Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

An observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An observation

Does anyone besides me find it odd that Ultracote, an item primarily aimed at the builder, is marketed by Horizon/Hanger 9.....a company that only sells ARFs?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:16 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An observation

Horizon Hobby sells kits. Not very many, but there are a few.

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=LAN99238

Eric
Old 08-22-2003, 03:18 AM

Default An observation

If you decided to form your own company that built ARFs, what materials would you use? Those that were reliable and ready at hand, or does owning your own company require you to use something that does not cause conflicts within your customer's mind?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM
J_R

Default An observation

Ultra-cote is sold as Orcover (sp?) in the rest of the world. It is the only product that is in the same class, worldwide, with Monokote.

Goldberg was the distributor for Ultra-cote in the US and it was their cash cow. When they sold the rights to Horizon it was the beginning of the end for Goldberg. Goldberg, of course, has since been picked up by Lanier.

Why not sell a product that produces a profit? Horizon certainly did not want to see Ultra-cote go to Hobbico.

If the truth be known, most ARF's are covered with Orcover. If you have a roll of Ultracote, look at it, it has the name Orcover on it. I believe it is actually produced in Europe.

JR
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default An observation

As JR states, it is not a bad product. They were smart to pick it up. There is a ton of that stuff sold. Any company would have jumped at the chance to pick up the line.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:13 PM

Default An observation

I wouldn't be the slightest bit supprised that Oracover is 2 to 1 over Monokote worldwide.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default An observation

Originally posted by Cdallas2
I wouldn't be the slightest bit supprised that Oracover is 2 to 1 over Monokote worldwide.
I would! I have been using monokote for over 27 years. Used ultracote on one plane in that time. Monokote is huge compared to it in sales I bet. Wish there was a way to know for sure.