Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

E-FLIGHT BLADE CP

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-FLIGHT BLADE CP

Hi

there are 2 new heli`s out there and www.EshopJB.com has them
its the new Hughes 300 and the Phoenix v1 fp, v2 cp

check it out and post what you think
Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Hey Jet, under the weather over the weekend so didn't make it in to have you give the bell hiller a try.

BTW - that Fireball motor....not so good. It added 300+- rpm to the head speed and had a ton of torque loading up in the turns but it got so hot it melted my canopy a bit, ran for about 4 min and lost power dramatically. luckily the power went south gradually (3 seconds) and I was able to bring it to earth controllably. After it cooled, it flew again with the same result (this time it melted the canopy though). The mounting screw size was (not stock) 2mm worked but I don't think its metric. Maybe the difference between your experience and mine with this motor is due to my particular seperates setup...who knows. In my book, any such experiment that doesn't break something was worth the try.
I reinstalled the stock motor and all is fine once again.

Having the extra torque and head speed increased the tail swinging when I apply pitch changes. I've mixed the rudder and throttle but the tail motor just doesn't respond fast enough to compensate. The tail motor was working alot more too and would probably reduce the life span of the unit considerably.

If it had not gotten hot, I would have kept it though. Even though the tail was more eratic, the added head speed made it fly quite solidly. The improvement was almost as dramatic as when changing from Nimh & 10t to Lipo and 9t.

I'm thinking maybe an 8t with the fireball would make it run cooler and still give me some more rpm + the torque.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 AM

Strange, the fireball in mine did not do anything to the canopy, and i always flew with mine on. maybe the fireball are wound a little hotter now than when i got mine. and mine was always a little warm, but never hot. very interesting though.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Hey all, I just bought the Blade CP a couple of days ago. I am brand new to helicopters and have only been flying fixed wing planes for about a month. I have been practicing using several of the helicopters on G3 flight sim. I tried hovering my Blade and after the 3rd battery pack finally ended up nicking both rotor blades. So, I went and bought a new set and have resisted to the point that until I can confidently hover several of the helicopters on the G3 flight sim I will not attempt to hover my blade. I do have the training set but the Blade seems to want to go every which way. The guy at my LHS took it outside and demonstrated my Blade and trimmed it up for me so I know it is me not the helicopter. Can anyone tell me which helicopter is closest to the Blade on G3. I have been working with the What Not. In the beginning it was impossible for me to hover, so I went to the Huey and caught on pretty quick. I am now able to pretty confidently hover the What Not but still am a little shy of trying out my Blade again. I don't want to totally destroy it just trying to learn how to hover. This is an awesome forum. I have learned alot from you all even though I have only read about half to 3/4 of the threads on this forum. I'll keep reading your all's posts and looking for more advice as I get better. Thanks. Rodger
Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I keep telling people that that sim is USELESS for learning how to fly. Its just not realistic.

Look for a setting in there that sets the "simulation speed"....then speed it up from 100% to 120%
Add all the flight elements like wind, turbulence, etc.
Then it will come close to about a 3rd of reality.

If your going to learn on the blade. Get some training gear or make some. They will help you alot.
Do a search on here for Radd's Flying Lessons, and follow them.

Use the sim for what it is....a computer game.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 AM

RODGERC130
Old 10-10-2005, 11:35 AM

RODGERC130 Sorry about the blank post. Rodger, I was in the same boat that you are now in. Flying RC planes for years and was able to hover on the G2 sim but could not hover the BLADE. Check out this website and read from start to finish. Helped me more than anything. Found that I was over controlling. You can't just yank the stick right or left to correct the movements of the BLADE. You will get into the dreaded pendulum swing and then..... CRASH! Easy stick movements.

http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg/index.html

Joe
Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 PM

DAy 2:
I took the heli outside today to try this mod. in the wind.
There was a 5 to 7 mph cross wind in the back yard, fired it up.
What a difference, much less tail wag and seemed to hold a heading much better. Still could be better, so I cut 2.5 mm from the tips of the blades and tried it out again. This is getting better all the time, it holds turns much better and hardly any tail wag at all.

So far I have taken 2.5mm off of the trailing edge and 2.5 mm from the tip of each blade, and the tail motor runs at a higher rpm to compensate for the smaller tail blade.

this seams to me to be a good tail mode if you are stuck with the original motor and tail blade setup, also gives you more ground clearance.

I will go back to the DD tail when I get to the hobbyshop this week.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 PM

interesting indeed, did you notice any increase in tail motor temp due to the increase in motor speed?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Jaless. I appreciate your help. I understand bdavison has his opinion and that his opinion is very much respected on this forum. I just feel strongly that the sim has helped me and he is entitled to his opinion. I am just not willing to go out and continually crash my helicopter until it has to be totally rebuilt or replaced in order to learn how to fly it. I learned that on one of my first airplanes. The simulator has been a great help. I know I will crash it I just want to try and prepare as best I can. I am a flight engineer in the Air Force and the simulators that we fly don't really handle like the actual plane either but they are a tremendous help regardless of what some of us may think.
Rodger
Old 10-10-2005, 04:39 PM

RogerC130,

I found real-flight 3d to be a big help in getting more stable on my Blade. I just used the 30 impala and found it to be very close to my Blade. I started with the 30 trainer, but it was a bit too sedate, the normal 30 model was much closer to the real thing. It is still a bit less touchy than the real thing, but it helps to build coordination anyway. I highly recommend starting with a sim...

bdavidson,

Thanks a TON for your setup instructions on the Blade. After a couple of crashes things were out of wack and after following your setup instructions my Blade is back to new!

Steve
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 PM

I am getting the DD tail rotor setup and have a question about the GWS-CN12RXC motor setup. I have read that if you don't break the motor in that it will die really fast. Does anyone have any comments about it. How did you break it in? I haven't ordered it yet and before I do I would like to hear from those that are using it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM

After reading about the Blade, I want to get one. Right now I have a Hirobo XRB (the tetherless one) and have mastered it. I wish Hirobo would come out with a SkyRobo with variable pitch blades, but until then there is the Blade CP. I hope that the Blade would be a good transition heli between the XRB and the Raptor.30 The XRB is a great trainer, but it is a little too easy to fly, and the jump to the Raptor is a bit much. Do you guys think that the Blade should be able to fill in the gap?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Have been flying the BLADE for a couple weeks now, having a blast with it, indoor and out.
Last night indoor flying (apartment) I hit the TV stand and seemed to have bent the main shaft with the big gear on it.

Have heard that it can be re bent and put back on until new part comes in.

This true and is this a easy fix??????????????
Old 10-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Roger: I have used a drill press to straighten mine until I got a new one. Actually worked pretty good too. Just turn it really slow. I started by putting about half way down the shaft and then work my way up the shaft to find the bend. Just an idea.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 PM

I just havent been impressed with any flight simulator. Most people can do much more in the sim than they can in real life, and its a direct result of the "easy" to fly sim. I just dont see the sims as a viable alternative for real stick time training. They just dont fly like a real helicopter. To me its just a fun video game that resembles RC flight.

I do however think that the sims are great for pilots that already know how to fly a helicopter, and are using it to figure out the stick inputs needed for 3D or advanced aerobatics.

I've seen new pilots get extremely frustrated with their real helicopters when they find out that it "doesn't fly like the sim". Unfortunatly their frustration gets directed at their real helicopter and not the simulator. I just think that the time spent on the computer game could have been better utilized by real stick time.

Many pilots have become too dependant on the simulators, even to the point of considering them an alternative for real flight. Just look at the recent "VR" flight competitions.

Using a simulator to learn on will NOT prevent you from crashing on the real aircraft......EVER.
A prime example is the above. He still chipped his blades. I applaude him on having the intuition to have the heli checked out to make sure it wasnt a problem with the heli, before he directed his wrath on it. Well done. With that attitude and foresight, you'll learn to fly for sure.

You CAN learn to fly a heli without a sim. You dont need a sim to learn to fly. If you practice with a real helicopter in a patient, persistant, manner with good lessons like those found in Radd's flying lessons, you will not only be getting extremely valuable real stick time, but you'll also be up and flying long before your friends that are bunny hopping in G3. Its also more satisfying.

Im not completely against simulators. I fly one too, after all....its fun.
But I'd still rather be flying the real thing, and I think the lessons I learn flying the real helis are far more valuable in the long run than anything I could do on the sim.

Nojoy, I think the Blade would be a good intermediate heli for you. Most people will agree that micro helis are more difficult to fly than nitro birds. I think if you got really good on a Blade, you shouldnt have any problem moving up to a nitro bird. I dont personally plan on ever going to nitro. Im really hooked on the electric stuff. Im done with the nitro stuff. I flew nitro airplanes for years, and I enjoy the hassle/mess free alternative of electric stuff. But if you want to go nitro...go for it. Another nice transistion heli would be a Trex, but you'll need more advanced skills to fly it. Its far more sensitive on cyclic.
I went from the XRB to the Blade, and Im getting a Trex soon. I think the Blade was a perfect "intermediate" heli for me. Going from the XRB to the blade I had very little trouble moving up. Much less trouble than if I had started on the Blade.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanx for the feedback bdavison. Sounds like the Blade will be a good transition heli for the $. The Trex is pretty cool, but I am not interested in the added cost. The extra money I will save on the Blade will go towards the Raptor.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM

Rodger,

True the simulator is not like the real thing, but what it will do is train your hands how to react with your eyes. Basically get you used to how a heli controls. But just like every plane and heli, everything flys differently. But it does help with coordination.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:00 PM

anybody know of any good sites that sell swashplate levels for cheaper than $27. All I could find was some made by K&S. I did see some that had bubble levels but the thing about that is you have to level the heli as well or your still going to have a lop-sided swashplate even if the bubble levels say it's level. The ones by k&S are magnetic and stick to the mast. This allows for exact level in relation to the shaft no matter what angle the heli is sitting on. I know for me, my work bench isn't the most level object to work with so bubble levels would not work for me, so far the K&S leveler is the simplest one to use.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 PM

lower load on motor lower temp
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 PM

I am completly new to Helecopters> I bought the Blade CP less than a month ago and after several crashes and a lot of frustration I can fly it pretty good. I can hover it almost completly steady for a whole battery. I can fly foward and do basic figure 8s. No tricks yet! I have done the colective pitch washer mod and it seems to inprove the control. I am currantly running the stock motor and battery along with the flat blades. The blade flys very well and I am able to control good with this set up. I purchased a set of the carbon symetrical bades and the upgrade kit. When I fly it with the carbon blades I find it very hard to control. I have tried the 9 tooth pinion/motor , upping the throttle trim , adding more pitch by adjusting the links, and flying in the idel up mode. It will hover well and the blades are tracking true, but as soon a I try any forward flight it becomes very hard to control and losses altitude quickly. Do I need a 3cell li-po battery to use these blades? Has any one succesfully flown the blade with the symetrical bades and a stock 8cell battery? Or do I just need more practice flying with this set up? I would appriciate any help on this topic!

Over all the blade cp has been a pleasent learning experience and I have had very few problems with this helecopter.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:46 AM

You should be able to fly with the stock nimh, i have done this several times. the only thing i can think of is the pitch adjustment. did you add pitch or take it away? the pitch adjustment is very sensitive on the blade and can rob you of precious lift. but the CF blades should fly really well, and i think they track better than the wooden syms.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 AM

hey Jet, you going to be in the shop this evening? Interested in a bell hiller test drive?

all, I found the sims to be valuable in engraining control at different orientations. I haven't found software that will simulate the random nature of a real heli's movements in a hover. the sims are much to stable and predictable. It's good for some elements of fff but certainly not an alternative to taking all the small steps in training when learning to fly the real thing.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up. Im still working on programming the 9CSuper for the blade. I cant figure out how to get the idle-ups set. I can program all the pitch curves and everything, but when I flip the switch, it just stays in normal mode.

Anyone out there know anything about this? Its probably something really simple, that Im missing. The manual is about useless.

I can post the programming up here once I get it all set, but the pitch curves are going to be different for each machine depending on where the servo arms are positioned at neutral, and where your linkages are set.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Ok need blade help I am newish to this and am learning to fly apart from getting better how can i make my blades last longer have just nicked to edge of my new set and now the blades are all out of balance is there any thing i can do to make them last longer please give me some good ideas apart from learn to fly better or give up and try somthing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.