Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Super-Newbie Micro

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super-Newbie Micro

I bought two Guillows balsa ROGs and rekindled an old flame. As a teenager I built a stick and tissue Guillows and a Slow flyer stick plane (I wish I could remember which one it was really great. It had white dihedral wings and a blue prop I think. This was in the 80's)

In my search for the slow flyer I found this page http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/cannedheat/ Being broke right now this seemed like a great project for a limited investment. Then I read some more and I was inspired to use my Guillow's ROG as a test plane. I figured I could get the RC etc right on the Guillow's, learn to fly a little, and then switch over to a stick and tissue plane later (most likely with a different motor and batteries).

So I am thinking now of getting the micro rc car and using the rc from that but instead of using the e-charger engine and prop I thought I'd try something smaller and lighter like a cell phone vibrator motor. I have seen these mentioned on sites but haven't seen any applications.

Does anyone know if I will need to gear the motor? Will it be strong enough? What cheap batteries would you recommend for a project like this? Does anyone have any recommendations for a sub $50 micro light project?

I am not expecting fantastic results from this project, I just want to get started with the limited funds on hand and the resources available to me.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and offer help.

Matt
Old 12-09-2002, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC

Hello all,

In my opinion, learning to fly on a homemade electric would be a bad idea. When you learn to fly your brain memorizes the motions that you make with your fingers in order to complete maneuvers or turns or landings. When you first learn how to fly your brain has no idea on how to control the plane. your most likeley going to crash if you try to teach yourself. Get a ARF electric ( like a traditional firebird, which is a great kit to learn on by the way )and have someone who knows what there doing teach you. Ask around at your local hobby shop the guys there will be glad to help you get started. Start with learning to fly RC then build your own and fly by yourself.

Gary