Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
old timers look here  must be 50+ years only >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:36 AM

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm afraid that my Sky Rider is a triumph of form over function, There's nothing wrong with the design but I accidentally incorporated a twist into the wings when joining them together so that one wing is at a higher angle of attack than the other. Being a notorious cheapskate, rather than buying new TE stock for the ailerons I used what I had. As a result, the ailerons are too small. I really need to build another wing for this model but other projects, housework and gardening get in the way.

I have just come up from the workshop where I have been making good some defects on the Mystic. I had originally fitted two standard size servos in the rear fuselage but this affected the c of g so adversely that I had to transfer them to a more conventional position. This left me with two servo-sized holes in the rear fuselage and the rectangle I cut out for the new pushrod was too big. I have spent the last hour filling them with scrap 1/8" (3mm) balsa.

While I was working on this model I started to reflect on how many fliers in my club actually build models as opposed to buying ARTFs. OK even I have a couple of ARTFs but I gain much more satisfaction from seeing something I've built flying through the sky.

1. Roger the club's president can build very well but rarely brings one of his creations to the field. If he brings a model it is usually the club's ARTF trainer or his ARTF electric glider. Frequently he turns up without a model at all and simply chats to people and offers advice.

2. Francois, a retired ship's engineer, does build and has several projects on the go including an SE5a and a four engined aircraft, however, most of his models are electric powered ARTFs. He is an exclusively an electric flier.

3. Alain can build but most of his models are electric ARTFs.

4. Gilbert ditto. He has a few i/c powered models but rarely flies them.

5. Gerard Desrier does build but he flies ARTFs too. His latest creation is an electric powered Tiger Moth. He also has a Fokker DVII.

6. Gerard van der Meulin only electric ARTFs mostly foamies.

7. Michell electric ARTF foamies.

8 and 9. Erwan and his son Hubert, the best pilots in the club, can build but frequently buy models already built from estate sales.

10. Thierry exclusively a builder and four-stroke enthusiast! His wife died a few years ago and he has found a new love. His mother disapproves. Thierry works in Paris, so we haven't seen him for some time.

11. Dan, exclusively a builder! He has a nice Fokker DVII in Swiss colours powered by a Laser four stroke engine.

12. Ludo builds beautiful models mostly i/c powered which betray his trade. He works for the local VW agency as a panel beater /paint sprayer.

13. Benoit can build but after he crashed his Baron he has resorted to flying electric powered ARTFs. He is a housebuilder and is currently restoring a house for the family to live in. Both he and Ludo are the fathers of little girls so have limited time at the flying field.

14. Eric, exclusively ARTF foamies which he rarely flies.

15. Patrick as per Eric. Both he and Eric are keen amateur cooks, Eric even trained as a chef when younger. Both do most of the cooking at club dinners and barbeques. Eric and I vie with each other in wine appreciation!

16. Jean-Guy can build, rarely flies but when he does it's an ARTF. I refer to Eric, Patrick and Jean-Guy as "penguins" because they are often at the flying field but rarely fly even on a buddy box! Eric and Patrick are ok with this!

17. Guy a builder! Like Benoit a house builder by trade. He has come back to the hobby after being out of it for over thirty years and builds beautiful models.

18. Bertrand. Can build but prefers ARTF electric powered gliders or second hand models.

19. Frans, my protegé, loves to build but a nervous flier so we have a few repairs to do.

Ah well, housework calls!