Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:26 AM

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I use nitrile gloves when I work with thin CA - it wicks so well, it's too easy to get stuck. I also true up my sheeting with a heavy straightedge and a fresh blade before I fit it up. Some sheets won't lay flat no matter what, and get used elsewhere. Force-fitting has given me ripples, twists, and general misery.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 AM

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
I use nitrile gloves when I work with thin CA - it wicks so well, it's too easy to get stuck. I also true up my sheeting with a heavy straightedge and a fresh blade before I fit it up. Some sheets won't lay flat no matter what, and get used elsewhere. Force-fitting has given me ripples, twists, and general misery.
I don't want to sound like a know it all.. BUT as you know force fitting is a no no! for the very reasons you mention it puts stress's into the structure that will come back and cause havoc. it is best to fit the parts together then wick thin CA into the joint being careful not to overly wet the joint which hardens the wood and can cause sanding problems.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by donnyman
I don't want to sound like a know it all.. BUT as you know force fitting is a no no! for the very reasons you mention it puts stress's into the structure that will come back and cause havoc. it is best to fit the parts together then wick thin CA into the joint being careful not to overly wet the joint which hardens the wood and can cause sanding problems.
Yep - stores energy like a spring! I've known some guys who recommended using Monocote to correct twisted wing panels (Twist opposite and shrink the covering to hold it straight by tension). Works great, as long as you keep it in a climate-controlled environment. Actually take it out and fly it, and the warp will win the battle.

I've fought the sheeting battles many times. I learned a lot from a master builder, who built beautiful models that flew straight, were lightweight, and were far stronger than average. He always ordered sheeting in bulk, then carefully examined each piece and discarded those that were not perfect. If it had a very small amount of runout on the edge (1/16th" or less, he'd trim it with a big straightedge and a single-edge razor blade. Then he'd set it aside in his "Trimmed" section. When he went to use it later, he's check it again. If it had held true, he's use it. If not, he was done with it - he didn't waste any more time on it. Seems to me that be discarded ~20% of the bulk sheeting he bought.

When I was doing a lot of building, I had a 2'x4' 1/2" thigk glass tabletop that I'd picked up cheap. I'd cover it with waxed paper, and use it for joining sheeting. I would lay the sheets edge to edge, wick thin CA, let it set a minute, then go over it with a Tbar sander. Trim as needed, and tape to the structure with a little blue painters tape.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

David

Is there any UFO/UAP activity in your neck of the woods? if so how has the government reacted?
None that I'm aware of.

Incidentally, why do all of these aliens prefer to land in the USA?
Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 PM

Thank you for your comments gentlemen.

Firstly, I had no problems with 1/32" (0.8mm) sheet on the fuselage of my first Big Guff. This was because I had bought the wood from SLEC in the UK. SLEC offer balsa in three grades, soft, medium and hard as well as quarter grain for wing ribs. They only cut their 1/32" balsa from hard stock consequently it didn't ripple when I cladded the fuselage of the first Big Guff with it. When I tried to order balsa wood from them in January they had temporarily stopped sending goods to the EU because of problems with Brexit. Parcels were being sent back because the paperwork was not in order but that problem has now been resolved.

Not being able to order 1/32" wood from SLEC I ordered 1mm sheet from a French supplier. This was of a softer grade and was less accurately cut along the edges. I should have cut a gnat's eyelash off each edge with a straight edge to ensure a better fit!

I have been able to cyano the ripples flat at the front of the fuselage where the 1mm wood is backed by 1/16" wood with it's grain running vertically. The main problem is with the sheeting after the trailing edge. As you may see in the picture in Post 64, the uprights are well-spaced out and the sheet is unsupported for a considerable length hence the ripples. I'm hoping that the Solartex covering will flatten any remaining irregularities! However, the underlying fuselage structure is so rigid that I do not anticipate any warps.

The next stage is to fuel proof the firewall and tank bay, fit the tail mount and build the door!
Old 05-24-2021, 04:21 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Sorry for not responding sooner Donny but I have been out of pocket. On the UFO question I have always suspected some sort of secret military craft or something the military doesn't understand and the fear of the unknown has taken over. Above all it was one subject I really didn't care much about one way or other, I didn't see it as a concern.

David, on the subject of the Guff it is coming out great however, I think it would look better in pink with a matching engine.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Thank you for your comments gentlemen.

Firstly, I had no problems with 1/32" (0.8mm) sheet on the fuselage of my first Big Guff. This was because I had bought the wood from SLEC in the UK. SLEC offer balsa in three grades, soft, medium and hard as well as quarter grain for wing ribs. They only cut their 1/32" balsa from hard stock consequently it didn't ripple when I cladded the fuselage of the first Big Guff with it. When I tried to order balsa wood from them in January they had temporarily stopped sending goods to the EU because of problems with Brexit. Parcels were being sent back because the paperwork was not in order but that problem has now been resolved.

Not being able to order 1/32" wood from SLEC I ordered 1mm sheet from a French supplier. This was of a softer grade and was less accurately cut along the edges. I should have cut a gnat's eyelash off each edge with a straight edge to ensure a better fit!

I have been able to cyano the ripples flat at the front of the fuselage where the 1mm wood is backed by 1/16" wood with it's grain running vertically. The main problem is with the sheeting after the trailing edge. As you may see in the picture in Post 64, the uprights are well-spaced out and the sheet is unsupported for a considerable length hence the ripples. I'm hoping that the Solartex covering will flatten any remaining irregularities! However, the underlying fuselage structure is so rigid that I do not anticipate any warps.

The next stage is to fuel proof the firewall and tank bay, fit the tail mount and build the door!
Bet it flies just fine!
Old 05-24-2021, 06:38 AM

This time instead of Solartex maybe you should cover it in asbestos cloth?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:19 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ouch
Old 05-24-2021, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone happen to have a copy of the 1985 RC Buyer's Guide? If so can I get some pics or scans? I figure this is THE thread to ask this question in.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM

DAVID

you said the UFO/UAP situation isn't prevalent were you are, which makes me think these things are some sort of hoax. I have been more thoughtful of ufo's and such since Elon Musk is doing so much here.

The real estate business is booming to the point of being ridiculous. houses are selling sometimes as much as $100,000 over asking price and still does not assure you a buy. I know of at least six large apartment complexes under construction and less than half a mile away from me 400 houses are under construction and a highway is being put in so it can be reached. traffic lights have been upgraded (for the second time) to handle the traffic flow The prices of everything is increasing every day , lumber has tripled in price, that is if you can find it. something has got to give!
Old 05-25-2021, 07:37 PM

I know what you mean about the lumber. 3 weeks ago I went to buy a little pressure treated lumber to fix a lattice fence. I bought 1 - 4" x 4" x 8 ft post, 12 - 1" x 2" x 8 ft, and 5 - 2" x 4"x 8 ft. All total it was over $100!
Old 05-25-2021, 09:04 PM

Donny have you heard of Rockefeller's definition of a rich man?

" A rich man is someone who buys when everybody else is selling and sells when everybody else is buying."

I'd sell if I were you especially if you want to move. My own house is going to be valued again on Friday and yes I remain to be convinced that aliens have landed. Russia, Canada and Brazil are all bigger countries than the USA so if the landings were random, they'd probably land there but you never hear of such landings occurring in those countries. Mind you, if one did land in any of those three countries, their governments would be sure to suppress the news. The aliens always seem to land in the most remote locations within the USA. Have you noticed? They never land in Central Park where thousands of people could see them!

Old 05-26-2021, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I know what you mean about the lumber. 3 weeks ago I went to buy a little pressure treated lumber to fix a lattice fence. I bought 1 - 4" x 4" x 8 ft post, 12 - 1" x 2" x 8 ft, and 5 - 2" x 4"x 8 ft. All total it was over $100!
Oh yes! my 10x12 deck is made of pressure treated lumber which cost over $1100
Old 05-26-2021, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Donny have you heard of Rockefeller's definition of a rich man?

" A rich man is someone who buys when everybody else is selling and sells when everybody else is buying."

I'd sell if I were you especially if you want to move. My own house is going to be valued again on Friday and yes I remain to be convinced that aliens have landed. Russia, Canada and Brazil are all bigger countries than the USA so if the landings were random, they'd probably land there but you never hear of such landings occurring in those countries. Mind you, if one did land in any of those three countries, their governments would be sure to suppress the news. The aliens always seem to land in the most remote locations within the USA. Have you noticed? They never land in Central Park where thousands of people could see them!
Rich Man? I know maybe one. I would sell but have no place to move to, and the price of another home could be draconian. we have been looking.
If we had another home we would be gone from here, very soon it will be overrun with houses, cars and people. we have become accustomed
to a bit of isolation. the noise levels here has become unbearable.

I have not heard of any alien landings, just aerial sightings, which to my knowledge have occurred all over the world. and if one landed in central park after dark they would most likely be mugged.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 04:24 AM

Oh yes! my 10x12 deck is made of pressure treated lumber which cost over $1100
I was comparing 5/4 X 8ft pressure treated and it was the same price as Trex in the same size!
Old 05-26-2021, 04:42 AM

Several repairs to this home have not been made due to lumber prices and the fact we intend to sell. something real odd is happening, everything is in a upheaval. greed is one thing but what is going on now is weird. at this rate many more will be living in tents alongside the road which has already overwhelmed Austin TX. many of the people in tents have jobs but can't afford housing.....................crazy!

Speaking of lumber, I have piles of used lumber 2x6's and up all 8FT or longer "VERY CHEAP" This is some of it. Take it all for free!

Last edited by donnyman; 05-26-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:33 AM

We are at the beginning of a Hyper Inflation period. Right now I could make at least a $10,000 profit selling my 2 trucks, but then I would have to replace them. I could probably sell my house right now for a decent price even though it needs $70K of work, if not more. But then, what do I replace it with?

I have been land shopping up in Wisconsin, near where I work, and found a 5 acre parcel with abandoned buildings on it. Would be perfect for me as it is improved land with water, sewer, and electric already in place, even if it is well and septic. It listed for $62,500 but was pending. On the market 3 freaking days. It was in an ideal location, 54 minutes from where my wife works, 10 from mine, but most importantly, out of Illinois. The land was situated in such a way that I could put an airstrip in and fly without going over any houses too. Someone got a steal on that one.

Further north I found a few parcels ranging from 3.4 to 5 acres, but unimproved land, and clustered around other houses, so not as ideal as I would like, and the prices are $10K an acre. One I spotted seemed like it would make for a good location to fly from, then looked on google maps and found high tension lines run right at the edge of the properties, right where I was looking to put a strip. So I continue to look. End goal is to find something close to my work, or at least 50/50 between both our jobs, that is out in the country a bit, with clear land so that I can set up a strip to fly from without having to worry about neighbors houses, ideally with existing water and electric so I can set up our 5th wheel on occasion until we can get a manufactured home set up. We want to stay West of the I 39 corridor in Wisconsin and south of Madison.

My thinking at this point is to build a structure that can house the 5th wheel and have living space, but not year round living since when retirement comes, we want to roam the country for a few years and have a home base for the summer. That is about 9 years from now, and things may change down the road too.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:50 AM

I know the housing prices are jumping around here. A house of the block sold for 25% more than it would have 6 months ago.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 AM

acdii
you mentioned "I could put an airstrip in and fly without going over any houses" During my search for a new homestead I found about 40 acres with a full airport and house for the "meager price" of 1.5million it turned out to belong to a long time associate that passed away. it was about 20 miles from my current location, If I were younger I would take a shot at it as it is a first class set up.

Not more than a month after moving in at this location we were offered 10,000 per acre and could have cleared 8,000 an acre. that was over 40 years ago, my neighbor sold his 24 acres that is now planned for a business park on the other side of my south fence, they are asking 150,000 to 350,000 an acre. I think some has been purchased. whooda thunkit?
Old 05-26-2021, 11:00 AM

Up the road from me, ~ a mile, is a 70 acre estate that has been on the market for as long as I can remember. I has listed from between 1.5 and 3 million. Someone learned the lesson never out build the area. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...91334307_zpid/

Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM

I would hate to be paying the property taxes and up keep on that shack!
Old 05-26-2021, 11:43 AM

No kidding.

I checked my house information. It hasn't been updated in 20 years since we bought it. I lists 3 beds 3 baths, yet we have 6 beds and 4 baths, and a 4 car garage. When I bought shingles for the house, it was 6000 square feet with a 4/12 pitch. Something tells me the square footage is off as well. Not going to do anything to change that information, if County got that info, they would reassess and raise the taxes even more, $8000 a year is enough already!

Now If I were to get the house repaired, paint the barn and a few other things, I would not be surprised if I could list it for $380K and find a buyer.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM

My house suffers the same problem if I ever decide to sell, not likely to happen, I'll get it updated. The wife and I are on the "Let them carry me out feet first" plan.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 PM

acdii

If your house was in this area you would have sold it the day before yesterday but for $.5mil+ most listings are old after three days .............. your taxes holey moley! way above mine, way above.
The estate you showed hasn't sold for a lot of reasons

Flyer

we would rather stay here but the area has gotten beyond our tolerance level.

Last edited by donnyman; 05-26-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.