Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

The beauty of Opera is they don't record every place you go and sell the information, unlike Google, Firefox, and MS Edge!
Old 02-26-2024, 09:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, there'll be a larnin curve. But my bookmarks are over as well as my password vault.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:28 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Meridian Electric

Experimenting with a home made head cam yesterday at the club field.

The following users liked this post:
bisco (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That’s a beauty, great job with the head cam
Old 02-27-2024, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bisco
That’s a beauty, great job with the head cam
Many thanks for your kind comments and much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:33 AM

I mean, where did you get the head? Does the family know? How did you get the wires in there I imagine it would be, icky. Really this line of questioning would be High larious around Halloween.
I wonder if anyone has done this with those new apple glasses. Seems you could watch, zoom and all while looking. Good job though. Really will work well with close in flying like the smaller electrics or 3D. Places where our natural ability to zoom doesn't affect the head cams lack of doing so.
Also, North Ireland is green and I'm gonna hit single digits tonight in the middle of America. No fair.
Show us a picture of your head gear. I was thinking of doing the same with the things I'm flying in my front yard but once again, this Hero5 i've have for years is a pain to get connected to my phone and to use. Reminds me of sending text messages on a flip phone. My daughter could send books with 9 keys. My texts, well they look like they do today, on speech to txt.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Clean
I mean, where did you get the head? Does the family know? How did you get the wires in there I imagine it would be, icky. Really this line of questioning would be High larious around Halloween.
I wonder if anyone has done this with those new apple glasses. Seems you could watch, zoom and all while looking. Good job though. Really will work well with close in flying like the smaller electrics or 3D. Places where our natural ability to zoom doesn't affect the head cams lack of doing so.
Also, North Ireland is green and I'm gonna hit single digits tonight in the middle of America. No fair.
Show us a picture of your head gear. I was thinking of doing the same with the things I'm flying in my front yard but once again, this Hero5 i've have for years is a pain to get connected to my phone and to use. Reminds me of sending text messages on a flip phone. My daughter could send books with 9 keys. My texts, well they look like they do today, on speech to txt.
You will laugh when I tell you that the only thing holding the camera to the top of my head is the leather strap of my trousers 😂. True. Its an old heavy camcorder and I normally have a cameraman to operate it . But unfortunately when hes unavailable the homemade head cam is the next best thing 😂. I don't use it too often as the secret is not to fly too far away for obviously I can't use the zoom. But overall I'm happy enough with the outcome. Sometimes we have to improvise in life to obtain a result. Yes, I'm from the North of Ireland and its very green here. That's all down to the heavy amount of rainfall we get during each year. The Summers in recent years have definitely got hotter and us Irish are not used to such heat. But we have no choice in the matter lol. Thanks for your reply.
Clean (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 05:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Gotta love Nebraska. 81 degrees (F) yesterday (new record high for the date), supposed to hit 14 tonight. And right now there's a dusting of snow on the windshield of my car. We'll be back in the 70's by the weekend.
Stop the roller-coaster, mommy! I want to get off!
Old 02-27-2024, 05:21 PM

You can keep the snow, it'll be under 20 here tomorrow. Put pea seed in one bed and some spinach in another. The ground will be above freezing after three mid 70s days and tomorrow is supposed to get back to the 50s.. and there are Tornados in Illinois right now.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:04 AM

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

We are having wind and range fires in the Texas Panhandle. They are catching a break with the wind right just now but we have more warm windy weather in the forecast.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:09 AM

The weather is crazy! In the 20s now going to the mid 40s, last night had high winds. We are going to be in 70s on Friday and 80s on Saturday. We drop back down to highs in the 60s on Monday and the rest of the week.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:27 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Good Day Gentlemen!

I have become interested in a series of videos on YouTube made by someone who calls himself Lord Hardthrasher. The image he uses for himself is that of Lord Palmerston a Ninetenth Century British Prime Minister!

This Lord Hardthrasher is in the process of making a series of videos on the bomber war of the Royal Air Force and the USAAC during the Second World War. The first episode dealt with RAF Bomber Command in the early years of the war and is entitled "Boldly Bombing Bugger All." The second episode is called the "Bomber Mafia and the Norden Bobsight." The third is called "The Butt Report. The Nadir of the RAF," and the fourth episode is called,"Masters of the Air: The 8th Airforce." In all of these videos he is highly critical of both the British and American high command.

The latest episode, "Remarkable Victory" deals with the allied bombing campaign from January to June 1944.

I like his iconoclastic delivery though some may consider it somewhat trite and please be warned that the commentary contains industrial language which some people may find objectionable. You may make up your own minds, all of his videos may be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+Hardthrasher

PS. I saw another flock of cranes flying northwards this evening when taking the dog for her walk.

PPS. I've lost the buttons again.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 02-28-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:15 AM

If you have switched to the Opera browser, which I currently am on now, and you do not see the buttons in your reply box, hit f5 and refresh. This normally pops them right back up for me in Opera. They would simply not come back in Chrome or Firefox. As to the format, it's a browser. There are some differences, more then I know of so far, a VPN mode is there as well, I haven't tried that, but you can import all your bookmarks/passwords n such from Firefox and give it a shot.
I'll give the good Lord some views, he seems to like The Flannel daddy Garand Thumb so he can't be all bad.
I converted my Hard, Back Breaking, (HEY I git to run my Tiller) work into the Volantex P-47 last night. Even after 14 degree lows and 27 mph wind gusts, it was outside my garage door at 5:30 this morning. Hopefully the winds will calm in the next few days and the 50's will return (yesterday was 74° and calm before the heat blew out) and I can give it a couple flights. Binds right up the Volantex mix I have on my Taranis so if I switch planes I just need to bind it.

If only they had TARHEEL HAL paint

Old 02-28-2024, 12:50 PM

Nice looking Jug alright!
Old 02-28-2024, 12:53 PM

Watched the good Lord's documentary on the ME-262 and am glad to finally here a rounded review not ones that hint at all the troubles behind the design and the environment. Basically, if you look at Luft 46 you can see some fancy fancy wunder weapons that were just about to cusp if only another year went on. These are all the equivalent concept cars OR more to the point, maybe less so, Fashion show dresses. WOW those look fantastic BUT who is going to wear a dress completely out of see through material. Might as well go naked unless the point is to shield you from cascades of rotten fruit and veg because the package doesn't live up to "Viewable in Public" standards. High tech machinery constructed by slave labor and threat of death (which everyone knew was coming anyways) is not the best way to make High Tech machinery. Designing things that look fantastic becomes a problem once the Heroin wears off and then the other penchants of that regime really all came together. I'm surprised the thing actually did fly, which according to the numbers, it didn't do so well.

It's nice to know that the Model of the 163 I have from HK and all the 262 and the like that we see flying in model aviation are rather better thought out and do fly pretty decent. Then again, I'm not trying to take over the world, just yet.

I look forward to the next viewing. This one lasted most of my exercise bike workout plus some cool down time on the couch with my cat. We ALL have our masters after all.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We’re in Florida for the winter, no flying though.

currently 83f and sunny. 55 at home near Boston, they’re having a mild winter, but saving the snow and cold for April when we return.

i picked up a head cam strap on amazon that holds my phone
Old 02-28-2024, 05:46 PM

I should look into it. Put the chickens up at sunset AND the wind was down so I decided to give the Jug a flight. Took forever for me to get the battery in. I bought extra batteries and was trying to use one. It is an 1/8 inch longer, Oops. But it fits the T-28 fine. Anyways, I got it shoved in there and gave it a toss. It flies better then the T-28. The wings are the same 400 mm but there is much more cord on the p-47 and at this size Mr. Reynolds doesn't care as much about A/R I guess.
OR I could just be flying the new thing and not the old thing. BUT it seems the Trojan is a bit harder to get into the CL circle and do figure 8's using the rest of half the front yard. OOoh boy is there some trimming that needs to be done once you go to expert mode. Sucker rolled and tucked I had to get the switch back to sport post haste. The Trojan was like that too, I think the problem was more a point of I couldn't get the battery in and the plane flat and level for quite some time. Once you hold it stationary and haven't throttled up, It neutralizes the controls with the gyros. BUT turn the gyros off in Expert and they pop right to where you told it they were supposed to be. Evidently it settled on that when it was upside down and pointed at my naval. I'll work on that tomorrow or such. Meanwhile, I need to glue the motor sires to the side of the bay as I think I tugged them off a bit AND deepen the battery socket just a touch. Also need to work on a battery box lock. The cover on this one came with an unformed latch. Somebody wasn't paying attention on the post mold check. Probably should have just put it back in the box and shipped it back BUT it shouldn't take much to fix. I can't find the part number on their website to order a new one so I sent them an email. They say they'll get back.
Listen to the boy talk about his new foam toy. He keeps moving it up and down making engine noises and dive bombing sounds, whee whee wheeeeeeee! (that's probably the crash truck now)
Night folks.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean
Watched the good Lord's documentary on the ME-262 and am glad to finally here a rounded review not ones that hint at all the troubles behind the design and the environment. Basically, if you look at Luft 46 you can see some fancy fancy wunder weapons that were just about to cusp if only another year went on. These are all the equivalent concept cars OR more to the point, maybe less so, Fashion show dresses. WOW those look fantastic BUT who is going to wear a dress completely out of see through material. Might as well go naked unless the point is to shield you from cascades of rotten fruit and veg because the package doesn't live up to "Viewable in Public" standards. High tech machinery constructed by slave labor and threat of death (which everyone knew was coming anyways) is not the best way to make High Tech machinery. Designing things that look fantastic becomes a problem once the Heroin wears off and then the other penchants of that regime really all came together. I'm surprised the thing actually did fly, which according to the numbers, it didn't do so well.

It's nice to know that the Model of the 163 I have from HK and all the 262 and the like that we see flying in model aviation are rather better thought out and do fly pretty decent. Then again, I'm not trying to take over the world, just yet.

I look forward to the next viewing. This one lasted most of my exercise bike workout plus some cool down time on the couch with my cat. We ALL have our masters after all.
At the end of the street in which I grew up, lived a family called Wheeler. During the Second World War Mr Wheeler flew a fighter-bomber. He spent part of his training in Florida on PT17s and AT6s. On operations he flew the Hawker Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest. One day a flight of ME262s flew past them so quickly that nobody turned round to give chase!

Guess I'd better check the weather forecast, get up and take the dog for a walk. I don't bother with the news these days. It's only bad news.

I've got the buttons back this morning.
Clean (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:48 AM

I came across a new acronym yesterday, SABLE.

A bloke was trying to sell some kits he'd accumulated over the years.

SABLE stood for, "Stock Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy!"
Clean (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:18 AM

Well I used a piece of pushrod heated to open up the batterybox area in the P-47. Used a dab of hot glue to secure the motor wires to the side. Lastly, I found an old pushrod from some fan fold plane or the other and bent a clip to fit in the vent hole of the battery box then left it long enough to fit through the front latch material that is there and into the foam/under the plastic of the front half SO the hatch is secured while flying.

The temps are at 50 now but the wind is at 10 mph and gusting to over 15. Ehhhh, the sun would be in my eyes right now anyways. Wouldn't want to have to walk to the other side of the yard. But if it slows down tonight I'll get some more flights in.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:43 AM

Hardthrasher's style is good for a chuckle but it is nice that there are people who are taking a fresher look at those topics and not just rehashing stories from wartime and the immediate postwar era. The most irritating videos are the ones where the narrator reads the Wikipedia article word for word. I do agree with Hardthrasher and some of these authors that a lot of that stuff written after the war had a certain bias. Granted that they are selling books or video content but my faves are the guys who are actually going back to archives and other primary source documents rather than citing a book that is based on third hand references.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I came across a new acronym yesterday, SABLE.

A bloke was trying to sell some kits he'd accumulated over the years.

SABLE stood for, "Stock Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy!"
I have a buddy who might resemble that remark. He is a compulsive kit collector who also inherited his father's collection. I suspect he could build eight hours a day and not get through them all. I think he just enjoys the chase. Speaking for myself, I'm fast reaching that point of not taking in an airplane unless it is one that I wanted to build. I probably don't have enough years left to get to the airplanes I want to do, much less the ones I don't care about.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 75+ yrs...

I remember in Jr High building the Comet Taylorcraft kit with a 54" wingspan!
I grew up with stick and tissue, then was given a Pee-wee .020 and a free-flight kit and was hooked. We moved to central IL and i joined a Control-line club, mostly .29-.35 glow engines. We also did some 1/2 A CL and free-flights. I recall 1/2A pulse rc. I never was a very good pilot so for a while I built RC speed boats. Back to planes, I still build in balsa (I've saved a LOT of scraps).

That brings to mind that I'm getting rid of my glow engines, I have about 20, most all barely used, several new and one or 2 stuck (not broken), mostly 1/2A, but ranging from TD .010 to an RJL Cox Conquest .15 rc still in the box. I'm over 75 and won't be using these anymore, but preferred they go to someone who would use them.

These days I do a little electric rc-ing and stick and tissue rubber powered building.
David John Davis (02-29-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I have a buddy who might resemble that remark. He is a compulsive kit collector who also inherited his father's collection. I suspect he could build eight hours a day and not get through them all. I think he just enjoys the chase. Speaking for myself, I'm fast reaching that point of not taking in an airplane unless it is one that I wanted to build. I probably don't have enough years left to get to the airplanes I want to do, much less the ones I don't care about.
I suppose that many of us are in the same boat. I turn 76 in a few days and have discovered that most Englishmen like me, die between the age of 76 and 78 so I have beeen getting rid of a few things! Having said that the average life expectancy of an Englishman is 81 which suggests that if you make it to 79 you'll have a few more years yet.

I'm left with four kits still in their boxes. Two are patternships, a Super Kaos Junior and a Supra Star. Two are scale models, a Hawker Hurricane and a Stampe Monitor. Then there's the Galaxy Models "Mystic" and the DB Sport & Scale Auster to finish off, and the DSM Aerostar, another patternship, to restore. You can add to that a 1/6 scale BE2e which I started to build at least ten years ago and an ARTF Kyosho Calmato! Currently I'm building a new wing for my Baron featuring depron wing ribs and a carbon fibre leading edge.

No buttons this morning.

I'd better get on with things.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:20 AM

Sounds like you need to get to work! I would start with the Hawker Hurricane, I'm a sucker for Battle of Britain heroes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.