Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

project

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project

Hi everyone........I just picked up a peanut scale kit after work today. Since I have no kits currently being built. I am starting again with this one. wingspan is 13 fuselage is 12 and I think it can be converted to micro rc with the right advice here. Anyone who can help? I have no idea how to power it and servo it. A simple rudder and speed control I think. Can anyone help me with this unconventional project? If not here, You can email me. Oh yeah...its a pecks polymer cougar. If this doesnt work, how about a guillows Lancer....? That one I already have. I moved this thread because I guess I was in the wrong forum...sorry
Old 08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project

Janet,

If you want to build a P-Nut scale model - Good for you! they are fun, but they can also be frustrating. The wood is very light and it needs a light touch to not break lots of parts just putting it together. I hadn't build one in 30 years and had to relearn how to pick something up and hold it without really touching it...

I suggest staying away from Guillows. I built a lot of them as a kid, and they are just too heavy to fly decently (ask your Dad and Uncle).

You can't get awwy with conventional gear in a P-nut - you will need to go to micro gear. My micro gear of choice is the RFFS from DWE ( http://www.smallrc.com ). These system use magnetic actuators instead of servos, a single light weight lithium polymer battery, M-20 geared motors. Total systen weight is 5 to 7 grams plus motor and prop (battery 3 to 4 gram, RFFS 1.6 grams, actuator 3/4 gram to 2.1 grams each and the motor control is built in).

These systems require a good bit of technique and fine work. I would recommend that you get one of DWE's combo packages - like the Lightning or Skeeter - to build just for the experience of dealing with this small sized gear. You can be working on the P-Nut while you get the easier to build one flying.

If 13" is too small and delicate, Dumas ( http://www.dumasproducts.com/ ) make walnut scale models (17" WS). These are beautiful models and a lot easier to build and not that much larger but reasonably stronger (you will crash them).

The next step up is the about-to-be-released 'Micro Joule' gear from Cirrus. I just ordered a flight pack from them that is about 9 grams (and $165) with 2 servos. This gear can go into 20 to 24 inch sized models.

Check the models on my (modest) web site for a few examples of RFFS P-nut and Walnut sized planes...