Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 are these blades any good for cp pro? >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn,

I got four flights in so far and planning to get one more in before it gets dark. It was very windy and 97 degrees out, but I had to go fly anyways. I have been practicing doing backwards figure 8's in the other direction. I am getting pretty close to the 100th flight of the T-Rex. Then I will oil the bearings.

By the way you described the wind it could have carried away the Quark ending up in a crash. I am sure you don't want another rebuild.

Good luck with the CPP and new G110. My GY401 is acting kind of weird since I put it on the T-Rex. It will be in HH mode on the ground then when I land it will be blinking. And I can notice the tail is drifting a little bit. But I tried flipping my HH switch at a different time and it seems to be working just fine now.

Nick
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Nick,

Wow, 100 flights?! I had no idea you were clocking up that many flights already with the T-Rex. I have lost count on the flights on the B400, but I would guess it's between 75-90 or so.

Yeah, the Quark really doesn't like wind very much, like the Gaui, it is very light. With the Gaui, at least it has quicker response to react to the wind better. The Quark is better suited to indoors or very light winds outside.

I figured I'd go with the G110, since I know it will work well in the Gaui if I needed it. I was briefly thinking of getting a better gyro for hte Gaui, and using the G110 in the CPP. But, I am having no issues whatsoever with the G110 in the Gaui at all, at least not at this point in my pilot experience level. I am sure that the better gyros are alot better, but I probably wouldn't notice or appreciate it enough to justify the cost.

The Microheli tail is very nice, and it turned out great. I can't honestly say that there is a huge difference in control, but it seems a bit more responsive to rudder inputs. I also had a bit of wag when I first test flew it, but it seems to have settled down now.

I went to the bicycle shop today and got some Tri Flow. I meant to get some with the last order from Helihobby, but forgot. Instead of having the shipping costs of another order, I just got some locally. I couldn't decide whether to get the aerosol, or the bottle, so I got both.

Glad you figured out your gyro issue.

I'm really hooked on the sim lately, I think it really helped my flying yesterday. I spent 4 hours on the sim yesterday, mostly with the Gaui 200 model, which is pretty close to the real thing. That is, it's very difficult to fly on the sim...I actually found it easier to fly the real thing once I had that much time on the sim.

Hope you have fun on your last pack.

Glenn
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Glenn,

I keep a small flight log for the CX, CPP, Belt CP, and now the T-Rex. I just keep track of the cycles for the batteries on a spreadsheet then I use a simple formula to calculate how many flights I have done and when I need to do preventive maintenance.

Good to hear the G110 is working good on the Gaui and that you have a little more response out of the tail with the MicroHeli tail.

I use Tri Flow on all of my helicopters. I like it a lot. I put some on the bearings of a new helicopter and after every 100 flights. I also put it on the main shaft around the swashplate and washout arms and on the tail shaft. Then I clean the shafts every couple of flights and put another couple of drops on them. I didn't know Tri Flow had some lithium grease or I would have gotten that instead of some TRAXXAS lithium for the thrust bearings.

Good to hear you are enjoying the sim. I haven't used mine for awhile.

I am starting to go a little faster in the backward figure 8 now. For some reason I am less scared flying backwards than I am flying forwards.

Nick

Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Nick,

I also keep log books, but not on the number of flights, just details about setups, repairs, measurments, etc.

I probably should keep track.

Yeah, alot of people swear by Tri Flow. I used to use it alot on my dirt bikes, on the cables and stuff like that. Works great. It's a bit expensive, but a little goes a long ways.

The main reason I got it was to lube the new Microheli tail and shaft. I will also use it as you mentioned on the main shaft as well.

I am slowly getting better at backwards flight on the sim. It's very difficult for me, I often get mixed up and turn the wrong direction when going backwards. I think I can chalk up a couple of real life crashes to not knowing what to do when the heli starts going backwards, so it is something I need to learn soon.

That is weird that you feel more comfortable going backwards than forwards...I would think it would be the other way around.

Yesterday, I was doing pretty well flying towards me, nose in. I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it now. I also was doing circles both left and right, with no problems, but was doing better to the right still. I am trying to build up to doing figure 8's in the opposite direction I am comfortable with. I can do it on the sim...and I can do it with the Quark...but not the B400 or Gaui yet...at least I haven't tried. Well, I'll take that back. I have done it with the B400, but on a very, very small scale.
Like a figure 8 in a 10 foot space, mostly out of piros...LOL

Well, I'm going to sim for a while...take care.

Glenn
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Glenn,

The main reason I am keeping record of the cycles is to see how long the batteries last. Then I can just add them up for all my batteries and get how many flights I have done.

I don't know if you noticed this yet but in backwards flight the rudder and aileron sticks always move in opposite directions to turn. For example if you want to do a right turn add right aileron and left rudder. That is the same idea on how to do funnels. It took me awhile to figure that out.

Yeah I can fly pretty fast backwards close to me and feel in control, but if it is coming fowards to me it is intimidating and I don't feel comfortable.

It sounds like you are getting better. Have fun on the sim.

Nick
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Glenn,

I thought this was interesting, so I will pass it along. I don't know if you heard of Curits Youngblood, but he designed a pretty cool helicopter. The piro rate on the first video is extremely fast. http://www.curtisyoungblood.com/products_view.php?id=35

Nick

Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
My Feedback: (2)

just put my cp pro back together, and I also sprayed the canopy a florescent red color so I can see it better, I had trouble seeing it when it was silver, yes I have bad eyes lol, should get some flying time it tonight, o also has anyone heard anything about the gws direct drive conversion for the cp pro, I heard it is alot better then the stock tail motor and its only like 20 bucks
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

I have a GWS motor. I don't know if it was just my motor, but one of the holes was too big for the CPP screws. Then the other one worked just fine with the stock CPP tail motor screw. Anyways all you need is the motor. With a little bit of trimming of the stock tail motor mount you can fit the motor in and it has the same hole pattern as the stock motor. And I could never find a hardware set for the motor or a screw that would fit that one hole, so I never got to fly with it.

Nick
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM

yeah they acutally sell a conversion kit for it which the link is right here[link=http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=8605]Gws motor conversion[/link]

it looks like it might be worth a shot
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM

Heli, Nick,

I just ordered one of those this morning! It should be here in time for the weekend. I may dust off the CPP, and install the G110, set it all up from scratch, and install the DD tail kit...

I am at work, and kinda busy, I'll write more later....

Glenn
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM

sweet you gotta let us know how it works, im actually thinking of picking one up as well
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Heli,

Yeah, I couldn't resist, for roughly twice the cost of a stock CPP motor, it's worth the chance...

I am just wondering if it's going to make the heli too tail heavy...I may have to place my battery further forward to compensate.

One guy on the other CPP motor thread was saying that the tail rotor just presses on, and may have an issue with falling off. I will see, maybe a drop of glue is all that's needed...

I will have a project for this weekend now...as long as I don't have a major crash before then! LOL

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Have you done any flying today?

Glenn
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM

nah didnt get around to any flying today, which kinda sucks because it was nice out, hoefully tommorrw i will get some flying in
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Nick,

Wow, that video of the Rave is crazy, super fast piro's for sure! Looks like a really cool heli, if not an expensive heli. Yeah, I have heard of him, like one of the best in the world?

I want to say thank you for the tip on flying backwards and the sticks being opposite...it would have taken me forever to figure that out! I still suck at flying backwards, but have tried the stick movements you suggested, and it at least seems possible now!

I didn't fly today. Too many people at two different fields. I was tired anyways. I'll just sim...and make up the time that I didn't fly.

Hope school and everything is going well.

Poor JPEE had to endure that earthquake out there in California...he's OK though.

Hope you got some time in to fly.

Did you see the link to the DD tail I am getting for the CPP?

Heck, it doesn't even cost much more than a stock CPP motor, so it's worth a shot...

Glenn
Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Glenn,

It will be interesting to see how that DD motor turns out. In one of my magazines a guy used that motor with the stock mount and cut a couple inches off the boom. I can't remember the exact amount, but that might help the balance if it is tail heavy.

My blade went on really tight onto the motor, but since I never got to use it I don't know if mine would fall off. A little bit of glue wouldn't be that hard to break off if the rotor was ever damaged.

I really like that it uses a torque tube instead of a belt. I don't like messing with belts and would rather use a torque tube. I think it will be pretty expensive since Curtis designed it, but it should be a great machine since he is a mechanical engineer. Yeah Curtis Youngblood has won the most competitions than anyone else. That website had a nice biography of him that I found interesting.

Your welcome on the tips. I still have trouble doing some types of backwards flight, but I am slowly learning the harder stuff. If you need any more tips on stick movements I would be glad to help out.

I didn't fly either. I had a busy morning then before I knew it I had to go to work.

I have two big tests tomorrow morning, so I should have gone to bed a long time ago. But I got home late from work and I want to finish this post up.

I didn't even know California had a earthquake. It is good to hear JPEE is all right.

Yeah I have seen that upgrade before, but I have been disappointed in many of the upgrades I have bought before so I didn't want to dump anymore money into something I was unsure about.

Nick
Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 PM

well i had 2 successful flights with the cp pro, doing turns and forward flight, nice and easy getting the hang of it and really fun to fall. then I took out the cx2 and was flying to aggressive with it again trying to do stuff that it isn't capable of doing, 30 feet in the air and caught a tree and it crashed really hard nose first, shattered the canopy in tons of pieces, bent the flybar pretty bad and broke the landing gear, it sucked lol my little brother loved seeing it crash though
Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Good to hear you had a good flight today with the CPP. Sorry to hear about the crash with the CX2, but you won't hear of any helicopter pilot that hasn't crashed before. I try not to think about the crashing part and enjoy when the helicopter comes back in one piece. A lot of people say the trees grab their helicopters in flight.

Nick
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Hey Heli, Nick,

Glad to hear you had a great CPP day Heli! Sounds like you had a really bad CX2 day though!! Sorry to hear about that. Trees claim many an RC heli, that is for sure! Like Nick said, I think they come out an grab your heli right out of the air !! LOL

Yup, every heli pilot has crashes. I wonder how many crashes the pros have had over their careers? They probably get all their helis and parts for free, or nearly free, so what do they care?

Yeah, I am very curious how this DD tail motor deal will work out. That is a good idea on cutting the tailboom to move the CG forward some. I will have to check the blade to shaft fit when I get mine. The guy on the CPP motor thead,(500lb koolaid man) that got me going on this says he has no problems with the CG after installing the DD tail setup.

I think I am going to approach it from a complete start-from-scratch method....starting with 90'ing the servos, leveling the swash, and the whole bit. I am so far off my settings trying to "tame" it, I think I need to start all over. Last time I flew it, it was so tame that it had almost no lift.

I was concentrating on getting a steady hover; now I just want to see it fly, like in figure 8's, banked turns, and stuff like that, and not sweat how it hovers. I think after flying the Gaui in real life, and on the sim, I am more prepared for the CPP now.

Plus, before, I was trying to fly it in the shop at work, where there is really not enough room to fly a CPP...so I had to make it hover well.

BRB, I don't want to time out...

Glenn
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM

Nick, Heli,

Anyways, my hours of sim time lately has paid off. I just got back from flying two packs with the B400. I concentrated on one basic thing, doing the figure 8's the other way around. And I did it. They were not pretty, by any means, in fact, some were pretty ugly. But, I did actually do a few decent ones.

It's still pretty scary seeing the B400 coming straight at you, hoping you don't flip out and move the sticks the wrong way, but I got through it...

Nick, I got my spare see saws for the Gaui today from Helihobby. They were right on time. I have no issues now with Helihobby except that I still don't get any confirmation whatsoever on the order or shipping....it just shows up. I should be good on those for a while.

I still didn't maintain the altitude that I should have been doing today in practice. But I will try again next time. I feel as though the heli is safer up high, but if something goes wrong, it could be a worse crash from up high...I guess it's kinda a double edged sword at times.

Glenn
Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Glenn,

There is a new helicopter company and they are looking to sponser people. Too bad I am not a pro yet, because I would like free helicopter stuff. LOL

I assume you are going to use the DX6i or are you going to use the stock transmitter. The DD motor would probably show a bigger difference with a good transmitter compared to the stock one.

Did you get to fly today?

It was hot again here, so I waited until 6 or 7 and got 3 flights in. I am feeling more comfortable flying figure 8's in the four upright positions. And my backward figure 8's in the other direction are looking better now.

Nick
Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Glenn,

By the time I got done typing you answered my question about flying. I guess I need to type faster.

I guess we both got to work on the hard direction of the figure 8 today.

Good to hear you got your see saw arms. I hope the spare blades I have sitting around work on the T-Rex, because they are rated for 600RPM slower than what I am running right now.

I should practice up higher like you are, but I loose orientations easier than eye level. I guess that is the next thing I should pracitice.

Nick
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Nick,

Yeah, the DX6i for sure on the CPP. I need it for the expo and pitch/throttle curves, sub trims, etc.

I set the pitch curve on the B400 so that I have more head speed, I am getting more comfortable with a bit more headspeed/power lately. It still is nothing like the Gaui, which has a hair trigger throttle response. But it is easier to maintain altitude when it drops down suddenly from a wind gust or thermal or whatever makes it drop like a rock from time to time. (settling with power?)

I also need to get the heli up higher. I will do that more when I get a chance to fly at the baseball field. Someone is having like an baseball marathon up there, people there every night playing on MY FLYING FIELD!! LOL!

So I have been flying at the industrial park. It makes me nervous to fly up high there, I almost lost the B400 on a rooftop one time at an industrial park. The buildings are only 2 stories, so it could happen. That is one major reason I don't fly high when I'm there. Can you imagine how terrible that would be to have your heli stuck up on a rooftop somewhere? And having to go there the next morning to explain that you need to go up on their roof to get your model helicopter? LOL

I am still reluctant to fly in front of people. For some reason, I get nervous when people are watching me, and I make mistakes. It's like they are there watching, and waiting to see me crash..LOL (they probably are!) So I try to go places where no one is around. At least for now. Once I get better and more confident, I'll probably be good with it.

I should have flown the Gaui tonight, it was dead calm out. But I was determined to get at least one figure 8 done, and it would be a LOT harder with the Gaui, for certain. Not so much that it would be harder to do...it would be harder to WATCH if I crashed it. I would rather crash both B400's than crash the Gaui. The B400 is alot easier to rebuild! And cheaper too.

Glad to hear school is going well.

Glenn
Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Glenn,

I used to fly with a high headspeed, but I got really bad flight times. So I went to a medium headspeed and still can do the stuff I want too.

I feel the same way when there are people at my baseball field. It would be nice if there was a field near me just for flying helicopters.

That would be pretty funny to ask to get the helicopter down. I actually got my CX stuck on my roof once. I just used a little throttle and it rolled down the roof.

I don't like flying in front of people either, because I am afraid of making a mistake and hitting someone. If they were far from me and the helicopter I would feel better about flying in front of people.

It sounded like you had fun flying today.

I ran across this website http://www.littlerotors.com/flyinglessons/index.aspx and it had some moves that I want to work on. I saw it before, but never took a close look at it.

Nick
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Nick,

Yeah, today was fun. It's always a good day when I can apply something new that I have learned, and it works at least a little bit. And of course, it's always a plus to do something new and not crash doing it.

I was just checking out the link you sent, and it's very cool and informative. I am sure I will refer to it quite a bit.

I just got done doing some slow figure 8's on the sim with the Gaui, in the hard direction. It's hard to maintain good figure 8's with the Gaui on the sim. It always finds a way to get away from me!

I think I am making progress though...the heli I used to fly alot on the sim a .30 nitro is so easy to fly now, it's unreal. It's like slow motion. I think it is good to practice with a very responsive heli, as it is easier to go to a slower responding heli than it is to go from a slow one to a very quick one like the Gaui on the G4.

LOL, I can remember when I had a hard time manuvering the Heli Max EZ...a heli like a CX2!! Now, that is progress!

Gotta go,

Glenn
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Glenn,

I don't know how you practice your figure 8's, but I learned an easy way for me today. I don't do banked turns, I go slow, and stop and hover in the crossing area. Once I have control then I go around the other way and stop in the center again. Then once I felt comfortable doing that I started to do slight banked turns and going slow in the crossing area and not stopping. Then I just slowly increased the speed. It seemed to help me doing the backward figure 8's today. I am just throwing an idea of how I do it, but you do what ever works for you. I also used a similar process on how to do the funnels and I was doing one by the fourth pack.

The Nitros react a lot quicker than my T-Rex on the sim. Then when I try to do something in real life after the sim it goes a lot slower than I expect.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.