Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Toledo Weak Signals 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toledo Weak Signals 2009

Hi Folks,
I'm making plans to head up to Toledo this year to the show....for the 1st time. Have a couple questions for those that have been. I understand that the show is held in the Seagate Center. Is there a hotel on the premises? And if not, can you recommend a nice place to stay? Thanks for any info.

P.S. I realize there are numerous hotels listed on their site, but just wondering about your firsthand experience.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Toledo Weak Signals 2009

The event is held in several levels of the Seagate Hotel, so yes, there is a hotel in the center. There are quite a few other nice hotels in the surrounding area. Note that there are places in Toledo on the outskirts of downtown that you don't want to be in during the daylight, let alone the night. I stayed at a Marriott just outside of town and managed to get lost at least twice during the three days I was there.

If you are flying up it's a lot cheaper to fly into Detroit and drive the balance to Toledo. The airport at Toledo is a samll "feeder" airport with very limited carrier and flight schedules. That adds a lot to the cost of a flight direct to Toledo.

If you want to stay in the Seagate you need to book now. It fills up fast.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto to what T.O.M. said.

And I'll add that while the Seagate has rooms, they are NOT cheap. Neither are the hotels in the immediate area.

This will be the 7th show for ken and I (who cover the show for RCU) and after trying them all, we have found that getting a nice hotel just outside of town makes the most sense for us.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Also brace yourself if you fly into Toledo. There are no airport/hotel limo services. One company alone has the monopoly on transportation into town and the tab runs agout $50. Try to buddy up with others on their way to the show to share this expense, same on returning to the airport.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Yes, I'd say if you are flying you are much better off coming into Detroit, renting a car, and driving down to Toledo (about 50-75mins to Seagate, depending on the weather). Either way, if you have a car, you'll want to stay at a "sleep cheap" in suburbia unless you got lots 'o cash.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As Minnflyer said, we will be covering the show for RCU. In the times we have covered the show here's what I've come up with.

Do not stay at the Seagate's hotel. Everybody I've talked to that has stayed there (most of the people doing the show stay there for the convenience) and they say it's a dive.

If you want a hotel within walking distance of the Seagate stay at the Crowne Plaza. [link]http://www.crowneplaza.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/TOLSS?&gclid=CJqkmIihlpgCFRKLDQodW3xgnQ&dp=true[/link] . Mike and I have stayed there several times. It's a nice place to stay, but the problem is that the parking is all valet parking. So if you need to go anywhere you need to call about 30 minutes ahead so that they can get your car up to the hotel. When we stayed there we just used the hotel shuttle to get anywhere. The other thing I didn't like about this hotel was that high speed internet was an extra fee. For us covering a show it's mandatory that we have high speed so we can start posting pictures from the show.

Mike and I will be staying at the Clarion about 10 minutes from the show. Last year they were remodeling the Crowne Plaza and they moved us to the Clarion and we decided that we would just as soon stay there this year. Nice room, not far away, our car is right there when we need it, high speed internet is free, and it was nice having the car at the show. It was nice because it was easier to take things to the car instead of walking them back to the hotel 3 blocks away.

[link=http://www.tonypackos.com/]Tony Packo's[/link] . If you've ever watched MASH you've heard about Tony Packo's from Klinger. It's a real place. If this is your first trip you definitely need to go. The last 2 years Mike and I have sworn that we weren't going, but we had new people with us that insisted we go. So we went. Tony's is definitely worth the trip, but bring Tum's.

Do not fly in to Toledo. Tickets cost more and it's almost as far of a drive from the airport to downtown as it is coming from Detroit. Mike and I fly into Detroit and rent a car for the drive to Toledo. It's about a 25-30 minute drive from Detroit Airport to the downtown area.

Wear comfortable shoes. The Toledo show is HUGE and there is a LOT of walking!!!!!

Try to come for all 3 days if you can. Once again, the show is HUGE and takes a lot of time to cover it all. There is a swap shop upstairs and you can usually find a lot of unique stuff there.

Bring money. Local hobby shops set up at the show and usually run very good "Show Specials"

If you're going to be at the show make sure to holler at Mike and I as we get closer to the show. There is nothing that we like more than meeting up with fellow RCU members!!!!

That's about all I can think of right now. If there are any specifics that I didn't cover let us know and we'll do our best.

Ken
Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info. Looks like me and a flying bud, and our wifes(?), will be driving up, about 5 hours away. Just thought i'd reserve a room now while possible. Always heard good things about the show and wanted to make the pilgrimage.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM

,,you will not believe,,,
Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I miss going to that show....just too $$$ for me to get there now
Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've heard too many horror stories about the on-site hotel the past few years, poor water pressure to the upper floors, elevators not working and a staff who could care less about any problems.
The SeaGate Center is fairly easy to find for the out-of-towner but more difficult to get out of town. Look for the signs on the highway for the 5/3 Bank ballpark (Washington Street exit) at it's next-door to it, the home of the Toledo Mudhen's.
There is Packo's At The Park just off the first base side of the ballpark. Ken will tell you also to try the fried pickles (if he's reading this, he'll start drooling like Pavlov's dogs! ) and the Packo dogs are great! The prices are very reasonable too. Spaghetti Warehouse is almost next-door to it and is always packed, another preferred eatery.
Onsite you can also have purchases packed and shipped to you. Food and drinks are also pricy at the SeaGate, typical for this type of venue.
I'm close enough so that I just make it a day trip although a long day.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
My Feedback: (35)

One other thing. Wear bumper pads, lots of people in there. And get a map. Sometimes you can't get close enough to see the tables and have to go back a second or third time. Dennis
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

You find a vendor that needs free help, tell him you will work in his booth for not less than 6 hours a day. This gets you into the show an hour before it opens where you can wander the isles in relative peace. Get there early to help him set up, more chance to cruise and explore. You should have some degree of expertise in his product line as a minimum.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 PM

It is usually most congested at the right end of the room so be different and start at the left end! Why it's so packed over there, I don't know.
Bring money for the swap shop area upstairs as there are deals on new and used goods there. Check with several vendors areas I've found out the hard way, there are some that are way cheaper than others especially on items like servos, battery packs or complete radio systems.
I happened to run into one of the owners of a LHS there and if he can find bargains, anyone can.
Take a bag as you might need it for all of the free goodies there. One year I knew that I was going to load up on carbon fiber rod and seeing how it came in 4 foot lengths, I got smart and took along a nylon kite bag to carry it around in.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
Why it's so packed over there, I don't know.
And if you see this guy coming towards you, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69323.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1116559  
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM

What I was taking a shot of..........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22739.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	1116565  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM

and don't forget to check out e.t.o.c. after the show.