Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Is it just me, or do others have this problem, too? >

Is it just me, or do others have this problem, too?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is it just me, or do others have this problem, too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it just me, or do others have this problem, too?

Looks like its a bit tricky to make an accurate assessment of the situation now as the evidence has been tampered with (looks like posts may have been deleted in the for sale thread).

However, you may (?) be fortunate in that you haven't missed out if there are still 10 kits available....

A squadron of P-51's anyone?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:42 AM
My Feedback: (182)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gee, this is pitiful...but it is seemingly common to feel this way

Originally posted by Crashem
And the seller "knows" this because

A. You said so.

B. Has degree in advanced Mind Reading!!!

C. Because 9 out of 10 people who ask to see a picture usually buy the Item.

Fact is to most people selling an item genuine interest takes a back seat to cash.

You shouldn't feel slighted in any way and only have yourself to blame for not getting the sale.
I guess you are one of those that is totally self-centered and doesn't give a damn about taking care of their 'first in line' customer. I am seeing that these days people like this are more of the norm instead of the exception. IMO, that is a poor state to be in...but suit yourself since that's all you are interested in in the first place.

The world is getting to be a less enjoyable place to live every day.

Once again, I'm glad my 'stash' is well set so I don't have to deal with greedy-gimmee guts on a daily basis.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you are one of those that is TOTALLY self-centered and doesn't give a DAMN about taking care of their 'first in line' customer.
If your money wasn't on the counter (so to speak) then YOU WERE NOT THE First in line customer.

You stated that you wanted a picture to confirm legitimacy of item in question not unreasonable but not overly trusting on your part. Someone else took a chance and purchased sight on seen more risky but in this case the gamble worked therefore you have NO gripe nor any claims to be first in line. The seller simply took the money from the first buyer offering it. Something you did not do. Your intentions don't factor in to the equation, hence my comment Money talks and BS walks.

Oh and BTW your original question called for an opinion mine is a stated in my posts and is no more right or wrong then yours or anyones elses. If it makes you feel better simply disregard it.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:25 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Gene, say your looking to buy a car. It's on sale and your the first to come see it.
Now your asking all the right questions, wanting to see a safety inspection, compression test and maintenance records. Not unreasonable, it's your money.
I come along and know what I'm looking for, don't care about anything else than "that's the car I want to buy"

So I say (while your talking to the owner) " I'll buy that car right now at your full asking price, please!
The owner looks at you, (the undecided) and me waving my hand full O cash.
I'm sure he thinks about it for a second and says, hmmmmm do I wait on the maybe who is asking the questions he needs to and still might not buy it or.....
SOLD to the guy with the cash!
Happens all the time anymore.
Used to be when we lived in a slower time courtesy was common. So were manners. It was publicly embarrassing to be seen as selfish or greedy.
Not so these days.
The gimmys, mines, hurryups, me,me,mees and the ever popular outtamy ways have prevailed.
The rat race is officially over, and sadly, the rats have won.
I have made the adjustment. Changed with the times so to speak.
I would go back to the days before the Internet in a minuet.
Simpler times, those.
I really see your point, Gene.
I know you see mine.

Die is cast, checks in the mail. Got to move with it.
You don't have to like it but it is what it is, this is how many/most do business these days.
Sadly?
Yup.
No more first come first served.
The waving money gets the nod.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:51 PM

"Used to be when we lived in a slower time courtesy was common. So were manners. It was publicly embarrassing to be seen as selfish or greedy.

No more first come first served.
The waving money gets the nod."

Mike,

Its always nice to look at the past through "rose colored" glasses

While I may not be as old as you or Gene I can honestly state that I have never seen a seller turn done a "firm" offer (cash in hand) in favor a potential offer.

You and Gene seem to confuse an inquiry with an offer.

Lets turn this around for a second if the seller sent the picture to Gene and Gene decided that the kit was not to his liking for what ever reason Are you saying that Gene had an obligation to purchase and backed out on the deal?

If the answer is no (which I believe it should be) then how can you fault the seller for accepting the FIRST Real offer.

Taking your logic would mean that every time a potential customer expressed an interest in a product they would become obligated to buy it.

THATS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW greed and selfishness may be the way you perceive the situation that does not necessarily mean that was in fact the case.

I personally think the seller simply found a buyer period end of story.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:58 PM

I'll accept that.

Personally I think the whole problem wouldn't have been, with a phone call.
Works for me, everytime.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:48 PM

One last point,

It's been my experience that: "While every Sale starts with an inquiry NOT every inquiry ends in a sale..."

It is important for both the buyer and seller to realize this.

Most deals fall through due to lack of communication Mike is right a phone call may have resolved this by clearing up any misconceptions either the buyer or sale may have had
Old 07-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Default I'm done whining and will move on after this

Most deals fall through due to lack of communication Mike is right a phone call may have resolved this by clearing up any misconceptions either the buyer or sale may have had
When I first contacted the gentleman about his kit I recieved several replies via email that afternoon and one of them was that he WAS going to send me a picture that evening when his sister brought his digital camera back to him. I would think with that much communication over that period of time would give the buyer the idea I was VERY intrerested and did indeed plan to buy his kit but wanted a picture of it...a phone call would not have provided a picture. I received another email reply late the same day stating that a picture would be sent the following morning...I waited and waited and waited...two days...NO PICTURE. Then I notice the ad showed that someone else bought it. Yea, I bet the next guy was waving money in the seller's face. Oh well, the kit's gone...whoop tee doo! If that is the way things are going to be sold I guess I'm going to be losing a lot of deals due to the fact I like to be careful when I buy anything. I guess the world is full of people who are willing to take unecessary risks and possibly be ripped off by unscrupulous sellers.

Oh yea, Mike, You know I live in Texas...we're kinda friendly/easy going down here. If I went to most ANY car dealership/private owner to look at a SUX 2000 and was grilling the salesman/owner about this and that I'm thinking he would be all ears and go out of his way to keep me happy. If I then told him I wanted to test drive it but at the same time another gentleman stepped up waving a large wad of hundreds and wanted to buy the same car I was interested in I'm sure the salesman/owner would direct his attention to me...because I was 'first'. He has his reputation to protect if he is an honorable man...at least that is the way I was taught to act.

Bottom-line, IMO, I guess a reputation is getting to the point where it is not important any more. That's good for the ones with a bad reputation but a large leap backwards for those that have a good one.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:14 PM

OK, I'll accept that, too.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:17 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Let's see, has this ever happened to you;

You go to the local xyz store and start looking at the new widget, you happen to be in the market for a new widget by the way.

There is one salesman working and you begin asking him questions about the new widget. While you are talking to the salesman, 15 other customers come in. They all want to buy a product. The salesman, says excuse me, I need to deal with these other customers, then I will be back (notice he doesn't let the money walk out the door?!) He comes back, pulls the widget off the shelf, puts it in a box, and another customer leaves with a smile on his face. The salesman then comes back to answer more questions about the widget. After talking to him for another 1/2 hour you say, "I think I will take one of those widgets." The salesman says, I am sorry, but I just sold the last one.

Happens all the time. This is not a new occurance in a more rude era, it has been happening since the concept of business was invented back in double-O B.C. I certainly don't see it as rude for someone selling somthing to take a sure offer when someone else is just "kicking the tires".

Now if the first customer EXPRESSLY states that he will take the widget on the shelf provided the salesmand can show him the box with all the manuals and warranties, then he has committed to buy, otherwise, he is kicking tires, and the salesman can sell the product to someone else.

Since the other thread has been chopped up, er I mean "edited" I can't go back and see if you actually said, "I will take at your price if you can send me a photo to show you have it" (or somthing to that effect.) If you did, then I think he should have held the plane. If you didn't EXPRESSLY state that you would take it, but merely asked for a photo (ie,kicking tires), then I think he was not in the wrong to sell it to someone else .
Old 07-29-2003, 03:22 PM

Gene,

Throughout all of your posts you make the assumption that the seller should have realized you were serious and would buy the get after you received the picture!!!

Those are all assumptions that you are placing on the seller.

This type of medium (Ebay,RCU Internet, etc..) promotes impersonal selling. Therefore your assumptions are unfounded IMHO..

Bottom line if you were so sure you wanted the kit why not just buy it and skip the picture or Better yet tell the seller that he has a deal contingent on photo verification of the item in question.

You sound like you wanted the seller to trust your "intent" to buy the item yet you require a photo of the item rather then trust the seller to deliver his end of the "deal".

Can anyone say double standard or maybe hypocrite?

Trust is a two way street you didn't want to trust him and maybe he didn't trust you. That may be another reason why he sold the item to someone else.

Again just my opinion based on what you have written
Old 07-29-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Trust

Hmmm...let's see...

The seller's trading karma...1 positive, 1 negative.

My trader karma...5 positives...0 negative.

Personally, I don't see where under the circumstances a picture was a lot to ask for.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:29 PM

"Intent vs Interest"

As someone who spent 3 years as a 100% commissioned sales Rep I can tell you that Intent to buy and Interest are two very different things.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard the following

Hold it for me I'll get back to you tommorrow

Or

Had a customer ask many indepth questions only to then say thats way to expensive or I'll be ready to purchase in 6-9 months

Or my personnal favorite after an onsite demo Gee thats exactly what I need but I can buy it from xyz for 2.00 less Sorry no sale but thanks for the demo (free)

My point is that showing interest is not nor was it every enough to hold a deal!!!

Showing Intent on the other hand usually is for most people.

Don't confuse the two Intent requires a higher level of commitment on the buyers part. Asking for specs or a picture is not intent..
Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 PM

The seller's trading karma...1 positive, 1 negative.
My trader karma...5 positives...0 negative.

Personally, I don't see where under the circumstances a picture was a lot to ask for.
So What!!!

Are you trying to imply that 100% of the time your interest in an item results in a sale?

Go back and re-read my second post seems to me you think all sellers need to be able to read minds.

No intent No Deal. In this case you were 100% in the drivers seat.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Bogus comparison...BIG time!

As someone who spent 3 years as a 100% commissioned sales Rep I can tell you that Intent to buy and Interest are two very different things.
OK, you're a 'sales $lu+' to put it bluntly. At some point in time you will realize that by treating people the way that you wish that wish to be treated will help you. Beyond that...you're totally hopeless.

Thanks for your input on this thread but really you need to get a grip on how regular everyday people feel about wheeling and dealing with others when NO commission is involved. Your 'ideas' are FAR from what I have been taught. I guess I am overly careful, WTH is wrong with that? I personally don't like to get burned by some knumb-nut unscrupulous seller just to powder their palm with more undeserved money. I guess some others are willing to accept that fact.

I'll go away now.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:01 AM
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again-- this is the 3rd thread in 2 weeks that I try to offer a constructive comment -- and I am caught in the crossfire-- time to un-suscribe!

Gee Whizz-- offer your thought and then listen to others.