Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh, and speaking of a .049 bird, why go so large, when you can go smaller?

20 inch (508 mm) Ace R/C Littlest Stick with .020 Cox Pee Wee.
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (05-27-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Unfortunately while practising for La Coupe's Pylon Race, a forward glue joint failed forcing the wing upwards and ripping out the glue joint where the nylon bolts hold the trailing edge to the fuselage. The wing fluttered down with the wind and the fuselage described a perfect parabola to land 100 metres away from the wing in another wheat field! The model was four years old, a veteran of the 2018 Coupe Des Barons and it had had lots of flights. I will be going back to England for a week on Friday to visit my sister who has pancreatic cancer. It's her birthday on 2nd June so I will not be entering La Coupe Des Baron with the Ukrainian model this year. There isn't the time to repair it.

Fortunately my Reserve Baron, piloted by Pilot Officer Bertie Bear RNAS, is seviceable. It's not as easy to fly as the No. 1 Baron because I've reduced the dihedral but I won the four-stroke class with it last year so should be able to do so again!

Pilot Officer Edward Albert Bear RNAS.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't know, I think you just wanted an excuse to build a new Baron.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:30 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That will buff out. I've seen worse damage putting it in the trailer.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:40 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Here I go again! It was not my intent to belittle, criticize or accuse, I look at things from the perspective of I worked for what I have and so I intend to extract was much from it as possible. and I am too old to be concerned about the cost, it detracts from the enjoyment (sometime). If I can stretch my bucks to get what I WANT I will probably go for it. and if it gets smashed... no sense crying over spilled milk. (though I probably will)

I have many 049's and such but on occasion I also use the big stuff it just takes me longer to get it. Smaller, larger, it's all the same to me there is nothing wrong with a KIA but I WANT a LINCOLN! (this time) but I currently drive a 97 Dodge I bought used. David built the big guff when he could have built a mambo or the smaller guff.

No negatives intended.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

Amen!
Old 05-25-2022, 05:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
Here I go again! It was not my intent to belittle, criticize or accuse, I look at things from the perspective of I worked for what I have and so I intend to extract was much from it as possible. and I am too old to be concerned about the cost, it detracts from the enjoyment (sometime). If I can stretch my bucks to get what I WANT I will probably go for it. and if it gets smashed... no sense crying over spilled milk. (though I probably will)

I have many 049's and such but on occasion I also use the big stuff it just takes me longer to get it. Smaller, larger, it's all the same to me there is nothing wrong with a KIA but I WANT a LINCOLN! (this time) but I currently drive a 97 Dodge I bought used. David built the big guff when he could have built a mambo or the smaller guff.

No negatives intended.
Hello, Donny, where is all this coming from? I only stated my preferences to building and flying smaller stuff, and from my perspective these are the reasons why I do, so what?

I was not offended nor was I attempting to offend anyone with what I said. Again, it is my opinion and my reason for doing what I do. If I cannot simply share my opinion on this forum, because I happen to love the lower end of the spectrum instead of the higher end, then what is that?

Am I required to agree with every opinion expressed? And, I am less of a forum member if I do not?

My posting of 1/4-A RC aircraft doesn't belong in this thread, and only the big stuff is acceptable?

I think you are taking things way too personally, in a forum thread that involves many different people with different perspectives. Can't we just get along?
David John Davis (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:41 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

"... David built the big guff when he could have built a mambo or the smaller guff..."

Indeed I did Donny.but it didn't cost me $18,000!

I built it because when I started out in radio controlled flight in 1988, I was inspired by Peter Russell's book, "Vintage Model Aeroplanes" in which he praised the Big Guff's qualities, picture of his Big Guff below. I didn't start out with a Big Guff but with something smaller and more affordable. In retirement and living in a part of France where houses may be obtained for less than $50,000, I found myself in in a position to be able to afford a short-kit of the Big Guff in August 2018. Currently the short-kit costs $196 but I don't think I paid that much for it..

A second reason for choosing the Big Guff is that I like big lightly loaded models. My smallest model has a wingspan of 1.5 metres (5 feet) and the BE2, the Senior Telemaster, and the Mystic all have wingspans in excess of six feet.

Finally, I like building but I'm not so skillful as to be able to produce a museum-standard scale aircraft or even a complicated model aircraft for that matter, so simple models appeal to me. Neither am I a particularly skillful pilot. I have only one model with a retractable undercarriage for example, a Brian Taylor North American AT6, but I've never flown it because I'm scared of ripping out the undercarriage on one of my "arrivals." Lasers, Sukhois, Extras, Edges and their ilk leave me cold for some reason though they are said to be delightful to fly. I won 3.70€ on the Euromillions Lottery on 6th May. Had I won 3,700,000€, I would not have rushed out and bought a big ARTF aerobatic model and fitted a Chinese two-stroke, mind you, I would probably have bought a big electric powered foamy Spitfire but they're less than $500!

We all have our own preferences and mine have been listed above. If Donny wants to buy or build a big expensive model he certainly has the skills and the funds to be able to do so, so that's his business but however much money I may have, big expensive models hold no appeal for me, ARTFs especially.

Must take the dog for her walk then I have a busy day's gardening and packing ahead prior to leaving for England tomorrow.

Peter Russell's Big Guff, probably the first Big Guff to fly in England. Photographed in the early Nineties.
GallopingGhostler (05-25-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 04:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

My sweet spot for airplanes is a 68" to 84" wingspan. I will occasional go smaller like an old Ace R/C Simple Series (36" span foam wing) or a built version of a Ken Willard Sunday Fighter (also 36").
Old 05-26-2022, 05:13 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I build what I can see in flight. The something Xtra is the smallest I can see to fly.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:25 AM
donnyman

Well it is time for me to shut up. No matter what I have said my intent is misunderstood. The money spent means nothing, I was speaking to the mental attitude of the owner in respect to his loss. a busted bird can hurt inside be it Big, small, or what have you.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, sounded boastful or what have you.............. please accept my humble apology.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
I build what I can see in flight. The something Xtra is the smallest I can see to fly.
Originally Posted by donnyman
Well it is time for me to shut up. No matter what I have said my intent is misunderstood. The money spent means nothing, I was speaking to the mental attitude of the owner in respect to his loss. a busted bird can hurt inside be it Big, small, or what have you.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, sounded boastful or what have you.............. please accept my humble apology.
I think eyesight is a big factor for a lot of us in this group with what we fly. My cataract surgery made a big difference in my eyesight but its still not perfect. I envy you guys who never wore glasses. For much of my life I was legally blind without glasses.

Donny, I think this misunderstanding between you two is more of a case the written word is a poor substitute for speaking face to face. Its easy for both parties to misunderstand because the inflections of the spoken word and the body language is missing. Ever talk trash with a buddy? You wouldn't think of putting that stuff in writing because they might not understand. Chefs will tell you that you first eat with the eyes then with the mouth. What looks good will most likely taste better. We also communicate first with the eyes then the ears. Its like the big bad burly biker type is scary until you see him loving on a tiny puppy or kitten. Isn't this the underlining cause of most of the disagreements on this and other forums these days? I have communicated for a long time with both of you and I truly believe what we have here is a temporary misunderstanding.
GallopingGhostler (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 08:39 AM
David John Davis

Donny, if any of your comments are directed at me, from my perspective, no criticism of you or your preferences was intended or implied.

For me a "busted bird" does nor hurt inside, it's just a minor annoyance. The wing of my No. 1 Baron parted company with the fuselage in flight yesterday but I built it so I can repair it or if I chose to, give it away or use it to light the wood burner. Compared to life's other losses, it's not important. Agreed it did not cost me $18,000 but I'll never spend that much money on a model aeroplane. For those that have the funds, interest and skills, good luck to them.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:37 PM
FlyerInOKC

David, you triggered the memory of how I got back into R/C back in 2004. At the time I was considering building an ultralight airplane. I bought plans and was starting to estimate what the cost would be. My wife, a former licensed pilot, suggested I think about going back into R/C instead and our youngest sone wanted to help with the flying. What sealed the deal was when I looked at how many R/C planes I could build for the amount the ultralight would cost. I have been building regularly ever since. The bonus is my health issues won't stop me flying like it would with the ultralight!
Old 05-27-2022, 09:55 PM
David John Davis

Gentlemen, it looks as if the organisers of La Coupe Des Barons have taken up my suggestion of running all of the four-strokes in the same group. If everybody shows up there will be eleven four-strokes in the air at the same time, at least at first!
Flicker (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...The price of things.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
David, you triggered the memory of how I got back into R/C back in 2004. At the time I was considering building an ultralight airplane. I bought plans and was starting to estimate what the cost would be. My wife, a former licensed pilot, suggested I think about going back into R/C instead and our youngest sone wanted to help with the flying. What sealed the deal was when I looked at how many R/C planes I could build for the amount the ultralight would cost. I have been building regularly ever since. The bonus is my health issues won't stop me flying like it would with the ultralight!
Hi all,
I haven't posted in a while...
Flyer, I was nuts about ultralights back in the early '80s. Well beyond my means though. Earned my A&P license in '82.

Roughly 2010 I considered buying an Aeronca Chief that was nearly perfect. It sold for less than my first new car (2014 Dodge ~ $21k)
I'd guess that the new dope and fabric job that it had cost $10k+ (probably more; labor intensive) at the time.

Shame that "general aviation" is so expensive.

I'll stick with models of all types - free flight, c/l, r/c. It's all good.
Bob

Last edited by Flicker; 05-27-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:41 AM
Bandit59
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Started in 1972

My radio control venture starter back in 1972. My radio was a World Engines Blue Max 6 and my first plane was a Pilot Box Fly 40. Looking back at this, this may of been the start of the ARF era. It had plastic covered Mylar foam wings with wood ailerons. All you had to do is epoxy the wings together and install a hard plastic center section in the middle of the wing top and bottom. I couldn't afford a R/C 40 size engine, so I learned about a Perry carburetor and something called JB Weld. I used the Perry carb. from a McCoy 40 that was donated to me by my mentor Richard and glued the carburetor to my fox 36 control line engine. Had to pull out the needle valve assembly and the throat insert and cleaned everything with acetone and glued in the Perry carb. in with the JB weld. 24 hours later I had a R/C engine. The propeller was very close to the carburetor, but besides that it ran super. I mounted it in the front of my Box Fly 40 and finished my plane with some guidance from Richard. The test flight went super in August of 1972 over the asphalt of Anaheim Stadium. I flew that plane for two years until it met the ground. I got disoriented and the ground came up to quickly for me to recover. My next plane was a Lanier Transit which I added ailerons too....Have been flying every since. I would post pictures, but my X-WIFE took my picture book with all my airplane pictures dating back to when I started flying control line with my uncle when I was about 8. Anyone remember the Blue and Yellow Cox PT-19?

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by Bandit59:
David John Davis (06-01-2022), GallopingGhostler (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 04:08 AM
donnyman

BANDIT59

Welcome ............ your story is familiar except for the glue in carb. That is new to me. When you have the opportunity read thru this thread you will see many of us did all sorts of things to get in the air. and yes I remember the old pt 19 mine and several friends birds, none lasted very long.

In 1972 I was just getting hooked up with the local club here in Austin TX. and the glue together plastic covered kits? were the start of the ARF's There are pieces of them all over the place here I remember the Lanier co. sold them. I didn't fly them because I couldn't afford the cost and became a scratch builder/rebuilder.

Enjoy the site! ....................... Donnyman
Old 06-01-2022, 04:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

I didn't get started in R/C until 1973. I built an obsolete 2 stick 3 channel Heathkit radio system with 3 KPS-9 style servos for a High School Electronics class. I got an "A" for it too! Another student built the newer single stick 3 channel with KPS-10 servos. He had more money than I did. The first R/C airplane was a Carl Goldberg Cessna 182 .19 to .25 size with an OS Max .20 FP. I had started in C/L and I wouldn't have looked at an ARF due to the expense. I started building while saving up for the covering materials, I think I used Sikspan and white dope.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:38 AM
David John Davis

I am currently in England visiting my sister who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October last year. It's her birthday tomorrow but it coincides with her starting a new course of chemotherapy so we celebrated her birthday last Saturday evening with a meal at a very smart country pub. She's doing very well but she does not have much of an appetite these days. It'll be tea in the garden tomorrow afternoon.

I remember the days of trying to fit carburetters to fixed venturi engines, through being too poor to buy a new engine or even a good second hand engine. In my case it was a Fox 36X fitted with an OS carb. I don't think that it was a success. I may have run it on the test bench but I never fitted it to a model. I managed to acquire a Merco 35 which I wore out in a Telemaster 66 but I passed my A Certificate with that combination, the equivalent of passing your driving test! I sold the Fox on a well-known internet auction site and got quite a good price for it. It was also my first glow engine; I bought it when I was fourteen years old. I'm seventy-four now!

Talking of glow engines, I bought the most recent copy of the most popular model aeroplane magazine in England, "Radio Controlled Models and Electronics" or RCM&E for short. There is an article about a large ARTF Piper Pawnee, a build article on a Waco YKS with a free plan, another article about the Dancing Wings Mini Stick, there are other articles on the British F3A team, a vintage rubber powered model converted to r/c and three or four other columns on gliders, scale model building and an indoor event. But guess what? None of the models are powered by glow engines! Someone said I was old a few posts ago. Now I know it!

I've just picked up a Laser 100 for a club colleague.

Last edited by David John Davis; 06-01-2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

I got my start in R/C in 1973. In Fall 1972, I bought a single channel pulse proportional radio, an Ace R/C Pulse Commander on 26.995 MHz (Brown citizens band) with Adams Baby Twin Actuator. It came with a rechargeable 2.4V NiCad battery pack, think it was around 250 mAh. I bought a .020 Cox Pee Wee and props from the Navy Exchange, and a 27" wingspan Top Flite R/C Schoolmaster. Including building and finishing supplies, I paid less than $100 for it all. This is for someone who was on the then meager salary of an E-2 private.

I assembled and finished the plane in the barracks. Plane was small enough to fit in my storage hutch above the built in wall locker where I kept my clothing and military uniforms. I bought a quart can of reasonably high nitro fuel from the Navy Exchange, plus starter clip with wires. The transmitter used a 9V dry battery about the size of 6 packs of cigarettes stacked together. Battery would last a season or two. I finished the plane with several coats of brushed clear dope, masking and trimming in orange.

Late Winter, I followed the directions with the Ace manual. Initially I crashed many times, but the Naval Amphibious Base open field had tall grass. The lightweight and sturdy Schoolboy held up well, allowing me to learn how to fly single channel R/C. I got to where I could land the plane within 10 feet of me, when fuel ran out and dead stick glided it, could even make it flair for landing by kick a touch of rudder when about 10 feet up causing the nose to drop and pick up speed. Also learned how to trim to fly in wind, by shimming the back side of the wing to decrease decalage. In 15 mph winds, it needed about 1/8" shim, in half that, 1/16".

When I shipped out at the end of school, the Schoolboy sufficiently crash damaged gave way to a fun-to-fly Ken Willard 20" Roaring 20 single channel R/C. It would do all the rudder only stunts, plus flew a bit faster than the Schoolboy. It fit my footlocker along with the compact R/C gear. Next stop from Virginia Beach was Hawaii.

Although I fly larger stuff now, this is why I also love the small stuff. I learned I could still have fun on a limited budget to work with. This is why I continued flying larger half-A's in college, because I was budget strapped again.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Your story reminds me of Dr. Michael Hawkins and his suitcase scale designs. I have several of his plans I need to rebuild he Dornier D.1 one of these days.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:42 AM
donnyman

Default over the years

David ......... please extend my prayers and good wishes and happy birthday to your sister, mine is the 25th I still have six more weeks of therapy to do myself.

speaking to the past had me thinking of getting to this point in my life with modeling, it struck me sharply that I have been building my mustang for over thirty years on and off, and the number of craft I have build during this time. all types and sizes without going broke in the process because I followed the Freddie frugal route and purchased much from swap meets or built from scraps even cutting my own lumber from blocks, I truly enjoy scratch building and it seems to have payed big dividends. the results ................ (not in order) On occasion I have to stop and gather myself and realize how blessed I am. I never dreamed to be able to do what I've done, yet here it is. Now I don't know what I am to do with all this stuff. I feel it is not what I have done but how I did it.

I built this for someone else and now it's mine, this thing is huge.

Telemaster Sales UK (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

You do excellent work Donny!
Telemaster Sales UK (06-03-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 11:34 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gentlemen, I started in RC at the early age of 14 years old in 1977! Some years before I ventured into this great hobby I saw a man fly a Sig Citabria at a 4-H summer camp that I attended a few years before. I started working at a local restaurant and came out to dump trash one night and saw that my boss had a Citabria just like the one I had seen before in the back of his station wagon parked behind the business. He invited invite me to come watch him fly his airplane at the local airport outside a small town in SE Kansas. I bought a Pilot 1/2 A plastic ARF airplane from Hobby Shack and powered it with a Cox bBack Widow .049. I guided this beauty with a Hobby Shack Aerosport two channel radio control on board. The black widow was not powerful enough to fly this aircraft so I switched out to a TD .051 and wow that was night and day there. 1/2 A rc aircraft are terrible to learn to fly on so the following year I built a Sig Kadet and powered it with an OS 25 FSR. It was a blast to learn to fly the proper way.
I have a brand new Kadet in the box ready to be built in the near future. I am currently working on an Andrews A-ray and I have a long way to go with this airplane. I also have several other airplanes under construction at this time. Even though I about 10 years younger than the norm here. I considered my self to be a old schooler as I turn 60 in August. I am one of three people who still fly glow powered to me there is nothing better for me.
take care
Michael Johnston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.