Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Cheap set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap set-up

What is the cheapest set-up for a homade micro rc plane? I want it balsa...... but mainly I'm looking for the cheapest eletronics. I'm talking cheap like $50 under. ....... I'm just bored... I want something to build.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Cheap set-up

$50 I believe is ultimatly too low.

You need a
Radio
2x servos (minimum)
Reciver
Speed control
Motor
Batteries for motor
misc equipment like glue, control horns, etc.

http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/Std...5&adp=froggle1

Here is one of the cheaper systems I could find from GWS Its about $120 and includes the Speed controller,2x servos, reciver and radio. JR has a system that is $100 with out the speed controller from horizonhobby.com ..wich is about the same price because and esc will cost you 15-20 for a cheap gws one. NiMh batteries are going to cost you like $15 minimum. Do you have a battery charger? Thats another $20-25 MINIMUM.

Unless someone else knows of a cheaper system your looking at $150-200 minimum to radio equipment.
I've seen Slow stick packages around for $180-200 that include the plane

If you don't get any more answers the post in the radios etc section, I've found it very helpfull.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

50 bucks does limit you pretty badly, but depending on how small you want to go, and how much experience you have, you can take those little micro RC cars (the really tiny ones, for like 5 bucks) and use the electronics in them for an RC plane. it usually needs some modifications to get it working right, but its the cheapest route to go.

if you didnt go with the bit cars, you're gonna be looking at more money. but, last time i was at the hobby shop, they had a GWS flight pack that had two GWS narrow servos, RX, ESC, and an NiMH pack for 60 dollars. you'll still need a transmitter, charger, motor, and prop (another 60-80 bucks, roughly). ebay can be hit or miss on the equipment you might get, but there's usually some stuff for sale there.

unfortunately, micro RC is still pretty new on the market, so prices are still high (micro RX's still cost 75 dollars and higher). give it enough time and they'll drop in price. in the mean time, you could spend 30 dollars on an AeroAce and use the electronics from it to build your own twin engine plane. myself and LOTs others have done some pretty cool ones with it. all it takes is some glue and balsa.

nick
Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 PM

How do you make a rc plane out of those tiny cars?? I've seen pics. and stuff but could never find out how to build them. What kind of cars are you talking about? The zip zaps?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM

yes zip zaps if you want a good starter build i would try this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323292

it was my first micro build and it was pretty easy all you qestions will be answered there
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 PM

I think you are usng the stock motor in the car...... I read the istructions and I must say I'm a little confused[sm=confused.gif]. How did you make the gears??? Or did you buy them........?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:55 PM

I have this gearbox laying around from an old hoverdisc. Maybe these will work?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27891.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	458291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15268.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	458292  
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 PM

usualy the gears are in the cars so you just use those i took my motor out of a banged up air hogs but you can buy them if you dont want to build them yourself
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM

All right soooo I have a zipzap just waiting to be transformed into a plane. How do I set the gears up....? Other info. I need to know about building a plane out of a zip zap.... Please!!

Thanks!