Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Charging Rates ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Rates ?????

Ok, I'm a newbie, I admit it

I have a Sanyo 2600 mAh Nickle-Metal Hydride battery subc pack and a Triton charger. I slow charged at .2 amp on the first charge. What is the max I can 'fast' charge these packs with out damage. Would it be 1C (2.6 amp) or could I safely go higher say 3.0 or even 4.0 amp. Also how long should I wait before recharging these at the field. I have read to wait at least 6 hours before recharging
Is this true ? I would like to be recharging these packs while I am flying on the next pack.

Thanks for any advice
These forums are just great ! I'm not sure I could have ever figured any of this out with out the great help from you guys [&:]
Old 02-17-2004, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Charging Rates ?????

Many of your battery care practices will be based on compromises and personal preference.

Charge rate is one of them. The SAFEST charge rate for any type of cell at this point is 1C, or 2.6 Amps in your case. Most NiCd and NiMH cells can be charged faster. How fast? Well, a rule of thumb is 2C for modern NiMH and 3C for NiCd, but not all cells fit this rule. You can, and probably should, slowly increase the charge rate by a few tenths of an Amp every time you charge, just to make sure the battery is taking it okay and is not getting uncomfortably hot. Every pack is different.

I believe the six hours between charges is a manufacturer's recommendation. We don't follow any of the other manufacturer's recommendations for these cells. Why choose to follow this one? If you want to trade pack longevity for the ability to fly, that's a personal choice you need to make. Impact on the pack's life will PROBABLY be minimal, compared with the impact of all the other abuse the pack is taking from otherwise normal flights.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Charging Rates ?????

Thanks Matt,

That's just the info I needed

RotorWing