Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Guillows Stuka (3/4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows Stuka (3/4)

Hello all.

I just registered today, after scouring the net for info on how to R/C smaller than average kits. I've got a Guillows Stuka, Series 1000 (the 3/4" one). I would like to micro-r/c it, but am not sure on whether to go gas/electric, or even how to do so. Should I follow the plans for U-Control or Free-flight? From looking around here, it looks like Ive stumbled on a goldmine of info and help (and I'm not the only one to try to do this). So, any help/suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. Oh, almost forgot...I DO have some experience with "regular" sized planes (I've built and flown an Eagle 2, so I'm not going to be completely lost with terms and explanations). Again, thanks for anything you can offer.

Conal.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 PM

Hey Conal,

I'm Tim in Warner Robins, Georgia.

I would think micro-sized servos and a .049 engine might suffice.

I'm also thinking the possibility of buying the guillows 34" Stuka and doubling measurements to get a larger plane.

I dislike ARF. So the more scratch building the better. Next I'll be growing my own balsa forrest

I would think micro-sized servos and a .049 engine might suffice.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Guys, sounds like great fun. Don't overlook electric. the batteries and motors are really good. I have flown and built for some thirty eight years and glow was the name of the game compared to electric for many years. Besides, electric is clean and quiet. I know that loud is OK but you might as well start going in that direction because the industry is. When you break your plane or the covering just tries to come off, it is easier to repair and you don't have to do all the extinsive cleaning as you would with a glow model. The other thing I like is that you don't have to worry about the engine sticking out or allow for exaust. NO FUEL PROFFING! ANY TYPE OF PAINT! The plane is easier to scale out in appearance.
By the time you invest in electric it will cost roughly the same as glow. The up side is that the batteries will give you a long life if properly cared for. They are easy to 'refuel' and you can upgrade the power by just putting one or two more cells depending on the package and what it will handle. A six vold motor with a 9.6 battery is a hot little package. Try it, you might like it. It also keeps you from getting fuel on moma's carpet or in the car. Take care. bigbird.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:11 AM

Hmm...

I hadnt looked into electric, as my last experience was with my RC10 T-3...Id charge it for 30 min, then run it for 15. What may be the estimated run time with the .049 as opposed to an electric setup. Also, would there be any problem with balance/weight? We are talking about a plane that only has a 34" wing span or so.... And, as the kit wasnt designed to have ailerons, I have to encorporate those, too...any suggestions? would keeping everthing (i.e ailerons, rudder and elevator) in scale with the kit screw up the flight characteristics?

Again, any help/suggestions you guys (or maybe women?) come up with are appreciated, as right now the fuselage is sitting forlornly on my workbench, as I sit around coming up with possible ideas of how to get around these small hurdles.

Thanks,
Conal.