine that would work with this pump. This pump may be used, without modification, with an engine equipped with a low-speed needle valve (like Super Tigre engines). Pump Has Three Fuel Fittings: One Tank To Pump Inlet One Crankcase To Pump Pressure Inlet One Pump To Carb Outlet 10-22-98kzh ir/jl

– If you need more information, use these Perry resources –

Web Site: http://www.conleyprecision.com/
Phone: 630-858-3160

Postal Address:
Perry
825 DUANE STREET
GLEN ELLYN, IL 60137
Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Crazy One,
I have a new in box OS61RF P I have decided to sell. I've decided to use my YS in my T2A MkII. These OS61RF P's seem to be one of the engines that are a perfect match for an Atlanta. If you are interested in this rear exhaust, pumped OS send me a PM.
Chris...
Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I read this thread and just had to comment. I had two Atlantas, one with the YS-61 and another with the OS-61. These were not pumped engines and used pressure from the tunes pipe to pressurize the tank. I am sometimes upset with the disinformation passed along in some of these threads from folks that have a high number of post confused with real experience.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
My Feedback: (26)

My Atlanta’s in the 80’s were powered with Rossi’s and I never had a problem with them either, you did have to keep a hemostat/clamp on the fuel line until you started the engines. This is something that was common back then. . . . .

The flooding problem will not be fixed with just a Perry Pump, the reason for a pump is to bring fuel to the motor but the Atlanta doesn’t have this problem, the issue is that it has constant fuel flowing to the motor because of the tank location.

Yes a YS-60/61 solves the problem because of the fuel pressurization system which varies the amount of fuel relative to the throttle opening and reduces the possibility of flooding and cuts off fuel at shutdown, so no flooding occurs. But don’t think that because you have a YS installed you can’t or won’t have other issues at start up. These motors have their own issues at times.

I’m building 2 new Atlanta’s, but even though I have a pair of brand new YS 60FR’s as backup I’ll be going the fuel regulator way (Cline/Iron bay/Webra) they accomplish the same objective as the YS fuel system “A on demand pressurized fuel system†How easy is to find a YS 60/61? And how about parts?

If we want to fly planes like this today we have to look at other options for the issues that were addressed back then, but aren’t available in abundance today. I’ll be using JETT 90LX’s with one of the regulators that I’ve mentioned for practice and flying , and throw in the YS’s if I make a BPA event and the rules dictate 10cc (60).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76045.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1316700  
Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Le Fou and pitstop000:

Will both you guys please post some pictures of your Atlanta's when you get them going!!

I'd really like to see the side exhaust instillation...

Thanks...

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

How easy is to find a YS 60/61? And how about parts?
The YS 60 & 61's are out there from time to time either in the RCU Marketplace or on "the bay"...Various conditions with some NIB...The NIB engines are commanding a little higher price than I would have imagined but not totally way out there...I'd say they are pretty much going for close to their original retail price in most cases...

Parts for the YS 60 are non existent unless you find them out there somewhere except for the diaphragm, plunger and regulator spring (The same as the YS 45's and are still available last time I checked)...Of course you can get bearings else ware but your gonna have to make your own gaskets as far as I know...

The YS 61 is/was in a little better shape as far as spare parts...The last time I checked you could pretty much get what you needed unless it's an "AR" engine...There aren't anymore AR parts available from the factory...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi, Would you please help me to find an Atlanta model? I will like to build it.
Thanks,
hmpilot
Old 03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
My Feedback: (43)

Does the Atlanta use the same header as the Aurora?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: JeffH

There are actually different Hatori part#'s for the Aurora and Atlanta headers:

I have a couple of the 755 headers which is the YS Cosmos/Aurora header and a 724 OS Atlanta header...Holding them up I have a tough time seeing how it would matter much...The rise appears to be the same and the Aurora might hook back a degree or two more but not very much...I'm going to articulate all my headers anyway so the slight difference won't even matter...

I say if you got one or the other you should be good to go...

My .02...

Chuck
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: JeffH

There are actually different Hatori part#'s for the Aurora and Atlanta headers:

I have a couple of the 755 headers which is the YS Cosmos/Aurora header and a 724 OS Atlanta header...Holding them up I have a tough time seeing how it would matter much...The rise appears to be the same and the Aurora might hook back a degree or two more but not very much...I'm going to articulate all my headers anyway so the slight difference won't even matter...

I say if you got one or the other you should be good to go...

My .02...

Chuck
Thanks, I have 2 of the 755s and one Macs header for the OS RF-P. I have not decided which motor to use. I have the hatori pipe to go along with which ever.