Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

DWE Pitts Bipe Flys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DWE Pitts Bipe Flys!!!

It took me less then a week to put together...The Key is: To keep It Light... I used red food coloring diluted with a few drops of water to get the color I wanted...You don't need an airbrush to shoot it on...Just an assortment of fine tip brushes worked perfectly; And a fine tipped sharpy marker for the lines. A gentle toss is all it took to fly.... It loops and torque rolls and zips around like the real thing, I crashed straight in at a whopping height of 6 feet on the 3rd flight last night at our local soccer field. The only thing I hurt was my ego and pride...The plane has very little mass so no damaged occured. Hmmmmmmm try that with a gasser??? If your looking for something different this Pitts is it!!!!!!!!! J.T.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default way to go, JT!

Micro stuff is pretty cool, huh? When a plane weighs less than an ounce, you just about have to sit on it to do any real damage.

How about sharing some pictures of your plane? Did you use the surface mounted actuators or go for the remote MiniMags or BSDs? Come on, show it off!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Posting pics???

I would love to show pics, but I'm still in the stone-age. My PC is an ancient 200 mHz with no USB port....What can I say, all my money goes on R/C.....If only my wife new what these little planes really cost$$$ Ha! Ha! Ha! J.T.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:24 PM

Default micro Ya

I also want to step up to Micro flying,just about finished with a Dumas Storch conversion and have been checking out the DWE stuff for the airborne package. Give us more info if you would please,,,I'm reading everything I can about Micro,indoor.and small flyer's.One thing that I'm not sure of is the transmitter,type,kind,etc.Maybe I haven't been doing enough reading after all.....Just picked up Fly RC mag and way cool. Great stuff...
Old 09-04-2003, 08:00 PM

Jimbo,

I really hate to recommend against the RFFS, but at 30", the Storch is too big to outfit with the RFFS. You would need to use a motor that is bigger (like the IPS, LPS, FireFLy, etc.) to get decent performance, and the RFFS would be pushing the amp limit of the built in engine speed control. Further more, the actuators may not have the poop to give solid control.

The model you have is much better sized for micro conventional gear like the 1/4 ounce receivers, 5 or 6 gram servos and other micro components that are available now.

The RFFS is much better suited to Dumas Walnut scale planes (17 1/2" WS), and other smaller and lighter models. If you look at the planes the DWE has tested and packaged as combos, you'll see that most of these are around 14" wing span. Smaller free flight models are also good choices since they are designed to be stable, even without controls.

If you are really interested in very small models, the RFFS is a good choice. You can use it with any transmitter you want to pick up, it is very light, and I have found them to be very reliable. I have 7 of them or so, and none has ever required service.

You should make sure you get a transmitter to get one with several 'memories' for holding set ups for several planes. I personally like Hitec gear; I've had very good luck with it.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Micro electronics

Hi jimbo, Merced is right arond the corner from here...Its nice to know others in our neck of the woods are interested in this fast growing hobby. I have to agree with Mike on the size of your model and trying to get the rffs-100 reciever and actuators to work...But don't despair, I fly a SIG Demoiselle and Antoinette with small recievers and hitec-50 and 55 servos. The recievers I use are the Skyhooks and Rigging hybrid recievers out of Canada. But whats really cool are the new Cirrus 3 gram servos and micro reciever that should be available from hobbypeople.com you can see them online and buy the combo set for around $150 bucks. Also, you may want to check-out RCMICROFLIGHT.COM thats where I started 6 months ago and haven't touched my gas stuff since......... Have Fun!!! Good-Luck!!! Your Friend, Jack
Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 PM

Default dumas

Thanks Mike, Its really easy to over look the obvious when we are dreaming, already the Storch is at 52gr.covered with decals,no motor or gear yet..I thought maybe with the li-ons and k-oo with actuator's it might stay under 3oz. I to am a Hitec nut,their all over...I'll pick a model with better convertibility,if thats a word! I do like stick and tissue...I sure would like to see some indoor events here someplace in mid to northern Ca.??Do you know of any such stuff? Here at our Merced club i"m known as Electric Jim, I'll led my children out of the darkness so he spoke. I go to the field with 3 electrics and one glow just so i"ll have something to clean when I get home... This forum stuff is new for me,there is a lot to learn..So back to the A-10 for some more tweaking. thanks E-jim
Old 09-04-2003, 09:29 PM

Default surf and micro

I love the boardwalk,,where else can you get a beer and corn dog and watch the babes walk by and by..thanks for the help. Do you know of any events where I could see the indoor stuff? I have more battery packs know than sense...I just converted a old Carl Goldberg Skylane 62 to elec. Magic Mahiem,greatplane 4/1 with a 13-4 apc slow fly,, on 8-2400 ni-mh,flys pretty good! a little high wing loaded, I built the plane like a rock 35 years ago..I will deffenety talk at you again... E-Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 01:11 AM

E-Jim,

Well, if you like stick-and-tissue, here is another source of planes that seem to be better suited to RFFS and other true micro setups. I just bought 5 different W.W I birds from Dave, and they are quite nice, on the same level as Dumas - nice wood, great laser cutting, etc. http://www.dpcmodels.homestead.com/

I'm trying to get a Sopwith Pup finsihed up for a conversion project. I'll take pictures and start a thread when I get farther along.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:53 AM

Default DPCMODELS

Just when I thought Iv'e seen them all....Another great website Thanks Mike for the DPC link. I really love the WW1 era!!! I'll have to order that Sopwith Tripe from DPC...Did you already order the TRIPE??? Just curious about the overall quality of their kits. They really look good from the photos................J.T.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:43 AM

JT,

No, I didn't order the Tripe. I got the Pup, the Albatross D-Va, the DH-5, BE-2e, and the Junkers D-1 (first all metal airplane).

I ran across his kits on a rubber power free flight forum (http://www.smallflyingarts.com/) where a number of people have built his kits. Everybody there seemed to be happy with his work...

I have started on the Pup, and the kit is very nice. Good laser cutting and very nice wood selection. Dave even includes laser cut wheels, props, rubber, vacuum formed parts, patterns for cockpit cut-outs and access panels, clear and easy to read plans, etc. The kits are cut to order, and he is constantly making improvements in each kit based on user feed-back.

The Junkers is an odd ball monoplane with corrogated metal skin; I plan to use 1/2 mm depron scored with a bamboo skewer to simulate the corrogated skin. It is a simple design that should be easy to convert to R/C.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:19 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DWE Pitts Bipe Flys!!!

JT,

Have you got ore flight time in yet? I'm wondering if you've got a chance to fly it indoors or dead air yet...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:04 PM

Hi Mike, I've only been able to fly outdoors, but I'm working on my sons coach to let me fly in the schools gym afterschool this week.. J.T.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Hello,

Did you get the full kit with the charger and all? I was wondering if it comes with every thing I need to fly, except the transmitter of course.

Thanx sonic
Old 08-08-2004, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (6)

What power system are you using. I know someone who built one and it barely had enough power to stay airborne, so it sure couldn't torque roll.....
Old 08-12-2004, 02:21 AM

Yah the bipe was very difficult to build. The bulkhead fuse formers will break during assembly and entire fuselage warped... I've been building models for 26 years and this one by far is a dog..underpowered. I even used food coloring instead of paint to save weight. Nothing can save this disaster............. On the other hand the Widget is the best...It will even thermal out of sight...Word of advice use the JMP narrow band reciever with all micro models...The RFFS has poor range and will pick-up interference from other transmitters.......Jack Trotter