Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
My V tailed Pico Stick with ailerons >

My V tailed Pico Stick with ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

My V tailed Pico Stick with ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My V tailed Pico Stick with ailerons

This is my V tailed Pico Stick. It's not legal for the NIMPRA stock class, but it is for the indoor racing we do here.

You can see a little more detail at PylonWorld - Indoor Pylon
Old 01-21-2002, 04:51 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Wow! Looks like almost no dihedral, or none at all....

How well does it fly?
Old 01-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Banned

It flies great. I have to use low rates unless I want to race or do aerobatics. Rolls are tricky with the full span wing, but we don't allow any wing area decrease in our racing class. It will do 8-10 ft loops on high rates.

On low rates, it's so gentle, but still responsive, my 7 year old son learned to fly with it. But he's been flying RealFlight for a while.

Even though there is no dihedral, it's very stable. In a high banked turn, it does lose altitude unless you make it a tight turn.

It uses Elevon mixing. When an elevator is up, the corresponding aileron is down. So it's got ailerons and flaperons.

It has carbon fiber laminate CA'd to the stick on both sides. The stick is turned sideways, and the prop shaft is above the stick. It was very easy to build, and things jut kinda worked out.

I disconnect the ailerons for the NIMPRA stock class, and it still flies fine, just not with the same roll authority.

You can see (somewhat) how the elevator/aileron rigging is set up by going to the link below the picture.

I can make it a little more stable by turning the motor over. This puts the thrust line a more little below the wing.

It's been a fun plane.

I've been asked to to a construction article. If I get time, I'm going to do it. If you want to build one, I'll take some measurements and photos. I would have to for the article anyway.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:20 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Great Idea