Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Construction of a new trailer. Thoughts and opinion's >

Construction of a new trailer. Thoughts and opinion's

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Construction of a new trailer. Thoughts and opinion's

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Construction of a new trailer. Thoughts and opinion's

Some of you may already know that I have already constructed a small 4X8 trailer. Although its nice and roomy for the 1.20 size planes and can carry up to 4 planes, I am finding that I need a bit more room, so my dad and I were talking about constructing a larger trailer.

The size we are talking about would be 8' wide out side to out side wheels and 10' to 12' in length. Frame would consist of 4" channel which we already have.

What I was wonder if anyone out there had any experience in constructing one with aluminum siding instead of wood. and what would be the best used for structure, angle iron or square tubing?
Where would I get the supply's at for the siding etc....?

Now I know that this is going to be a lot of trouble when I could just go down purchase one, and by pass all of the hassle of constructing one, but I was just trying to save a buck or two and that leads me to my next question, would I really be saving that much money.

As far as the frame goes we have the no how but we have only built one enclosed, and that was my small 4X8.

Here is the link to the 4X8 construction.

Trailer

Thanks Blackie
Old 08-18-2003, 09:10 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackie,
The key to the project is getting a deal on a used axle otherwise you might be better off buying it new. Also I think Aluminum has two disadvantages, heat and building out the interior. Unless your going to insulate and line the interior your going to have some bubbled Monocote.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:39 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blackie,

I have a trailer that was built somewhat like you are describing. It is covered with .040 aluminum. The trailer frame is steel with wood flooring - the walls were framed in wood - 1 5/8 x 1 1/4 - interior covered with 1/8 melamine - all in all a real custom job by my buddy who has been in the trailer business for 30 + years - the last 18 building concession trailers. I have helped him build a few - learned a bunch - could build one by myself - but on the cost effective side - I would probably buy one already built unless I considered my labor to be worth about $1.25 per hour. If you do go ahead and build your own, reconsider the widht - 8 foot is pretty wide - 6 foot is more standard.

Dan