Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Old Sig Akrobat.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Sig Akrobat.

I just bought on ebay an old Sig Akrobat. I say it’s old because the box looks like it’s been around a LONG time… but no dates on it. Kit looks to be pretty complete except there are no hand controls (pardon my lack of proper terminology… this is my first plane… and first post). Anything special I need to know about this kit/plane? Any tips or suggestions? I look forward to building this plane and using this forum. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Old Sig Akrobat.

Most control line kits only include the leadouts, bellcrank, horns and pushrod(s). That's the extent of the controls that come with a kit.

Depending on the size engine you use for the model, you get braided steel lines of the appropriate diameter and length. And you choose whatever handle suits you. The lines and handle work with any plane from then on that is appropriate for that line size/length.

That's the way it works.

It's a decent flying airplane. Welcome
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rockchalk,

I have a ThunderTiger 15 on my Sig Akromaster and fly it on 52 ft. stainless lines. 8x4 prop for the 15 with Powermaster 10/22 fuel/

Check out www.stunthanger.com for lots of CLPA info.

Jim
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

The Akromaster and the Akrobat are two different planes. I believe the Akrobat is for a .35.

George
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Akrobat is a full bodied stunter. Looks like a Zlin. It would be for a .35-.40. .015"-.018" Lines.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi George,

You are right, and I knew that---just didn't read the "fine print"!

Jim
Old 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rockchalk,

Whereabouts in Kansas are you?

There are several active control-line fliers around Topeka and Wichita. Might be able to put you in contact with one or more of those.

I urge you to try to connect with an experienced builder and flier! We're usually nice guys, and very glad to welcome "new" friends into what we really enjoy.

Yes, there are several fine points that will be a whole lot easier to learn from a guy who knows them.

I think, that with a decent start with a knowledgeable CL buddy, you'll enjoy CL a lot. I've been flying it for over 50 years, and still MUCH prefer it to any other way to fly model aircraft.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Lou,

I'm in the suburbs south of Kansas City... about 40 minutes from Topeka. I may be interested in hooking up with someone at some time. How would I go about that?

I've hit a bit of a stumbling block with this plane in that the kit I bought was not 100% complete... bought on ebay. I need some good sheeting to complete the wings and canopy… I found some balsa in the right dimensions at Michael’s craft store but Its just not the same. It’s heavier and less flexible then the kit balsa. I’m going to see if I can find some on line or order from a shop I’ve seen advertising in Salina Kansas.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Finding the right grain and weight wood is always a challenge. What I've always done is just buy pieces of good wood whenever I come across them even if I had no project to use it on at the moment. In any typical hobby shop wood rack, there's probably only 10% of it that is really choice.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check email