Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 are these blades any good for cp pro? >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

Sorry to hear about your puffed cell. That is why I like my A123's so much. They are a safe investment and it would take a lot to distroy one of them. That is good that you are using two packs on your 500.

Sorry to hear about your blinky balancer too.

I have been having fun with my free electronics simulator today. I made a crude power supply and it seems like it could work in real life, but it wouldn't be that efficient.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 AM

Post removed by author JPEE

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 AM

Hey Nick,

That puffed cell pack was one of the two I was re-charging tonight but at a low C factor if you look at the post above this.

That cool you made a crudepower supply, winding motors...where will it stop? You are the MAN!

Smiles JPee
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 AM

JPEE ~

Yeah that sucks big time ! Tell em' I said to stick em' where the sun don't shine.... I would honestly think the TP balancer would probably be much more accurate and do a better job anyway, and someday I'll get it. Right now I'am afraid to change anything as I've had good luck with no lipo's ever puffing yet. (knock on wood). A few posts back that TP lipo is about 16 1/2 months old and still flat as a board, and still kickin' it...

I'am a firm believer that ya pay for what ya get so a $30.00 balancer compared to a $100.00 TP balancer is probably a night and day diff possibly, and so I'am pretty sure you'll be sitting pretty once ya get the new balancer.

Sorry to hear about that......[>:][][&:][:@]

~ Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 AM

JPEE,

I didn't physically make a power supply, but used a simulator on my computer to see what the ouput would be like with my design. I want to design a power supply to charge my 10S 600 pack at 10A, which is about 330W. I have been reading up on switch-mode power supplies and electrical engineers say it is really hard to do. So it looks like I have a steep learning curve.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 AM

Nick,

10-4 gotcha on now. But a challange, they are so wonderful. The sense of acomplishment whne your done, even if you fail a few times getting make sit all worth while. You'll do well.

Yes Jeff your right on both cases. If it works done mess with it. And yes your right, if a $30.00 Blinkie just gets the job done, then think what a $100.00 balancer can do a great job..ya hoo!
Jeff you wont believe this. I just looked up CommonSense Co. and they are walking distance from my house. My cross street is 18543 Devonshire. They are at
21744 Devonshire St. just up the road. I think I'll stop in on Thursday and ask a few questions and seek their input as to my problems.

JPEE
Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Well here it is.... Its been a memory for awhile with my CPP's and I only could really only hover them before. I got the Trex 450, and never looked back and so they sat since then. I got interested with it again after seeing the hype about the new CPP 2 that just came out, and how much better they improved it to fly. One problem though with the one I was going to fly... It has a vibration so intense that it shakes the heli violently. In the video you really can't see it like in real life as its shaking fierce, but around the 30 second mark look at the white antenna hanging off the bird and you can see it shaking watching that, and you almost can hear it from the rotors shuttering. I've got a new main shaft, spindle, and flybar and even replaced the dampners, but didn't cure the shakes... Anyway, I ended up just taking the dampners out and replacing them with ball bearings and it helped a bit for some odd reason but still shakes bad. I'll work on finding the problem, and tear it completely down and start over...

So what do ya do ?.... Go fly it anyway !.... LMAO.... And that I did. The CPP is about 16 months old and also has a lot of slop in the head from many crashes. My other one is newer with new parts but rests inside a Hughes fuselage which I don't plan on wrecking quite yet as you can see in my gallery under my profile...Lol...

So my older one I flew today is completely stock with the stock TX except for having carbon fiber main and tail blades and an additional weight on the flybar which I had needed back in the day but soon will be taking off. I also upgraded to EC3 connectors instead of using the JST connectors, but that's it... The heli weighs 312 grams so is a bit heavy from its stock weight of 298 grams, in which I'am going to reduce as much weight now as I can to increase the disc-loading to help it out some. I see the new CPP 2 weighs in at 325 g's and with the improvements seems like it would have a good power to weight ratio.

I've been fortunate with the weak tail motor on this thing since I've owned it and only on my second one but I'am thinking I should maybe get a new one to see if the tail will hold a little better until I wait for money to fall out of the sky to purchase the new CPP 2. The rear tail motors were the weak link on these and never lasted very long for many who've owned the CP/CPP's... I'am not sure why I've been lucky with the tail motor but thinking that maybe it could be that I fly in a cooler environment in Washington State, and that from day one I've been flying with the CF blades. The CF tail rotor weighs 2.73 grams compared to the stock plastic one which is 3.81 grams. Less load, less stress, better effeciency.....I've never broke the CF mains or the CF tail rotors yet... The headpseed isn't powerful enough I'am thinking to cause much damage, and believe me, I've crashed plenty trying to learn on this thing as my first heli.

If I get the newer CPP 2 I'am gonna miss the CF rear tail rotor, as it seems it won't be compatible with the set-up there using now with the heavier plastic rotor they have on now, but shouldn't be a problem anyway since the motor is a more powerful one. But still, to make it even better I'll try and find a way to adapt the CF one to fit, unless they come out with one to fit.

The beauty of the CPP or any FP for that matter that blows my Trex 450 away, is the simplicity, and durability of the craft. In the video the crash at the end resulted in a bent spindle and that's it. Not even a scratch on the canopy... $5.00 and 15 minutes later and she's ready to go shake again in the air ! Now how's that for cheap entertainment eh ?!

It will never fly like my Trex's, but it sure is a blast in a smaller space that's for sure !

I'll return it to the air with it set-up properly now, and it should provide double the results for the next flight.... I can't wait to get the new CPP 2 ! The first thing I'll do is strip it of some weight, like losing the horizontal fin on the boom that is unnecessary. I'll be in it for performance not looks.

I need to bind the heli to my DX7, as I miss my throttle hold which I could have used at the end when it decided to sample the dirt !

Here's the video of yesterdays flight with the CPP...

http://vimeo.com/3464598

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: JPEE

Nick,

10-4 gotcha on now. But a challange, they are so wonderful. The sense of acomplishment whne your done, even if you fail a few times getting make sit all worth while. You'll do well.

Yes Jeff your right on both cases. If it works done mess with it. And yes your right, if a $30.00 Blinkie just gets the job done, then think what a $100.00 balancer can do a great job..ya hoo!
Jeff you wont believe this. I just looked up CommonSense Co. and they are walking distance from my house. My cross street is 18543 Devonshire. They are at
21744 Devonshire St. just up the road. I think I'll stop in on Thursday and ask a few questions and seek their input as to my problems.

JPEE

JPEE ~

WOW ! Talking about a small world... Ask them for me also why they thought it was necessary to suffocate the circuitry with the tight plastic wrap... I really didn't plan on using mine in the rain, but ask them what there intentions were eh ?!.........
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM

Jeff,

SWEET!

Nothing like dusting off a heli after so long, and bringing it back to life!

Looked great, and it is hard to see the vibration in the vid, but it sure didn't seem to affect the stability or anything too much!

LOL, you need to do a comparison video post, take that one from your first days you posted a few days ago, in the garage, with training gear, to now...LOL

That is the beauty of videoing stuff, esp from the start, so you can look back, and (hopefully) laugh, and appreciate how far you have progressed...

Keep at it, it's looking great, and good luck tracking down the vibration, I'm sure it can't be too hard to find....there isn't much to it..LOL

Nice vid, nice flying!

I can't wait to get my CPP2 up in the air soon....as you pointed out, they are awesome for those times you don't have alot of room, which is the case for me, most of the time!!

Glenn
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Glenn ~

Yeah well I still blame you for getting my feet wet with the CPP's again...(And I thank-you..) Yeah its really hard to see the vibration, and the only way to really see it was by the antenna shaking horribly... I love this thing now ! BUT.... I'am not going to get to attached, as I really want the newer CPP 2 shortly here in time hopefully. I might be landing a big landscaping contract if I get the bid on it so we'll see... If so, I'am all over that CPP 2 !

Its amazing how you can make something fly when you don't care about it....LMAO... [8D]

~ Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote;

Its amazing how you can make something fly when you don't care about it....LMAO... [8D]

Jeff,

LOL, yeah, it is amazing, that is one of the great things about the CP/ CPP/ CPP2....

Funny how careful I was, and how upset I got when I crashed it when it was new...and how COMPLICATED that rotor head looked at the time...LOL[X(]

Glenn

Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Jeff,

I saw the shacking around 37 seconds in.

They probably use shrink wrap on the balancer, so no one puts the balancer on a metal object and creates a short. Then they won't get sued over it. It also probably saves some money than making a case for it too.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

Just got done playing with the CPP2 and DX6i combo, and I think I've got it down...it seems you have to put the throttle trim all the way down on the DX6i, to better synchronize the tail and main motors, otherwise, the tail motor starts up prematurely...or at least that is what mine did....

Seems to be ready to go, I hovered it in the kitchen, and all looks pretty good, maybe some outdoor flights on Friday at lunch, or definitely over the weekend, wind permitting...

Nick,

Great points about the shrink wrap on the ESC for shorting protection, and a way to avoid the cost of a plastic or metal case..

What kind of electronic sim did you get? Is if for your class? On the PC? Or a kit?

Hmmm, remember how I was talking about MOSFET whine? The ESC on the CPP2 does that, just like my old RC car ESC's with MOSFETS used to...gotta be something about brushed motor ESC's that is different than brushless....maybe the frequency.

I may make a vid of it, since you all probably think I am crazy or something....talking about my MOSFETS that whine...LMAO!!

Now, I will see soon how badly I damaged all my CPP batteries from back in the days before I had the C505...and any knowledge of Lipos to speak of....lol[X(]

Glenn
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Glenn,

Good to hear you figured the tail out when using the DX6i.

The simulator I downloaded is called 5SPICE for my computer. It was free, so I wanted to try it out. I don't need it for my class, but it sure helps me get a better understanding of what the instructor talks about and applying it on the sim. It can show the current, Voltage, phase shifts, frequencies, and many more that I don't use for a given component. Then it shows a graph of what the component is doing. I was having a hard time finding out the impedence, Voltage, and phase shifts with series-parallel inductor, capacitor, and resistor circuits and the sim helped me prove I was doing the math correctly.

If the switching frequency on the ESC is below 20KHz then the human ear can hear it. I don't think you are crazy when you talk about the FETs whining.

It is 50 degrees, so I am going to try and fly. Now that everyone is making videos again I am going to try and get another vid of me flying. It is kind of windy, so I will do my best to get a vid in if I can.

Good thing I did a pre-flight check because one of my ball joints backed out.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Nick,

Sounds like that electrical sim is helping you out alot with class...cool stuff!

Yeah, I am glad I figured out the DX6i on the CPP2, the stock radio isn't too bad, but I would miss the timer, and I don't like the manual trims, if you bump them, etc...

Have fun flying...hope the wind dies down...glad you found the loose link in your pre-flight..

Glenn
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Jeff,

I saw the shacking around 37 seconds in.

They probably use shrink wrap on the balancer, so no one puts the balancer on a metal object and creates a short. Then they won't get sued over it. It also probably saves some money than making a case for it too.

Nick

Yeah I figured the wrap is there to protect the circuits, as that's a no-brainer, but they should have went the extra step and aknowledged the buyer that it would be recommended to remove the wrap to relieve the circuitry of heat and to not place it on any metal objects or take baths with it () and somehow have a disclosure writing in the instructions that they wouldn't be liable if they burned it up from them being careless of where they use it. I just use it on a piece of glass 9" by 11" that rests by my chargers... It would have been cheaper probably to get sued then, instead of having tons of them returned or damaged from them overheating with the tight wrap. To do that just doesn't make sense, and you think there electronical geniouses would know that...Lol... But then again, maybe they make a killing from guys burning them up, and just buying another... They work great, but you have to remove the wrap to release the heat buildup. Its just around the corner, and mine will be a year and a half old.

My next balancer however will be something like JPEE got that I can use in conjunction with my TP charger, so I can see the readout of what the cells are at and all that good stuff !

Yeah that would be awesome for another video Nick ! I was bored just a few days ago and was re-watching some of your videos... [8D] I can't wait to be as good as you ! Dang it ! I know, I know, in time......

Take care Nick,

~ Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Glenn,

Here is my video I made today of the 450. One of my blades wasn't tracking during the vid, but I fixed it now. The sound seemed like it was pretty low and I didn't see the watch in high quality, so it isn't the best looking vid. I also didn't get half of my flight, but least you guys can get an idea of what I have been practicing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kw6fddkPls

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

Jeff,

Their electrical engineers probably realize that the heat shrink shouldn't be there. My dad was telling me that the electrical engineers he works with design a reliable circuit, but management with no electrical background take short cuts on parts that should be rated for more power and Voltage just to save a couple of bucks. Maybe the people who design the balancers are in the same boat.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Glenn,

Here is my video I made today of the 450. One of my blades wasn't tracking during the vid, but I fixed it now. The sound seemed like it was pretty low and I didn't see the watch in high quality, so it isn't the best looking vid. I also didn't get half of my flight, but least you guys can get an idea of what I have been practicing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kw6fddkPls

Nick

Nick ~

That was so sweet ! [8D] Your getting better I can surely see that.... Doesn't You-Tube make it high quality if they see that the video can be ? Or did they change it to where you have to click something to make it high quality ? Reason being, is I also rewatched Glenn's newer video of the CPP 2 again the other day and they still didn't make it high quality and he said normally his are..... And I had that video already downloaded yesterday evening on You-Tube with my CPP but they also never made it high quality like they usually do for mine also, so I said the hek with it and erased it and then downloaded it to Vimeo....

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Jeff,

Their electrical engineers probably realize that the heat shrink shouldn't be there. My dad was telling me that the electrical engineers he works with design a reliable circuit, but management with no electrical background take short cuts on parts that should be rated for more power and Voltage just to save a couple of bucks. Maybe the people who design the balancers are in the same boat.

Nick

Oh I see..... Gotcha...That could be huh....?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Jeff,

The only thing I did different with this vid is put it on a flash drive from my dad's computer and uploaded it onto youtube on my computer. I used to just put it on a CD then uploaded it from there, but on all my previous videos it would start out in the worst quality and I had the option to hit high quality. I haven't uploaded a vid in a long time, so they might have changed the way they upload videos now. Oh well, at least you could see the video.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Nick ~

Yeah that's how mine used to be also, a little blurry but then you had the option to hit the high quality button and it came out better.... Hmmmm weird. I think they messed it up when they started to experiment with the now HD option. Goofballs.... Lol... Your video came out fine for me... My camera is like 8 years old and outdated and I have to tweak it a little for better quality with Nero. I'am gonna wait until JPEE's sleeping and snag his.... [8D]

~ Jeff
Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Jeff,

Dont know if you noticed but I have pulled "that companies" name from all of my converstations here on past posts. I want to give them a chance and see what they say in all fairness. Now I did go over there today and boy oh boy were they hard to find. They are in a store front next to other businesses on the sidewalk with "no signage". I just kept looking for the address and there was a blank no discript store front which was them. I opened the glass door and there was a steel wrought iron door behind that. I staff member came to the steel gate and informed me the guy I needed to talk to was at lunch. She gave me his card and said give him a call, NOT. Tomorrow I'll go back and see if I can catch him in.
Meanwhile! the LHS called and my TP-210v is in along with my 500 canopy like Glenn got with more yellow for easy acclamation while flying.

See ya Kid[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM

JPEE,

Cool to hear your balancer and canopy are in. It will be cool to hear how good the TP balancer is.

Nick
Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM

JPEE ~

The Common-Sense RC company is a good company and has been developing good products for gents with many happy from the forum also. I'll always like to buy there products FYI.... Tell em' my Blinky is still kickin' it for me !

Oh.... And ask them when there coming out with a 50c discharge lipo..... I wanna sign up....

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29522.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1150387  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.