Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 are these blades any good for cp pro? >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

no progress on the wasp at all, been busy looking to enroll in college and buy a new laptop for school
Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 PM

Helistyle,

Good to hear you are going to go to college. It is a good investment.

I went to go charge my new battery pack and I got a low voltage error. So I took a voltmeter to it and it read .016V. So I had to open it back up and there was a bad solder joint. And once I touched the wire it fell off. So I re-soldered it and now it reads the correct voltage. Goes to show I should check the voltage before I shrink wrap the battery.

Nick
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Here is my A123 battery build. I will keep adding more info to this post, but I will do one step at a time, so I don't loose any info.

Step1: Put cells close to each other making sure the polarities are correct. Then I added hot glue in between each cell until I had the desired amount.

Step2: I put electrical tape around the battery on each side to help hold it together.

Step3: I put solder on each connector of each cell.

Step4: Cut wire to the desired legth. Then add solder to each end.

Step5: Attach wire to each connector, so over all the cells will be in series.

Step6: Add balance connectors. I start with the black wire which goes to the negative side. Then I go to the wire next to that and that connects to the positive side of that cell. Then I just keep going to the next wire and next connector until I finish at the positive cell.

Step7: I add electrical tape around the top wires, so that will help keep the wires from being pulled off the connector.

Step8: I add electrical tape to hold the negative wire next to the front of the battery.

Step9: I add electrical tape to hold down the balance wires.

Step10: Check the voltage of the battery to make sure the connections are good!!!!

Step11: Cut the shrink wrap a little longer than the battery and slide it over the battery.

Step12: Take a heat gun and place it near the shrink wrap until it covers the battery neatly. I found that a 100mm shrink wrap works great for the height of one A123 cell width and height. Then I found that a 140mm shrink wrap works great for two A123 cells stacked on top of one another.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35527.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1071744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23609.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1071745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60473.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1071746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81790.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1071747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13387.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1071748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89539.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1071749   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10898.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1071750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69203.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1071751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53668.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1071752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35700.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1071753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33404.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1071754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22593.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1071755  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 PM

I might need this post to add more pictures
Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM

looks pretty cool i wish i had a job and could make money to buy and build helis and electronics and stuff that would be so much fun
Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Nick,

Those packs are looking good...I'll bet you are getting better with each one you do, and faster too.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics...I know it can add to the time it takes to build them...

I got alot done on the 500's swash and rotor head setup. I watched Finless again, and followed it to a "T"...

I got the washout arms, swash, and flybar see saws all level.

Now I just have to set the pitch, and set up the tail and gyro.

And I'll need some good weather for the weekend...LOL!

Glad you caught that bad solder joint...not something you want to have happen later on.

Glenn
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Evan,

Try to enjoy NOT having a job while you can....LOL!!

It's cool at first, but then later on, it starts to get old!

Hey, isn't your birthday in about 20 minutes? Oh, that's my time.....I mean in an hour and 20 minutes?

Glenn
Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 PM

Glenn and Evan,

Thanks for the comments on the batteries. They are a lot of fun to make. I can't wait until my LiPo's die on my 450, so I can make a 3S pack for those. I already have the balance connectors for them.

Glenn cool to hear you are pretty much done with the 500.

You should be able to fly the 500 on Sunday with the wind with no problems. You will probably like the fact that it can handle stronger winds than the B400.

Nick
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 AM

just send me the 450 packs lol that can be your excuse. IM GONNA WANT SOME PACKS REALY BAD ONCE I START FLYING THE B400!!!!!! dont you hate that feeling of wanting extra packs to fly with oh and im gonna take extra care of these ones lol Glenn what is a safe flight time for the stock 1800mah packs
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 AM

Evan,

If the 450 LiPo's were cheaper I would probably send them your way, but not after the money I dumped into them. One battery has over a hundred cycles and I don't plan on it lasting over 300 cycles. And another is around 60.

Yeah make sure you don't over dishcarge them and make sure they are balance good. You can pick up a really cheap voltmeter to make sure they are balanced. And try and don't crash nose first like I did and destroyed a LiPo.

Nick
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM

well im not going to be able to get a good balance charger until like christmas because i wont have enough money to buy one till then
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Glenn ~

Thanks for the weights on your batts... It does help me kind of decide maybe where to place things... Its great were doing this at the same time, as I think we're learning a lot from each other... Hey... I watched your servo video above like 5 times, and My Trex 450 does that same thing with what yours was doing, so don't worry about it... My Trex has been fine flying and everything as you know...

Also... How were you able to decide, on where to place your link ball on your servo arm ? Does it say in the manual on which hole to choose from ? I know the geometry is angled like that for a reason, as Finless goes over this better than I could even muster of the linkages not being at a true 90 etc. etc. But I wanted to know how you decided on your ball placement on your servo arm... With my HS 5245's they come with that little CNC arm, that has a pre-threaded hole which is the second from the very end of the arm... You can see in the pics of which one I'am talking about... Finless uses these same servos and the same arm also. So I'am placing the ball-link on there...

Its VERY hard to tell in your video, but it almost looks like your arm might be 1 hole out to far maybe ? I watched it over and over and its really hard to tell. What makes it even harder, is my links are also not on my arms... But I just used the servo screws to match up the holes on the arms to try and see if maybe you might be to far out... What do you think ? I'am just trying to help ya maybe if there was a difference that you might want to know about... These things are our baby's now, so we need to look out after one another with them ya know ?!... It may be no big deal, and your manual probably says to put them there, and if so just disregard this message then... I can't wait for your first hover or spool-up ! Don't forget to video it !...[8D]

Nick ~

That is very cool your taking the time for the battery build ! I might go with them someday... So its VERY nice to have the info on this thread as a part of history now....

Take care guys, gotta go eat something...

~ Jeff

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM

looking good Jeff nice progress looks like your being nice and ANAL lol

hey thats a bonus i never throw these dudes in lol
Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Jeff,

Your welcome about the battery build. After this one I learned a few ways I can improve the build just like after my first one. It is like setting up the head assembly. I didn't do it perfectly the first time, but after some practice I got better at it. It would be cool if you or Glenn did a A123 setup for the 500 because I would like to see how you guys would do a end to end battery build, since I haven't done one yet.

It looks like you are getting pretty close to finishing the 500 off. Too bad you are sick, so you can't work on it some more. I am anxiously awaiting a vid from you and Glenn flying the 500.

Nick
Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 AM

Nick ~

Well I still got a long ways to go... The only thing I did tonight, was solder a Deans to the esc, and bind the DX-7 to the AR7000 so that I can get the servos all working like there suppose to while following Finless videos in doing so... I just don't have my energy back all quite yet, so after I binded, I called it good for the night...LOL.. I do have to get on Heli-Direct and get my order ready for tommorow nights order placement for those ESP parts to complete the 500 here... I'am more excited on the scale I'am ordering from them finally, like the one you got ! That is going to be so neat to weight something small finally...

Talk with ya later,

~ Jeff

Old 11-14-2008, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Evan T.

looking good Jeff nice progress looks like your being nice and ANAL lol

hey thats a bonus i never throw these dudes in lol
LOL... Yeah huh...?! Does polishing every part count for anal...?!...LMAO... Well guys, I see some U.S. dealers are starting to see some preliminary shipments for the Trex 250 coming in... A few guys over on the Trex forum will be getting there's Thursday... As fast as a few dealers are getting them, there selling out instantly... To bad its the first version. I'll wait until the day any bugs are worked out, and a V2 version comes out. For now, if I did go with the 200 class heli I would choose the new Gaui 200 V2 as it has already proven itself and is perfected even better than the initial release of there fisrt model...

But the 500 is enough to keep me busy for now, and because of it anyway I'am broke !...LMAO...

Take care,

~ Jeff

Oh..... Evan.... ITS FRIDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah booooooooooooyyyyy...!... Sweet huh...?! I'am so excited for ya ! And happy birthday to you sport... Its nice having you onboard here also. Take care feller, and always be safe with that 400........
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 AM
My Feedback: (2)

evdreamer, Im really excited to go back to school, Im actually looking to go for an auto repair techician, and advance from there, I'm having trouble finding a close school to my house. Im looking into going for a year online with penn foster, and then get certicated ase, glenn are you ase certified and exactly how nesscary is that? I have made no progress on the wasp v3 and believer it or not guys I'm selling it, I know it sucks but I just don't think I can afford to fix that thing, needs more parts and I need a new laptop for school, Im keeping the walkera 4#3b because I can always practice everything on that, and Im deff keeping my dx6i and ar6100. I can't mess around with no name brand helicopters anymore I have learned my lesson with this one lol Its going to be a blade 400 or nothing now, so hopefully with alittle will power saving I will get one soon
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM

Hey Evan,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

On the stock B400 pack. the radio will come with the timer set at 4 minutes, and 30 seconds...this is a good place to start with, if you are going to try to fly it right out of th box.

You can probably get a little more than that, since you'll mostly be hovering and such...

If you reduce the headspeed, like I mentioned before, you should be able to safely stretch it out to about 6 minutes. Be sure to learn how to use the countdown timer, and remember to use it!

And, above all, please take the time to read the manual, and perform all the pre-flight checks! These are ready to fly....but it is ALWAYS a good idea to check everything as per the manual before you fly.

And remember to be careful! Getting hit by a CP is one thing...getting hit by a B400 is quite another....I speak from first hand experience here!! Keep your distance from the heli, always, treat it with respect, and you'll be fine!

Gotta go, I'm at work..

Glenn
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Hey Heli,

Sorry to hear that you are selling the Wasp, but it sounds like it's for the better...yeah, save up for a B400...the most bang for your buck out there...and you already have the radio..

Yep, I have all 8 of my ASE's...have had them for the past 30 years now...and as a rule, yes, they are important to have. It depends on the individual shop, some place alot of emphasis on them, others, not so much....but definately a major asset when looking for a job.

Glad to hear that you are pursuing a job in the automotive field. It is rapidly changing, and there is/will always be a demand for techs...

Just put 100% into it, and you will do well...

The school sounds great....just remember, like anything else, there is no substitute for experience.... I took 3 years of auto tech in high school...and the guys in the class would complain every time the teacher made us take a test...and then he told us something that is so true, I have never forgotten it...

He said .. "you'd better get used to taking tests...because out in the field, every day, there will be a test"..... Those words are so true....

Talk to ya,

Glenn

Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM

Jeff,

Your build is coming along nicely!!

You are welcome on the battery weight specs...I think it helps us both figure things out somewhat...like me, I want packs very similar to yours, that way, I could avoid having to buy a new charger, since my C505 will do 5S packs...unless of course, I go the A123 like Nick has....

I put the ball studs in those holes because my manual specifically said to...now I don't know if that means that I HAVE to....but I figured I'd go with what Align said to begin with...I'll post a pic later if I remember...I am guessing that your manual didn't state which hole to use?

Boy, speaking of broke....I'm glad I got the 500 when I did....here it is at 8:50AM, and we have NO WORK...hmmmm, can't buy too many batteries like this!! LOL

It looks pretty grim for the holiday season as well....so it's good that I got my big purchase done and out of the way while I could...

Nick,

Thanks again on the battery build details, it really helps to understand what's involved. It should be like old school to me from the RC car days....we built packs all the time like that...the only difference was we used aftermarket "battery bars"....heavy copper strips, instead of actual wire...but the end result is the same...

The big key is, of course as you well know, proper solder joints...one bad or cold solder, and you're going to have an issue. I'm sure all your joints are excellent, and look great in the pics....but I have seen my share of "soldering impaired" people in my time....so it might not be for everyone! LOL!

If I did mine, I'd have to dig up my UNGAR heavy duty station from back in the RC car days....that is one HEAVY DUTY iron...we were hard wiring the car batts, I think I mentioned...got pretty darn good at making heavy duty solder joints!

Gotta go...

Glenn
Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Glenn ~

O.K. I figured your manual must have said so... I just wanted to make sure, the video was deceiving... Yeah my manual also shows where and how far to place the balls on the arms for different servos that you may use, just not for the Align servos. My manual says from the center of the screwhole on the arm, to the hole to place the ball it should be 16 to 16.5 mm... Yeah I'am glad I got mine also ! If the weather wasn't so gusty windy, it would be better to try and fly it for next week ! Hek... Its still so dry here in Cali, that there's still wildfires going on... There's a big one that just started up again about an hour or so away... In Washington, its wet, windy, and cold at this time of year... Its suppose to be in the middle to upper 80's here this weekend.

Take care Glenn ! Hopefully ya don't have to work tomorrow so you can do more on the 500.... I gotta go to work.........

~ Jeff
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Hey guys,

Well, I just had a reply to my post on HF regarding the servo issue, and he says he's built two of these 500's and both have a servo that acts like that...

So, I"ll chalk up one more response in the "OK" column...LOL!!

Glenn
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Glenn,

Sorry to hear work is slow for you, so you can't get some more batteries soon. And good to hear you got another conformation that your servo is ok. One of my 5S packs aren't balancing very well. When on the TP charger the difference keeps increasing and never decreasing. So I hooked it up to my FP balancer and hope that helps a little more since I don't care if the balance gets big unlike a LiPo. My adaptor shipped out today for the Hyperion charger, so hopefully I can use it soon. My one way bearing shaft is back ordered from Horizon, so I am tempted to just go buy one since it seems like most everything is back ordered from them for a long time.

Last night I started looking for some info on balancing batteries on RCGroups under their DIY section. I just think my problem is the balancer can't move that much current for the amount it needs to when charging at high rates. So maybe I can design one. I feel that it is a little safer to test it on the A123 instead of the LiPo's if I didn't design it correctly.

Evan,

Happy B-Day.

Nick
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Nick,

Yeah, work is a bit slow, so no new batteries for a while....but that's OK...'cause I got the Efite 2100 pack from Horizon that I ordered yesterday.

So I will have two working packs for the 500, plus three 1800 packs for the B400 still. I will have kinda short flight times with both helis that way, but it's all good, I imagine the 500 is going to be a bit stressful, even if it is very stable, as I certainly don't want to crash it any time soon.

Sorry to hear about the charging/balance issues...I guess you are one of the pioneers with the A123's, so there are bound to be hiccups along the way...I'm sure you will figure it out in time.

Ditto on the experimenting with the A123's over the LiPo's any day! They seem like pretty tough cells.

I am just about totally convinced now that the servo issue will be fine...it's just weird... I have not heard back from Align yet.

That is terrible that the one way shaft is on backorder...wonder why? It sure seems like Eflite/Horizon have a hard time keeping pace with the demand for some reason.

I just flew the Quark at work a little while ago. I had forgotten how much fun that little heli can be. I also brought my Interlink for G4, and did some simming earlier too. Might as well take advantage of the slow period at work...

Gotta run,

Glenn
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Glenn,

Good to hear you are flying the Quark again and using the sim on your down time.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.