Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

TECHNIQUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:12 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TECHNIQUES

As a new Forum for this area, it probably would be a good idea for anyone to learn how to do various things within this Digital arena. If I don't know how, I'm sure that MinnFlyer will be able to help out.

There are MANY ways within the same application to accomplish whatever special effect you'd like to make happen.

The three main applications for the INDUSTRY STANDARDS are:

1) PHOTOSHOP
2) ILLUSTRATOR or FREEHAND
3) QUARKEXPRESS

The vast majority of us use PHOTOSHOP.

There are still many versions still being used. (My goodness - that almost scarey!)

My background with PS started with 3.0.5, then 4.0. Along came 5.0, 5.5, 6.0. 7.0 and now CS (8)

PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS will do almost everything that all of the other main versions will do except the way the software is designed, it helps to show the user the end result of what the filters will do --- before you apply them.

There are some really common - lets call them "tricks" that unless you have been shown how to apply them --- you'll take forever before you cross that path.

Here is just one that is used daily.

CROPPING in PHOTOSHOP:

There are two ways to crop. From the TOOL bar on the left one is by using the TOP LEFT tool called the RECTANGULAR MARQUEE TOOL. By placing your curser arrow point at the top left corner of the area you want to "crop" a set of dotted lines will appear. These are called "MARCHING ANTS". Once you have selected the image that is enclosed by the marching ants, place your curser arrow at the top of your menu board and select IMAGE. Drag down till you hilite CROP.

The rest is history. You will ulimately be asked to "save" your file under a variety of formats. See attachment

(different versions will have different features in different locations) These are for PS7.

marwen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81347.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	242505  
Old 03-12-2005, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: TECHNIQUES

I actually have a lesson on basic layers and effects here:

http://204.96.183.34/RCU/photoshop/photoshop.wmv

It's a BIG file, and a long download, but it will teach some good basic stuff
Old 03-13-2005, 11:22 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,

I liked your video on layers but wanted to point out one think about save the end result to a jpeg. In your video you say that you have to flatten the layers before you can save it out as a .jpg. You don't have to do this any longer in photoshop. It allows you to select .jpg as your file type from the save option. This way you still have the original psd composition that you could still make modification to and/or save it out as a .psd file for changes or fixes at a later date.

Len
Old 03-14-2005, 12:03 AM
My Feedback: (6)

you are probably correct - but if I have an "open" file as a jpg that really does not tell me if it is open or closed --- so I simply make it a habit to leave all PSD's open. If it is a jpg then I KNOW that it is closed. The beautiful thing about PS is that you can do the same process in a multitude of ways. I just like to KNOW without having to check all over the place.

marwen