Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Got a Noise Complaint

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:23 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Noise Complaint

We had a guy bring his Cub out with a US41 on it. We have been flying at or field (which is owned by a processing plant) for about 6 years now. The man flies his cub and within a few minutes a man drives up. He says hat he has put up with our noise for two years and will not tolerate having to listen to a chainsaw over his house. The man politely put up his plane and did not fly it again. This is what gets me. We fly at a field nest to a processing plant. this plant is fairly loud. Not only is there a plant nearby but the guy has railroad tracks that are about 75 yards from his front door. To make it worse we fly a few miles away from our county airport and have planes (and choppers) fly low over his house. The other thing that gets me is that for us to fly over his house we would have to fly behind the flight line on the other side of the processing plant. I wonder what he is going to think when I fly my Extra with the DA-100 on it? I guess I will just have to be nice and try to keep it as far away from his place as possible.

If noise bothers someone that much you would thing that he wouldn't live nest to railroad tracks, by a processing plant, and a few miles away from an airport.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:57 AM

You are the only noise makers he can complain about. Some people just aint happy unless their b*+&hin.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:04 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we HAD the same problem with a nieghbor, she lived about 1/4 mile behind the flightlineback towards the rightside of the field, we even ended up in court 4 times with her, says we were always flying right over her house, and the noise was to much for her. caused 5 years of headaches, but the last time we were in court, she brought pictures of our planes flying over her house, judge looked at them and laughed out loud at her, (seriously) then turned to her and said, Lady, cant you tell the difference between models and the real airplanes from the airport across the street from your house?? we just smiled, left the court room and never had another problem, but being located in a small town, we are lucky, with houses all around she was the only problem, and may she be the only problem,

if that guy keeps bothering you, next time he comes to your field and screams or yells, offer him the sticks of a trainer and take him up. who knows, maybe you pick up a new member

mark
"PA fun flyers"
"polish air force of duryea"
Old 03-25-2003, 01:06 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just noted my post number, my last post was going to be my 100th post, now since mark changed servers and cleaned out past posts, i am back down to 50 some posts, guess i have to wait again to be a SENIOR member here on rcu

mark
Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (26)

I have had two noise experiences. One time, I'm glad the club president was there, because the neighbor almost tried to beat him up. It would have been me if the Pres wasn't there. Springer should have been there.

Latest one: Our club had a field for 20 plus years. One day a lady moved into a concession stand on the property (it's not a joke - my uncle (GTE employee) even put a phone in the concession stand for her). She complained about the noise and said we were buzzing her concession stand - which wasn't true. A few weeks later we were gone.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:39 PM

One of my customers told me a story of how he and his buddies had been flying on his farm for many years without any complaints or problems from his neighbors who were usually so far away, that they didn't even know RC planes were flying.
But then there was this not-so-friendly neighbor who simply didn't get along with most anyone. One day, the law showed up and said that he got a complaint about very noisy "toy" airplanes
flying around. The trooper who showed up realized that it was a frivious complaint, but had to check on it. He was given a demonstration and said he couldn't believe how someone would complain about something that he couldn't hardly hear himself.

So, after several more complaints down the road, the fliers decided to make peace with his neighbor and fly sailplanes on his farm and power planes at a club field 20 miles away. Low and behold, the law showed up again responding to complaints of those noisy "toy" airplanes again. How much noise do sailplanes make? I imagine the neighbor was just more interested in spoiling the fun the fliers were having and nothing else.

nascarjoe
Old 03-25-2003, 02:52 PM
My Feedback: (12)

The AMA has a book on how to handle noise complaints and points out some key ways to win in court. We may make some people unhappy but we have rights also.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:19 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can understand the guys problem on one hand. I have 3 huge dogs below my house that bark all the time and I can't stand it so I know what he is feeling.

ON the other hand, he has to understand what is going on. We had a guy about a half mile from our field who complained a lot. We went through hell trying to make him happy. Better mufflers, lower altitudes, no flying on that side of the field. After about 2 years, he came over and started yelling at the new president and told him he had a contract that noone would fly in the evenings. We had no such thing. After calming him down, he mentioned that he really couldn't hear them, he just saw it and was pissed. We told him to leave, never come back and removed all the noise restrictions. That was too much. You can only go so far for some people.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:26 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Some people aren't happy unless they try to control everyone else around them.

These people must live miserable lives.................

Todd
Old 03-25-2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by augiep38
Some people aren't happy unless they try to control everyone else around them.

These people must live miserable lives.................

Todd
Amen Brother....
Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Check your local noise laws, then check your sound levels, if you are above fix it. If it becomes problematic and you are below local sound regs, tell the neighbor tough!
Old 03-26-2003, 02:10 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is our story. We have a city regulated airfield. AMA design and the whole thing. About 2 miles away their is a subdivision. There are always a few who complain. About once a year we go through the routine of an EPA guy coming out with a couple of his bootlickers.
* He gets the meter out. Local laws say the max allowable was 55 db static. Now reading the meter at the field is obviously over but that is okay. Then he goes down to the guys neighborhood and takes reading. Max allowed in the housing area is 44db. He is getting static reading of 48-50. The the guy across the street starts his car and it goes to 70. Lawnmower brought it to 90 and a jet went over too. The guy had nothing to go on and left it alone.
You boy apparently has nothing better to do than *****. Allthat static noise is more than your producing. He keeps coming back because nobody will tell him to get lost! Until somebody intimidates him as he does you, then you just deal with it.

About the Member/Senior member thing.You can put whatever you want under your name in the My RCU area.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:31 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Do these people work shifts?
Old 03-26-2003, 03:09 AM

Default Noise Complaint ?

Just got a new rifle and......................

Nope! Checked the AMA rules and regs. Can't do that.

Ya gotta live with it. One mans noise is another's sweet sound. It's a fact of life with our hobby.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just never know how some people will react. We used to have a "Fly-In" each year on our club's anniversary. We always invited guests who were not into the hobby, but were friends or business associates of a member. It must have been the banquet that brought them out! Once we had a farmer and his wife. That afternoon an Ag-Cat flew over at about 900 feet. This man went to bellaching about the noise they make, and said that he will only hire Ag-Pilots with turbine driven planes as they were much quieter. I told him several Ag-Pilots had converted their Ag-Cats to turbines and they were quiet too. But he snapped back that he didn't want a noisy two winged spray plane anywhere near his fields! I left him to rant and rave. An Ag-Pilot told me they have to climb to 1500 feet when passing over a certain neighborhood in his field's vicinity. Seems like one homeowner called the Sheriff and filed a "Noise Pollution" complaint against him once when they went over about 700 feet (legal). One club had to relocate because a golf course was going to be built right next to it, and the developers didn't want the noise of the R/C planes disturbing the golfers! Yet large commercial jets, choppers and corporate aircraft flew low over that area all the time as they made their landing approaches to a nearby airport. Heard any complaints about lawn mowers and leaf blowers?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I live in a nice quiet neighborhood. The biggest noise problem comes from leaf blowers and weed whackers. People seem to get accustomed to those noises and just shut them out. My neighbor just a few houses up the street was into model airplanes. I hated it when he would go out and start up his model engines. The noise was disturbing. Every time I heard that noise, I just had to go see what he was doing and it took me away from my chores.

R/C Flight Unlimited
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by FalconWings10
Do these people work shifts?

Whats wrong with working a shift????
Old 03-26-2003, 03:46 PM

It's the battle of the "haves" _vs_ the "have-nots". It's inherent for folks to b*tch, whine and complain.

I used to fly at the B'ham R/C field near Morris, AL. The club OWNS a 33+ acre flying site in the middle of 700 acres of strip mined land. All was well until some "PWT" moved a single-wide in on a relative's land next to the field, and then the "BWC's" started in. I measured a noise level of some 50 dB at the house. The club did formally rezone the property as "recreational", which may give more protection if the situation heats up.

The best solution may be to call cousin Kneecap Charlie in for negotiations...
Old 03-26-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by SgtMitchell
Whats wrong with working a shift????
I'm not sure he was implying anything was wrong...Maybe folks who sleep at time other then at night (because they work at night) have different views as to what noisy is...
Old 03-26-2003, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The horses and cattle at our field are the most polite I've ever seen. They don't say a word. If they are bothered they just quietly walk away, leaving a couple of calling cards of course. I guess we are just very lucky. New Orleans Model Aviation Club, Avondale, Louisiana.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:28 PM

We had some jackass come down to do a tempory summer job and flew before work at a little used site we had as a back up at 6am!!!! of course we got the blame even tho he wasn't a club member and lost the site.
At the Heli field a complaining woman moved and for a few years all was well, untill she moved back and started to moan again. all this despite a busy road inbetween the two which has big trucks going up and down it all day.
We don't get too much at our remote north cliffs site, but are careful not to fly over the vally too much
Old 03-26-2003, 05:23 PM

Correct! I wasn't implying anything. I've worked many night shifts with the daytime flying could be when someone is trying to get their sleep. Sometimes just the slightest noises can keep you up and that will make people very irritable.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:20 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Hey Phillybaby,

Do you guys still have the RAF site? Which one did you loose? Do you still have 2 sites?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:00 PM

We have our main site at North Cliffs, the RAF base which is almost a sub club as you have to pay extra for it and it's limited to 50, theres the Heli field, and any hill we find for slope soaring, tho gliders arnt officialy part of the club
We also fly at a few unofficial sites but with groups of 3 or 4 only.
We lost a large football field in the shaddow of Carn Brea hill. we still can kinda fly there after much nice talk to the council. however the local gippos kids have torn it to shreds with bikes.
The foot and mouth problem killed a few sites which one or two members used once in a blue moon but got crowded when we had no where else to go. I'm hoping my electric glider wont be a problem when the car club start our summer seaon ( used to take it for the thermals in the evenings ) on a cricket pitch which was also abused and banned from during this time.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:50 PM

I talked to the complaining fellow sunday at the field. He will definitely be back when you fire up the DA-100 Stik... The US 41 will sound like a mouse poot compared to the DA-100! Mike did not fly his Sukhoi because he was afraid the old guy would hear the YS 120 doing its thing! SAD...very sad....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.