Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
 Conquest IV...seeking additional informatio >

Conquest IV...seeking additional informatio

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Conquest IV...seeking additional informatio

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conquest IV...seeking additional informatio

Conquest IV...seeking information?

The Conquest IV is nearing the "on deck" circle and I know basically nothing about the model, the designer, the when, the why, powered by, flown by...

I have acquired a Phillips built ARC...fantastic workmanship...(actually there is another just like it available,shhhhhhh) from a local modeler. I know that Mr. Hyde flew one around 1988 or 1989 because I saw him fly it in Phoenix. I owned/painted a Conquest 120 which I crashed due to "not enough CA in the CA hinges the night before I was to travel to the 1990 NATS (it may have been called something else) that was built by a California pro-builder. I pestered the heck out of Dave Patrick to help me get one of the first kits...it was the first to fly, fly well it did...and was the first to crash.

The photos show my Conquest 120 (yes, Crankpin and I love to show the same pictures again and again) and the Conquest IV kit.

Specific questions:

When was it designed/flown?
Was it built for a specific "pattern jockey" at the time?
What was it powered by?
I assume a tuned pipe and it was side mounted?
Any photos of the original color scheme?
Was the Conquest V developed quickly because the Conquest IV was "crappola"?
What was changed in the series...wing sweep, fuselage length, decalage...?
Anyone want the twin brother? (I know where it is.)

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95545.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	1324320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94353.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1324321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48995.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1324322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17964.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1324323  
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Conquest IV...seeking additional informatio

Rusty,

Great airplane. It is designed for a rear exhaust .60 with the exhaust coming out of the belly pan under the wing. Dave Patrick designed the plane. I believe the later versions had a longer fuse. I had one for a couple of years and had a lot of fun with it. It was already past its prime, but was still a great flying plane,

Arch
Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 PM
My Feedback: (4)

It was a very good plane. Was probaby the first pattern plane with a truely long tail moment. Yes, Chip flew one in '88 and at the '89 team trials.

I had a Phillips kit but never built it. Heres what I remember about it:

When was it designed/flown? Around 1987. I remember DP flying it at the '87 Tangerine
Was it built for a specific "pattern jockey" at the time? : It was Dave Patrick's own design.
What was it powered by? YS 60 rear exhaust
I assume a tuned pipe and it was side mounted? No. Inverted with pipe thru the belly pan.
Any photos of the original color scheme? Much the same as Patricks later models. Red, white, opange and yellow I think.
Was the Conquest V developed quickly because the Conquest IV was "crappola"? The Phillips kit was crappy. Rough glass work and fin was not molded in. RC City Conquest V was a better kit. It had more side area than the IV. The IV seemed to fly very well.
What was changed in the series...wing sweep, fuselage length, decalage...? Fuse depth is what I remember. Then size with the 120 which was never very popular.
Anyone want the twin brother? (I know where it is.)
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
My Feedback: (18)

I also have a Phillips Conquest IV on my list of things to do..I was trying to search for a couple of old threads I remember seeing while originally researching mine..It looks like Mr. McConville has pretty much answered all the questions (Thank You!! I was interested too)

I would agree that my Phillips fuse is a bit lacking in the workmanship department and is heavier than I think it could be...I attribute it a little to the era it was manufactured also...The understanding of composites as well as the materials have come a long way since the 80's in my opinion...It may be that R/C City was more "in tune" with the technology and built a lighter fuse...I've never actually seen one of RC City's fuses but understand them to be pretty nice with excellent workmanship...I still wanna build my kit cause I think it's a pretty neat looking airframe...My wings are probably water logged and it may wind up being a tank when I'm through but it will be OK...lol (My wing feels pretty heavy too)

I have an OS 61RF-P & Bolly pipe planned for the power plant...

I'm anxious to see your's go together Rusty and please post some photo's along the way!!

Have Fun...

Chuck

P.S. Mine doesn't have the adjustable stab..I wonder if that was an option?? Or the fellow I got mine from may have decided to just build a one piece?? Mine was already mounted when I got it...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rusty,

do you have the plans for it? Maybe, being an ARC of sorts, the plans didn't come with it?

I have the kit (not finished) and I just recently scanned the plans (see attached). As Arch and Mike say, it was designed for a RE 60 with pipe under the belly. You'll see this from the plans (which could use a little more contrast...)

BTW, please send me a PM with cost and location for the twin! I assume it is at the same ARC stage as yours?

David.

Oops, forgot the attachment. Here is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us54661.pdf (2.85 MB, 156 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Mike,

thanks for the insightful info.

Chuck,

I have the kit too so I'll eventually build it some day. In my case it will probably be a YS or perhaps my Hanno what with this being a large plane. I dare say that I have also considered electric power but the battery situation might be a little tedious. It would be somewhat similar to Jeff's Aurora in terms of removing a belly pan to access the fuse for battery swapping. The one thing that is nicer about Jeff's setup is that he has plugin wings in his Aurora so the fuse is immediately accessible once the pan is removed. In our case, it may be conceivable to access the tank area by lifting the pan and, although I haven't studied it, perhaps batteries can be swapped thorugh that opening with the gear extended.

I do intend to make it a trike - probably pneumatics.

What happened to your wings? If your wing is built, I could send you core templates for a new wing. Dan could no doubt cut you a nice set. Also, is your wing fully sheeted or is it built as per the plans with partial sheeting?

Rusty,

looking forward to your build too.

David.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Here's another IV (I believe it might actually have been Dan's although it is not a trike... mmm, maybe not his) and a VI.

Also, the kit I bought.

David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14878.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1324394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24689.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1324395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31477.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1324396  
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Details of/for/on the Conquest IV!

I am a moron. Of course it is a Dave patrick design. Of course it is set up for an inverted rear exhaust (YS, got a couple).

Doxilia- My understanding is that the original/former owner of the model/s purchased them from Mr. Phillips (Dave?) at a Toledo show. He purchased or ordered them to be ARC, sheeted, surfaces faced and sanded, retracts and aileron servo cut-outs. They are super "clean"...(there is an extra one...ssshhhhhh)

Regarding the plans or drawings, I would appreciate getting a copy, if possible.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Rusty,

as just mentioned in John's Arrow thread, I'd be interested in the pricing of the extra C-IV. Please send me a PM when you can with details.

I posted the plans in post #5 above. They're in PDF format. On second look though, it seems like you have them already - shown in picture 2 of your first post. Maybe your questions came before you had a chance to look at them... That sort of thing happens to me all the time.

So will the C-IV fall into position #5 of Dave's schedule? I look forward to that build (or finish as it were) in particular.

David.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I built a Conquest VI and a Conquest VII - still have the plans somewhere. I don't remember the C-V ever being kitted. Mike's information above is correct except for the nomenclature. The Conquest VI had more side (fuselage area) than any other Conquest variants. It was a modification of Dave Patrick's design done by Jim Graham (then owner of R/C City). I liked it a bit better than the Conquest VII as it was a bit easier to fly knife edge/point rolls - I had about 650 flights on mine before (regrettably) selling it.
The Phillips kit was a bit 'rough' [:'(], but flew very well. I built 4 of the Phillips Mistress kits - really loved them, but I had bad luck with every one of them [&o].
Was the Finesse a brand new design or just the final upgrade of the Conquest? Were Dave Patrick's prototype Conquests all wood?
As I recall, the basic Phillips kit (Mistress, Conquest IV, PaII) cost $150 for the basic kit. The deluxe, pre-sheeted version cost $350. Of course, this was 20 years ago...
-Will B.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Ok Rusty,
here's everything I could find about the Conquest:
The original Conquest (Conquest I) appeared in 1985. There is a photo of it on p.45 of the November 1985 issue of Model Aviation
Conquest II was flown at the '87 Nats and the '87 WC - photo on p.100 of the December 1987 issue of MA
Chip Hyde won the '88 Nats with a Phillips Conquest IV - Phillips announced the kit in the January 1988 issue of the K-Factor - the kit remained in production until Phillips went out of business ('93 or '94 perhaps - when the 120 4stroke took over pattern).
The Conquest V appeared at the '89 nats and was also flown to 11th place at the '89 WC. The Conquest V was a glass/foam version, but I can't determine who produced them. I'm guessing that somebody like Greg Marsden was responsible for the fuselage. There is a photo on p.112 of the December issue of MA.
The October 1991 issue of Model Aviation reports on the '91 team selection contest and has a photo of the Conquest 120 (p.21) plus indicates that Steve Rojecki and Don Weitz flew Conquest VI models to 10th and 11th place respectively.
The November 1991 issue of MA has a photo of a Conquest VI on p.43 (it is incorrectly referred to as a Conquest V - I flew with Bob in Cincinnati, plus the model is correctly identified as a Conquest VI on p.50 of the March 1993 issue of MA).
The Conquest VII is referred to on p 46 of the November 1991 issue of MA. Dave Patrick flew the prototype R/C City kit at the '91 nats and the '91 WC (placing 10th with a YS .61LS)
Kirk Gray flew a Conquest VI at the '93 nats to 5th place in Masters with a Hanno Special.
The Conquest VI kit first appeared in the April 1990 issue of the K-Factor where it was advertised as the Conquest Long Stroke. The ad was revised in June of '90 to the
Conquest VI.
The Conquest VII kit first appeared in the R/C City ad in the June 1992 issue of the K-factor.
I believe PAC (Precision AreoComposites owned by Mike and Maureen Dunphy) still have the molds for the Conquest VI and VII as well as many other pattern kits.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Now that's what I call excellent research!

Nicely done Will.

David.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Conquest IV...the answers!

Flywilly- Thank you for the information!

Does anyone have the FAI sequence from 1988?

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Rusty,

do you have the plans for it? Maybe, being an ARC of sorts, the plans didn't come with it?

I have the kit (not finished) and I just recently scanned the plans (see attached). As Arch and Mike say, it was designed for a RE 60 with pipe under the belly. You'll see this from the plans (which could use a little more contrast...)

BTW, please send me a PM with cost and location for the twin! I assume it is at the same ARC stage as yours?

David.

Oops, forgot the attachment. Here is.

I got one back in '99 or so from a guy that was mentoring me at the time, and I still have it, though it has not flown in years. I flew it in intermediate around that time, then dropped out.

To get it in the air would involve some pretty major restoration due to a couple of belly landings from dead sticks, and some "moving rash". I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight. I down loaded the plans and will attempt to trace them in CAD.

Regarding the plans or drawings, I would appreciate getting a copy, if possible.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
See above.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Hi Rusty,
I have all the FAI sequences from the inception of aresti style flying in a binder. I'll post it later
-Will
Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut
I got one back in '99 or so from a guy that was mentoring me at the time, and I still have it, though it has not flown in years. I flew it in intermediate around that time, then dropped out.

To get it in the air would involve some pretty major restoration due to a couple of belly landings from dead sticks, and some ''moving rash''. I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight. I down loaded the plans and will attempt to trace them in CAD.
Dave,

that's cool. Why did I never have a mentor...!? I guess roughin' it has it's (ever present) learning curve benefits.

What are you're thoughts regarding passing the plans to CAD? They definitely could stand a better quality presentation. My plans are barely readable. What isn't shown on the plans are the wing root and tip airfoils (I guess they could be extrapolated from the fuse side view). With new cores and an internally designed fuse, one could build one from wood! Is that what you're thinking?

BTW, there should be plenty of CAD work in the near future if you're still interested (small MK models...)

David.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Dave,

PM sent with info on the plan.

David.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I got it. It will take a couple of days to get a plan. I'll look at it. Right now I have a couple of projects, including a modern 1.8m (.110sized) pattern plane that will be on the front burner till at least mid January. I can give this a few minutes a day between the main project, and the "honeydoos".
Old 12-06-2009, 01:41 AM

Good stuff Dave.

Make sure you check your email for the last upload. I put a crude scale on the plan for reference in ACAD.

David.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM

1988 FAI sequence:
1) Take-off sequence
2) square loop with four 1/2 rolls - u
3) half reverse cuban eight - t
4) four point roll - d
5) immelman turn - t
6) reverse top hat - u