Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 cp dual tail surges, but only when... >

cp dual tail surges, but only when...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

cp dual tail surges, but only when...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cp dual tail surges, but only when...

the main motor is connected. I have completed the brushless and dual tail conversion. Could I have a tail motor going bad on me? If so, how do I know which one to replace? I think one of the tail motors is original, and one is new. I have another new one ready to install, but the soldering is work I don't want to do by trial and error. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Default RE: cp dual tail surges, but only when...

if the main motor is connected? Or when it is spinning the blades and up in the air? You could just need to turn down the gain on your 3 in 1.

To tell which one is different, if you are good with tuning, like as far as music, then you just take off the gear and the prop and listen to the motors and figure out which one is "flat" if on eis at all.

If you don't know how to do that, then take one of the motors off of the mount and just let it spin freely. Let the other engage the tail gear and prop. If you have a tach, then look for about 5k rpms. If either one is low, say like 3k rpms, or one sounds a bit lower than the other, then they probably nee replacing. Usually if one needs replacing, it's a good idea to just replace them both.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM

one other thing. Don't just slide it back. I did that and the pinion got stick in the hole because the hole was just a tiny bit small. Good thing I had the fuse mod installed or it would have taken out my 3 in 1. As it was it only smoked the motor.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 PM

Yeah, it does it when the blades are spinning, model held in my hand by the skids. I just remembered that I can pull the tail rotor off and apply drag to the gears individually to check for torque output. The other thing I need to do is replace the tail motor harness. Mine has been spliced a couple of times, and I have a new one to install.

And it does this with the gain all the way down, but gets much worse with it turned up. I'm using an eclipse radio and revo mixing for the proportional. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

One thing I noticed about the heli after the mods is that it's way heavier than stock. That's good for windy days, but much less snappy for aerobatics. The power to weight is more than twice as good as stock, though, and punchouts are much better.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86172.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	744199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11063.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	744200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53912.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	744201  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 PM

It's a blade CP..........
Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Oh gee, thanks for letting me know. I thought it looked a little funny for a Raptor 90.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Not24

Oh gee, thanks for letting me know. I thought it looked a little funny for a Raptor 90.
No I meant it's a Blade Cp. Expect it to do the wierdest things at the worst times.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Not24,

By your description of the problem, as Mrasmm has suggusted, try turning down the gain a tad on the gyro. Also, I noticed on one of your pictures, it looks like a dual motor set I had. Picture is from the wrong side to tell, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it has slots that the motors are attached and the clearance to the tail rotor are adjustable. You may have one motor that is binding the tail gear. Check the clearance on the motor pinions to the tail gear. It could be a tail motor going bad, I know you don't want to desoldier by trial and error, but as a last resort it's something you may have to do. You could remove one motor and make a test flight and see what happens. If it's still a problem, then your stuck with trying the other motor. Also, don't forget to lubricate the bearing in the tail housing. All part of the hobby. BTW, great pictures of your heli.

See my pictures to see if it's the same one.

Dave / Choppersrule

ORIGINAL: Not24

the main motor is connected. I have completed the brushless and dual tail conversion. Could I have a tail motor going bad on me? If so, how do I know which one to replace? I think one of the tail motors is original, and one is new. I have another new one ready to install, but the soldering is work I don't want to do by trial and error. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68869.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	745248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91216.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	745249  
Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 PM

This is what I did. I replaced the harness to the tail motors and replaced one motor that was obviously weaker than the other as determined by putting my finger on the splines at full throttle. I flew it again, and still had some surging. I also noticed since the blades were new, that I had some vibration. I took the head off and balanced the blades as a unit. No more vibration, no more surging. Smooth as glass now. I found the vibration as the culprit by holding the 4 n 1 steady under power. When I did this, the tail motors settled down. The way it mounts, it can vibrate on the flimsy plastic.

I still have a slight glitch from time to time, but I have always been able to fly thru it. I will have to try flying at another site to see if it persists.

I had an unexpected auto rotation yesterday. Turns out the shaft of the main motor snapped off flush with the motor. Down she came! I found the shaft and spline in the grass and since have told my LHS dealer to get me another motor, hopefully at no charge.

I know all about setting the lash on the gears, and all the splines are free and have a slight amount of freeplay. I also have the upgraded main shaft and gear. It's worth the money. Much better than the stock one.

I have so much power now that I have de-tuned the normal mode to use only 80% power, and my head speed and lift are still very high. I can cut it again with no problems.

Once I get the normal mode thing figured out, I'll go to idle up and start to play around. The way mine is set up right now is how they should be sold from the get go. It's really a nice bird. Someday, it'll get a gyro to smooth the tail out a little more for me, but for now, I'll just use the left stick.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Not24,

Good find on the 4n1 vibration problem and blade balancing. First time I've heard of a shaft on the motor snap off like that.

Sounds like you have everything under control.

Best of Luck,

Dave / Choppersrule